What Does Edmonton's Lottery Win Mean For Us?

ForumGhost

I've heard Malcolm. Subban and Lucic going to Edmonton.

I know that if I was GM of that team, I would be looking for a goalie with top-tier potential to grow with the young core, rather than trying to take chances on free-agent goalies, or overpaying for someone decent in a trade who will walk away in a year or two. If they are serious about building a contending team that will be good for the length of time you have Hall, McDavid, RNH, etc., you need a cornerstone goalie. And as far as top-tier potential goalies that could be available, Fucale fits the bill better than anyone else I can think of. He's the right age, and MTL really doesn't need him.

I'm sure Edmonton will get a veteran for the next few years, but they need a Fucale in the long run. How often does jumping from journeyman goalie to journeyman goalie each year ever work? -coughphillycough

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that if I was GM of that team, I would be looking for a goalie with top-tier potential to grow with the young core, rather than trying to take chances on free-agent goalies, or overpaying for someone decent in a trade who will walk away in a year or two. If they are serious about building a contending team that will be good for the length of time you have Hall, McDavid, RNH, etc., you need a cornerstone goalie. And as far as top-tier potential goalies that could be available, Fucale fits the bill better than anyone else I can think of. He's the right age, and MTL really doesn't need him.

I'm sure Edmonton will get a veteran for the next few years, but they need a Fucale in the long run. How often does jumping from journeyman goalie to journeyman goalie each year ever work? -coughphillycough

I agree that they need to acquire a young goalie that will grow with them into the powerhouse that they should become. However, I think they need one that is a bit more established than Fucale at this point, someone like a Holtby. Goalies are near impossible to predict how they will turn out when they are in junior and the minor leagues. And while the Oilers are at it, they should also trade for a young stud on defense as well, otherwise all that talent up front will be wasted again and again. They will have to dangle Yakupov and or Draisatl out there to get what they need but it has to be done. Just the other day McTavish said something like " offense wins hockey games", ummm I think he should reevaluate his strategy because it's coming onto a decade of failure.

Edmonton needs a real starting goalie, two to three new defencemen and at least three new bottom six forwards with defensive ability and sense. Then they need brand new coaching that emphasizes learning proper backchecking and a few veterans that know adversity and how to win.

One McDavid ain't going to do much.

Hall

VS

Lekhonen Bournival Parenteau

Emelin Nygren

Fucale

Edm also sends two 6th round picks.

Do it. :thumbs_up:

Oiler management has been laughed at enough dont ya think.

ha! We want your best player, and we will give you six guys that we will not even notice are gone.