April 26 ~ Game 6: CAPITAL PUNISHMENT EDITION

It all matters, but on what matters most:

- 5 on 5 defending

- 5 on 5 scoring

- penalty kill

- powerplay

Habs fans still think PP is most important due to 07-08 but I've shown before that the best PP rarely gets you to the finals whereas a strong 5 on 5 and penalty kill is almost always a part of a final four playoff team.

Did not here anyone say it is "most important"

What i have noticed is a lot of hab fans pi$$ing on the importance of a good powerplay right after the habs pp went to $hit.

I dont base anything on the 2007 habs team. If i was pick a Canadiens team as a focal point it sure as hell would not be any team from that entire decade.

what natter most

Goaltending.

old saying.... "Goaltending is not everything, unless you dont have it"

Although a top PP hasn't been a "must-have" for cup winning teams.

But a top PK is, it seems.

This team has one of top 3 d-men, best goalie and no all-star forwards, so I guess shouldn't be a huge surprise PP has sucked for 2 years now.

That's like saying you don't use your left hand all that mush so it not important. Try living without one. One does not have to bad to make the other one good. You can have both, and this team should have both.

But they don't have a good PP and haven't for 2 years, is what it is.

BUT, teams win cups with shitty PPs, but with a crappy PK you are toast (and Habs PK hasn't been great, only 6 games but is 12th and I would almost worry more about that).

In a perfect world you have both being top notch of course!, but someone noted Habs had that several years ago and were out of playoffs rather quick (I cant remember exactly which year but don't matter)

This team has one of top 3 d-men, best goalie and no all-star forwards, so I guess shouldn't be a huge surprise PP has sucked for 2 years now..

you dont need 5 superstars in order for your powerplay not to suck for and entire season.

I won't go through it all again but Kings won the Cup last year with the 6th best powerplay in the playoffs while the Rangers made it to the finals with the 11th best PP of the playoffs (worse than the Habs). Year before that Chicago had the 13th best PP beating Boston's 8th best playoff PP. 2011-2012 had the Kings at 12th and the Devils at 9th.

Just look at this stat comparison from this season:

5 on 5 GF/GA Ratio:

1. New York

2. Tampa Bay

3. Nashville

4. Chicago

5. Montreal

Powerplay %:

1. Washington

2. Detroit

3. Philadelphia

4. St. Louis

5. Columbus

Which list would you rather be in?

• Upvote 2

But they don't have a good PP and haven't for 2 years, is what it is.

BUT, teams win cups with shitty PPs, but with a crappy PK you are toast (and Habs PK hasn't been great, only 6 games but is 12th and I would almost worry more about that).

In a perfect world you have both being top notch of course!, but someone noted Habs had that several years ago and were out of playoffs rather quick (I cant remember exactly which year but don't matter)

Funny in all my years watching and talking about hockey with fellow hab fans I never heard so much talk about how little the powerplay means.

Heck why even give the other team a man advantage for a penalty, the man advantage means nothing. Or lets make the penalties ten minutes instead of two. Dont matter anyway. Its not really even and advantage to play with the man advantage. :nuts:

I won't go through it all again but Kings won the Cup last year with the 6th best powerplay in the playoffs while the Rangers made it to the finals with the 11th best PP of the playoffs (worse than the Habs). Year before that Chicago had the 13th best PP beating Boston's 8th best playoff PP. 2011-2012 had the Kings at 12th and the Devils at 9th.

5 on 5 GF/GA Ratio:

1. New York

2. Tampa Bay

3. Nashville

4. Chicago

5. Montreal

Powerplay %:

1. Washington

2. Detroit

3. Philadelphia

4. St. Louis

5. Columbus

The one where we win the cup. It looks like neither of those list Nashville already out. TB hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Those lists prove the square root of nothing. We obviously will never agree so you keep your opinion and I will keep mine. We are both entitled to do that.

We can both say" There is none so blind as he who will not see" a little tidbit for Toronto hab.

The one where we win the cup. It looks like neither of those list Nashville already out. TB hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Those lists prove the square root of nothing. We obviously will never agree so you keep your opinion and I will keep mine. We are both entitled to do that.

We can both say" There is none so blind as he who will not see" a little tidbit for Toronto hab.

Hahahaha! Thanks.. it describes me pretty damned accurately most days.. :rofl:

5 on 5 GF/GA Ratio:

1. New York

2. Tampa Bay

3. Nashville

4. Chicago

5. Montreal

Powerplay %:

1. Washington

2. Detroit

3. Philadelphia

4. St. Louis

5. Columbus

I want to be on the list that desperately searches for unhappiness. Oh wait, that's my ignore list on HW.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Same lines in practice. It would be nice to see Eller moved up to at least line 2 with P.A and Chuck.

Maybe a less aggressive forecheck helps DD, but I've seen enough of him. This guys gets knocked down every time he tries to lean against a defender while he's carrying the puck.

Plekanec has gone dry too, not creating anything with Pacioretty. Pacioretty might benefit from playing with a guy like Eller who plays the possession game and creates space. Sound like a broken record.

Plekanec has gone dry too, not creating anything with Pacioretty. Pacioretty might benefit from playing with a guy like Eller who plays the possession game and creates space. Sound like a broken record.

Plekanec and Pacioretty didn't play together for most of the first round. They were only put together late in Game 5 and have just shy of 22 ES minutes on the same line together. It's a bit early to suggest those two aren't creating anything; they haven't had much time to actually do that. And their line did score the lone 'real' goal in Game 6.

Guest Stogey24

Plekanec and Pacioretty didn't play together for most of the first round. They were only put together late in Game 5 and have just shy of 22 ES minutes on the same line together. It's a bit early to suggest those two aren't creating anything; they haven't had much time to actually do that. And their line did score the lone 'real' goal in Game 6.

Gallagher's goal had nothing to do with Plekanec or Pacioretty

Gallagher's goal had nothing to do with Plekanec or Pacioretty

Plekanec did have an assist but yes, it was a very good individual effort by Gallagher. 1 game together still isn't enough to say that the duo isn't really creating anything though. Didn't Pacioretty set up Plekanec on that SH 2-on-1 last game (that Plekanec fired over the net)?

Plekanec did have an assist but yes, it was a very good individual effort by Gallagher. 1 game together still isn't enough to say that the duo isn't really creating anything though. Didn't Pacioretty set up Plekanec on that SH 2-on-1 last game (that Plekanec fired over the net)?

And a beauty set up it was. Why doesn't my spell check work?

Guest Stogey24

Ya, that is true. I just didn't see anything from Pacioretty from scoring perspective.

Plekanec is 100% a shoot first guy, as is Pacioretty(or should be). I have no idea, but it may be that Pacioretty feels a bit obligated to pass the puck to Plek, when he really should be shooting. I'll probably get big fat minus for this one, but the weakest part of Pacioretty's game is his passing, without question.

I just read this on spectors site. I found it interesting. Of the teams which advanced to the second round, the Habs are the lowest-scoring team (sitting 15th in goals and power-play percentage), with the second-worst penalty kill while giving up the second-most shots-against per game

That sounds like Berkshire

Spector is drinking the Kool Aid. He said Montreal had the worst defense in the playoffs because of Corsi. The Habs were #1 in GA at the time. I mentioned it in the comment section and he doubled down.

Advanced Stats, imo, are a blogging conspiracy to create more content. You could write ten article a day on Corsi if you wanted to.

Berkshire on the other hand needs to give his Therrien crap a rest. He's losing his credibility.

Spector is drinking the Kool Aid. He said Montreal had the worst defense in the playoffs because of Corsi. The Habs were #1 in GA at the time. I mentioned it in the comment section and he doubled down.

Advanced Stats, imo, are a blogging conspiracy to create more content. You could write ten article a day on Corsi if you wanted to.

Berkshire on the other hand needs to give his Therrien crap a rest. He's losing his credibility.

I don't know LM I read that snippet again and I see no reference to corsi or any other of the so called fancy stats. Looked to me that he pointing out actual stats. I have absolutely no interest and hence no understanding of any the goofy stats. Nor do I read Bershire.

Yes Pacs set up Pleks, and Turtleneck missed a wide open net from 3 feet . Learned that from Gionta.

He already bet his credibility on the Diaz/Weise trade.