May 1 ~ Game One: Montreal v.s. Tampa Bay

It's Tradition Incarnate versus Bettman-baby phoney-baloney expansion franchise...

It's Hart & Vezina nominee Carey Price versus Steven Stamkos...

It's a rematch of last playoff's 4-0 sweep...

It's...

THE MONTREAL CANADIENS (4-2)

485782447_slide.jpg

VERSUS

THE TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING (4-3)

image.jpg

THE MONTREAL CANADIENS' LINEUP (projected)

Pacioretty - Plekanec -Gallagher

Galchenyuk- Desharnais - Weise

Prust - Eller - Parenteau

DeLaRose -Mitchell - Smith-Pelly

Markov-Subban

Emelin-Petry

Gilbert-Pateryn

Price

Tokarski

Injuries: Beaulieu

Scratches: Flynn, Malholtra, Gonchar, Weaver

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING LINEUP (projected)

Killorn - Stamkos - Callahan

Palat - Johnson - Kucherov

Namestnikov - Flippula - Paquette

Morrow - Boyle - Nesterov

Hedman - Stralman

Garrison - Coburn

Carle - Sustr

Bishop

Vasilevskiy

Time: 7:00 PM EST
TV: CBC, TVA Sports, NBCSN

hqdefault.jpg

• Upvote 1

How crazy is the Bell going to be tonight?!! In the words of former NY Jet Bart Scott....CAN'T WAIT!! :flaming:

It may depend on whether or not it sells out. Tickets were still available as of yesterday...

Seems odd eh.

I thought someone noted tickets were still available today?

It took until right before game time to sell out the first couple of games from last round too. It appears the Habs may be approaching the limit that they can crank up the prices with enough people willing to still buy them (though they really raised them this round)

It took until right before game time to sell out the first couple of games from last round too. It appears the Habs may be approaching the limit that they can crank up the prices with enough people willing to still buy them (though they really raised them this round)

I think people expect the Habs to go deeper, so unlike the past, they're putting off when to go to their yearly playoff game.

Tampa is out for me. My buddy who I go to the games with quit real estate and got a job with a set schedule. Just as well, there are better places I can put 150-200$.

It's all about the money honey. We Habs fans will pay almost anything to see them play, looks like thy know where almost is.

D Pairings for PP:

Petry - Subban

Markov - Emelin

At first I cringed about the PP2 but then I remembered that they won't play much. I also like Petry on the PP1, he plays deep for a D-man and won't spend as much time just setting up stuff.

It's interesting that they're going 2 righties/2 lefties. Can't hurt them any more though than it is now.

D Pairings for PP:

Petry - Subban

Markov - Emelin

At first I cringed about the PP2 but then I remembered that they won't play much. I also like Petry on the PP1, he plays deep for a D-man and won't spend as much time just setting up stuff.

I hope it's more Subban LD - Petry RD though.

Yes I agree, now they can stop wasting time with the ridiculous switch that PK and AM always do. The entire hockey watching world know where the puck will go, and Subban will one-time it..what's with the bs alignment? GET IN YOUR SPOT AND STAY THERE FFS. As if that cunning switcheroo is fooling anyone. :bonk:

I hope it's more Subban LD - Petry RD though.

I don't see it working the way our brain first thinks. Petry likes to play deep. He's quite good at it. I don't see him playing the point as much as allowing a RH on the left wall and freeing Pacioretty up to go where the open ice is. Gallagher stays as a RH on the right wall. That opens up Desharnais to pull back and make passes with Subban. If something goes wrong, both Subban and Petry have the wheels to get back.

Yes I agree, now they can stop wasting time with the ridiculous switch that PK and AM always do. The entire hockey watching world know where the puck will go, and Subban will one-time it..what's with the bs alignment? GET IN YOUR SPOT AND STAY THERE FFS. As if that cunning switcheroo is fooling anyone. :bonk:

Yea that system is tested and proven to be one of the weaker powerplays in the nhl..................but the coaching staff seems to think it will all of a sudden start clicking.

Guest Stogey24

I don't see it working the way our brain first thinks. Petry likes to play deep. He's quite good at it. I don't see him playing the point as much as allowing a RH on the left wall and freeing Pacioretty up to go where the open ice is. Gallagher stays as a RH on the right wall. That opens up Desharnais to pull back and make passes with Subban. If something goes wrong, both Subban and Petry have the wheels to get back.

Subban was going back door a lot on the PP in practice apparently.

:gohabsgo::gohabsgo::gohabsgo:

May The Chicoutimi Cucumber post game threads for many days to come.

I honestly don't feel as good about this matchup as I did vs the Sens, despite many people feeling as though it was a bad matchup for us. With that being said, I still have complete faith in the ability of our team. I actually think the key will be to continue to shut down Stamkos like the Red Wings were able to. I had a thought the other day in that I wondered if there are any coaches out there who are friends with each other and whether or not they would ever discuss strategies with another team once they were eliminated. For instance, say Babcock and Therrien were friends, they could discuss Babcock's strategy in shutting Stammer down. Obviously, Therrien and his staff could just as easily watch video but the question remains in general.

Back on topic, Stamkos had Carey's number this season and so mentally he doesn't have that block when it comes to facing Price. I'm not so worried about any of the other players because Price can frustrate pretty much anyone other than a few snipers. So my keys to victory would be shutting Stamkos down, Price playing solid and hopefully generating some offence on the powerplay.

Here's to hoping we pull out a solid performance.

Powerplay has been average to bad for two years. If it clicks for a couple great, but we have to win without one. I dont expect it to turn around in the quarter finals. Especially with how bad it was against sens. No our meal ticket, CP will have to be at his best for the next two weeks or we are done. We know that, the team knows that, the coach knows that, and the rest of the league knows that. We are not one of the many teams that are advancing with average goaltending, back up goaltending or using both goalies. Surprising how many teams have are going that this year.

go Carey!

Stammer a streak scorer. Hope he does not find his touch in this series, and Max does! Both streaky.

It's Tradition Incarnate versus Bettman-baby phoney-baloney expansion franchise...

I wholely object to this characterization of Tampa Bay. Putting a team in Tampa was entirely about making Hockey accessible to more Canadians... in particular, the Québecois retirees who live there for 180 days a year and seem to make up a significant demographic in the area. :D

A minor tidbit: With de la Rose playing tonight, he'll suit up in Game #40 for the season with Montreal. This means he will accrue one season towards UFA status; in other words, he'll be UFA-eligible one year early.

I wholely object to this characterization of Tampa Bay. Putting a team in Tampa was entirely about making Hockey accessible to more Canadians... in particular, the Québecois retirees who live there for 180 days a year and seem to make up a significant demographic in the area. :D

:nuts::nuts::nuts: Tampa as the 8th Canadian franchise? I say give them the title, provided they restrict their roster to players aged 65 and up. :monkey: