Fire Bergevin

If Justin Williams pulls a Gionta and wants a three year deal I stay away. If he wants one or two years? I'd definitely take a flyer on him if we buy out Parenteau. Same with Ward.

Soderberg I'd take if we traded Eller away.

Cole is a cripple, Vermette is streaky and overrated, Frolik is good but will probably look for a Jussi Jokinen type deal. Matt Beleskey is another but he'll get a five year deal somewhere he doesn't deserve.

About RW, none is better than Gallagher. I'd pass.

Gallagher makes scoring happen, however...

(1) He can't be out there all the time.

(2) He was too small to dislodge the horseshoe from Bishop's arse with just "incidental contact."

We need more than one capable right wing.

1st line RW...Ovie :ph34r:

Haha I know I'm expecting a miracle there..would McCarron be any less outrageous? We'll see I guess

Not sure if outrageous, but good joke. McCarron top six, haha!

Guest Stogey24

I think we'd all love to see Mccarron play in Montreal. The kid definitely needs a couple years in the A to figure out exactly where he stands as a pro though

Gallagher makes scoring happen, however...

(1) He can't be out there all the time.

(2) He was too small to dislodge the horseshoe from Bishop's arse with just "incidental contact."

We need more than one capable right wing.

Yeah I know. But I would aim way higher than Justin Williams or Eric Cole.

When we fire Bergevin, who might be the new GM? Maybe that needs it own thread? :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Lou Lammarillo is available, maybe he as GM and Babcock as coach? Sweet!

JFJr

I am going to assume that was a joke--and not a good one.

If not, you need to go lie down in a dark room, put a cool cloth on your head and take your medicine.

Repeat as necessary until the delusion that replacing Marc Bergevin with JFJ would be an improvement goes away. Seek additional help if necessary

Right on Petry, terribly, terribly wrong on Lacroix. Going into next season with exactly the same coaching configuration is unacceptable, unless management can offer some more plausible explanation for the catastrophic PP problems.

Many here are ready to accept the excuse that scorers aren't available or the price is too high. Bergevin reiterated this again this morning, suggesting that there are no trades for scorers made on the horizon. Here is the list of "scorers" meaning players on the top three lines that have been traded in the last two years. Sure, many of these deals didn't work out, and some of them aren't great, but the idea that there's no offense available is a J-O-K-E.

2014-2015

Chris Stewart
Curtis Glencross
Erik Cole

Jaromir Jagr
Jiri Tlusty
Evander Kane
Drew Stafford
David Perron
Derek Roy
Jason Spezza
PA Parenteau
Sam Gagner
Ryan Kesler
Nick Bonino
James Neal
Patric Hornqvist
Scott Hartnell

2013-2014

Marty St Louis
Ryan Callahan
Ales Hemsky
Vanek*
Matt Moulson
Marian Gaborik
David Legwand
Tuomo Ruutuu
Lee Stempniak **
Shawn Matthias
Dustin Penner
Martin Erat
Brandon Pirri
Chris Stewart**
Pierre Marc Bouchard
Peter Holland
Thomas Vanek**
Mathieu Perreault
David Perron**
Bobby Ryan
Jacob Silfverberg
Tyler Seguin
Rich Peverly
Loui Eriksson
Reilly Smith
Shawn Horcoff
Nino Niederreiter
Dave Bolland
Michael Frolik
Alex Tanguay

Forty-seven scorers were traded in the last two years. Bergevin got a deal for Vanek at the tenth bell and got PA.

WEAK

Direct Quote:

"We'd all like to add a 25 goal scorer, they're not around, they're not available." Tell that to Yzerman, Peter Chiarelli, Glen Sather and Jim Nill who get big pieces every year.

LM - I agree with your point, but I see you listed Parenteau in your list from last year. If you're going to include him in the "list of scorers" - then you have to give Bergevin credit for going out and getting him.

I, instead, see him as a bit of a cautionary tale, on not being willing to settle for a "scorer" that doesn't fit with your team makeup.

Quote from MB this morning.

"Our power play did struggle, we finished 23rd in the league. In the playoffs we got better, I think we were 16th in the league, but there were only 16 teams left. There’s some progress there."

I hope he was kidding cause being last is no improvement.

Well, I expected that Lacroix will be fired so I'm a little bit shocked*

I'd have been shocked if he was fired. He's by far their most experienced and qualified of their regular assistant coaches, they weren't letting him go after one season. If the PP continues to be anemic into next year, that could change but his coaching pedigree earns him a second shot.

Unfortunately, the Hamilton/St. John's coaching staff is staying intact. Three years of ineptitude and Lefebvre still has a job. If they're being that patient with someone who loses all the time, they're not firing Lacroix after one year.

Edit: Stephan Lebeau won't be back on the AHL staff next year. That's good news at least.

I don't think it's fair to look at a 12 game snapshot of the season (Montreal's playoff run this year) and base performance appraisal on those 12 games. Teams are streaky, they go through highs and lows. It's the lucky team, more than the best team, that stays high long enough to win 16 playoff games in a year.

The powerplay, however, is not a playoff-only problem. It was particularly bad in the playoffs, but it was bad all year. This is an issue we need to address in some way.

Bergevin said you can't trade for number one centers because they are not available and would cost Carey Price.

He's pretty much right. The two number one centers that got moved recently were moved by teams in our division who weren't gonna move them to Montreal for anything other than a Carey Price level overpayment (Ottawa and Boston). Ryan Kesler is a top six center we might have been able to get but he was basically traded for Brendan Gallagher, Nathan Beaulieu, a first and a third. Anyone wanna pay that for Backes, who's basically the same?

Everyone wants to add a top six scorer but nobody wants to give up a top six scorer to do it.

For a team that couldn't buy a goal to keep their season alive, that is a long ass list.

Keep in mind that Vanek was a miracle deal, so Bergevin was prepared to go into the playoffs with scoring problems two years in a row. The betting man says three.

Guest Stogey24

Right on Petry, terribly, terribly wrong on Lacroix. Going into next season with exactly the same coaching configuration is unacceptable, unless management can offer some more plausible explanation for the catastrophic PP problems.

It's tough for guys to score goals when they don't have a strategy for entering the offensive zone; that's on coaching staff. I can't believe they're not making any personnel changes.

Knowing already that you are not changing coaching staff? Why so emphatic? Got all summer, ideas, possibilities, people may become available. Why such a staunch stand on this coaching staff who's power play is pathetic? Sounds like a bunch of suits who have become buddies and everybody is staying cozy. :thumbs_down:

With that attitude and take my concern is that the Habs will stay a mere decent "regular season team" for years to come.

I mean if that horrible power play is not cause for a change somewhere? What else do they and will they find as acceptable.