Fire Bergevin

6 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

You're putting too many peanuts into one basket. What happens when Drouin gets injured? 

I understand that sometimes timing is everything but Bergevin should have been focused on locking up Radulov prior to trading for Drouin.

It seems as though he was fine with either outcome. We can argue all we want but having Radulov on the team would have clearly given us a better shot at the ultimate goal next year. Not only that, it seems as though it would have been possible if he were more focused on the task at hand. Tell him to entertain other offers but to get back to us if something better comes up.

I'm not pleased with Radulov either though and there is a chance he really was the one being difficult. 

Difficult no, he simply let his agent get him the best contract he could for him. Was said Habs would need to ante up $7.1 m/yr to match value of Dallas offer, so you think Habs should of been "focused" on paying whatever was required to lock up Radulov?

So $7.25m/yr would of been fine with you?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Difficult no, he simply let his agent get him the best contract he could for him. Was said Habs would need to ante up $7.1 m/yr to match value of Dallas offer, so you think Habs should of been "focused" on paying whatever was required to lock up Radulov?

So $7.25m/yr would of been fine with you?

No but it shouldn't have taken 7.25 million to sign him. Everyone can spin it that way but we still have 12+ forwards, 6+ defensemen and 2+ goalies who play for us despite the tax situation.

It can be viewed as though Bergevin was stern and that's fair as you don't want a GM with no backbone. On the other hand, Radulov was an important piece for us and you don't throw him into a bucket with Markov and say "first come, first served." That shows a certain level of indifference to the individual.

I think Radulov should have been enticed to a greater extent prior to the Canadiens having to compete with other teams. No, I don't think Radulov should have gotten 7.25 million but you're basically telling me that it was going to be impossible to sign him or resign him at any point ever and I don't buy that. Would I have given him

slightly more than Dallas to stay with us? I sure would have.

When Radulov was doing well with us 20

games into the season, it was "too early" to tell if he was really that good according to Bergevin. He was already starting his hardball negotiations then. Radulov was Bergevin's best acquisition and one year later he has nothing to show for it. I'm not on the negative side of the fence for the Weber trade but so much for their friendship being an enticing reason for Radulov to play with us.

I understand that some posters get tired of the negativity but I'm often the one on the supporting side. I need to see more what happens throughout the rest of this off season before I pass my final judgement.

8 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

No but it shouldn't have taken 7.25 million to sign him. Everyone can spin it that way but we still have 12+ forwards, 6+ defensemen and 2+ goalies who play for us despite the tax situation.

How many of those playing for us 'despite the tax situation' are doing so BY CHOICE?  You can't compare a guy with the freedom to chose, a full-fledged UFA who is in very high demand, with players who signed contracts with little to no bargaining power or arrived via trade.  Carey Price sure demanded an overpay to remain with the team, because he was going to be in the same situation as Radulov next July 1: in high demand with the freedom to chose.

5 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Radulov is a mercenary.

He always was and always will be. Nothing wrong with that either but we can't afford a guy like that.

I guess we can't afford any players if that's the case.  If we didn't pay what Price wanted, he would be a mercenary as well.  

theae are professional athletes.  Their are very few players like Dian who will stick with their teams despite having better opportunities elsewhere.  Even in Dian's case, he was comfortable and liked the city he was in and didn't want to leave.  Now it's the team forcing him out.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I guess we can't afford any players if that's the case.  If we didn't pay what Price wanted, he would be a mercenary as well.  

theae are professional athletes.  Their are very few players like Dian who will stick with their teams despite having better opportunities elsewhere.  Even in Dian's case, he was comfortable and liked the city he was in and didn't want to leave.  Now it's the team forcing him out.

Oh no we can afford players at the right price. Price got the contract that he deserved the same contract Hank got, Price is the face of this franchise.

Radulov has always been a mercenary. He showed it in Nashville and then in Russia and now again in Montreal. I also said that their is nothing wrong with that but the way Montreal is right now with the cap you can't afford a mercenary like Radulov. Unless you think 7-8 per year for 5 years is a practical contract for him at this stage of his career.

2 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Oh no we can afford players at the right price. Price got the contract that he deserved the same contract Hank got, Price is the face of this franchise.

Radulov has always been a mercenary. He showed it in Nashville and then in Russia and now again in Montreal. I also said that their is nothing wrong with that but the way Montreal is right now with the cap you can't afford a mercenary like Radulov. Unless you think 7-8 per year for 5 years is a practical contract for him at this stage of his career.

But we can afford wasting $1m and time and roster space on a washed out bum like hemsky??? This is worse than the semin signing.

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

But we can afford wasting $1m and time and roster space on a washed out bum like hemsky???

For one year? Lol come on now, we wanted Radulov back but it had to make sense. 

If you think the Pleks contract is bad wait until you see Radulovs in a couple years.

• Upvote 1

It's true though, if the tax thing is anything, it's an excuse. I'm not saying Radulov's agent didn't bring it up, but it's the reality that our team has to live with and you have to identify your priorities and go after them. It's entirely possible Radulov would have said no to 6.5 but I would have given it to him.

If we didn't trade for Drouin our offense would be weak without him and Radulov but if we didn't trade for Drouin, we wouldn't have lost our best prospect and may have been able to give Radulov a little more money to make him stay. We spent the extra million on Hemsky now so let's see what we do with the other 6 mil. Markov & Hemsky vs Radulov perhaps. I certainly see both sides of this debate. 

Did we sign Radulov thinking he would stink and we could afford him the following year? Or did we sign him because we were all in last year, knowing we wouldn't be able to afford him in 2017-2018? It's really one or the other and neither one is a pretty reason.

As for the tax thing overall, it's certainly relevant but New York, Toronto and Montreal all landed some of the bigger fish this year in free agency in Shattenkirk, Marleau and Alzner. California also attracts players and generally has competitive teams and their tax situation is high as well.

3 minutes ago, DON said:

"Ignore" helps.

There wouldn't be many posts to read if I did that. There are some rational posts that I enjoy reading that can objectively look at a transaction and give an opinion one way or the other. And then there are those frothing at the mouth at anything Bergevin does, which dilutes any intelligent conversation. 

• Upvote 2

Although I just made a post in another thread including Bergevin's name, none of my posts here are really against Bergevin, although this would be the place to do it. They're more about losing out on Radulov. 

On 7/4/2017 at 11:32 AM, Scott462 said:

Radulov is a mercenary.

He always was and always will be. Nothing wrong with that either but we can't afford a guy like that.

My uncle used to drive a Mercenary. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2017 at 1:11 PM, Habsfan1989 said:

Bergevin better wrap his key players up in bubble wrap and hope they don't get hurt all year. Because if they do look out its going to be a long year.

got news for ya, aside from a few of the very elite teams, any team who sustains injuries to key players generally suffers. You think Tampa flops like they did without the key injuries they had? LA Kings? Florida? 

We ourselves got hit for a stretch there Galchenyuk, Shaw, Desharnais, Gallagher, Markov. Our ability to fight through those roster player losses was tested, all while we had a coach who was losing his room, and still we won a division. This team is more than a Drouin or a Galchenyuk away from disaster. It basically comes down to as long as Price is healthy, and Weber stays healthy, this team will have a chance to win more than it loses. 

Every team has the couple Achilles heel players, where if they go down it likely spells disaster for you. Ours is Price, we were reminded of that much not so long ago, and very likely Weber. Care to wonder how well L.A Does without Quick and Doughty in their lineup for a long stretch? How about Tampa without Stamkos and Hedman? What if Nasville lost Rinne and Josi for half a season? would they still be the team we saw in the playoffs? Maybe Washington would survive the loss of Ovechkin and Holtby? i'n sure they would still win the presidents trophy if they got hurt right?

As you can see every team suffers from the same "Bubble wrap the key player" theory, because it is with them that your team becomes elite, it is through them that your team succeeds. Sometimes you guys put way too much energy into the doomsday theories to try and showcase how weak Our team is. You are so quick to forget if you place the same doomsday theory on 95% of the league, the results would be just as catastrophic. We spew feces and piss at management, the players, the choices, the trades, the signings, acting like this team barely stayed out of the Lottery pick, like it will likely be a lottery pick this coming season. Yet there we were, division champions, far from any lottery, a good team, a competitive team, but not quite a contender, something more than half the fan bases in this league did not have. But this is Montreal, and here the fickle minds erase all positives when you go out in the first round, erase all positives about trading for one of the best young talents in this league, because Radulov decided to walk.

Here, you lose in the wrong round, and you might as well be a lottery pick, screw bad luck, or we deserved better, nope it is all bollocks, burn it all to the ground we have 29 holes in this roster and a Management that is completely wasted 24/7. Here you lose the wrong player and you might as well not even bother evaluating the one taking his place, won't ever be as good, not a good replacement, won't be as exciting. It god damn wears me out to be a fan of this team sometimes, not because of what I see on the ice, but because of what I see away from it, from our own fan base at times, the lack of better judgment, objectivity, and downright reason, is a very disheartening thing to see.

Sorry...that concludes my rant, not pointing at anyone in particular with this statement just a generalization of our fan base in my view, and I am also not saying this Management is not without its faults, because it has some. I'm just saying the team doesn't suck, and the management doesn't screw everything up they touch or look at, when will we all start acting like it? When will we start acting like there is simply still more mountain to climb and to keep pushing forward? instead of like we are in the middle of an avalanche gasping for air?

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Link67 said:

got news for ya, aside from a few of the very elite teams, any team who sustains injuries to key players generally suffers. You think Tampa flops like they did without the key injuries they had? LA Kings? Florida? 

We ourselves got hit for a stretch there Galchenyuk, Shaw, Desharnais, Gallagher, Markov. Our ability to fight through those roster player losses was tested, all while we had a coach who was losing his room, and still we won a division. This team is more than a Drouin or a Galchenyuk away from disaster. It basically comes down to as long as Price is healthy, and Weber stays healthy, this team will have a chance to win more than it loses. 

Every team has the couple Achilles heel players, where if they go down it likely spells disaster for you. Ours is Price, we were reminded of that much not so long ago, and very likely Weber. Care to wonder how well L.A Does without Quick and Doughty in their lineup for a long stretch? How about Tampa without Stamkos and Hedman? What if Nasville lost Rinne and Josi for half a season? would they still be the team we saw in the playoffs? Maybe Washington would survive the loss of Ovechkin and Holtby? i'n sure they would still win the presidents trophy if they got hurt right?

As you can see every team suffers from the same "Bubble wrap the key player" theory, because it is with them that your team becomes elite, it is through them that your team succeeds. Sometimes you guys put way too much energy into the doomsday theories to try and showcase how weak Our team is. You are so quick to forget if you place the same doomsday theory on 95% of the league, the results would be just as catastrophic. We spew feces and piss at management, the players, the choices, the trades, the signings, acting like this team barely stayed out of the Lottery pick, like it will likely be a lottery pick this coming season. Yet there we were, division champions, far from any lottery, a good team, a competitive team, but not quite a contender, something more than half the fan bases in this league did not have. But this is Montreal, and here the fickle minds erase all positives when you go out in the first round, erase all positives about trading for one of the best young talents in this league, because Radulov decided to walk.

Here, you lose in the wrong round, and you might as well be a lottery pick, screw bad luck, or we deserved better, nope it is all bollocks, burn it all to the ground we have 29 holes in this roster and a Management that is completely wasted 24/7. Here you lose the wrong player and you might as well not even bother evaluating the one taking his place, won't ever be as good, not a good replacement, won't be as exciting. It god damn wears me out to be a fan of this team sometimes, not because of what I see on the ice, but because of what I see away from it, from our own fan base at times, the lack of better judgment, objectivity, and downright reason, is a very disheartening thing to see.

Sorry...that concludes my rant, not pointing at anyone in particular with this statement just a generalization of our fan base in my view, and I am also not saying this Management is not without its faults, because it has some. I'm just saying the team doesn't suck, and the management doesn't screw everything up they touch or look at, when will we all start acting like it? When will we start acting like there is simply still more mountain to climb and to keep pushing forward? instead of like we are in the middle of an avalanche gasping for air?

Good post

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

:clap: Well put, but you can already hear the peanut gallery getting fired up with something out to lunch about bum buddies, team fuddy duddy or some other cynical crap.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DON said:

:clap: Well put, but you can already hear the peanut gallery getting fired up with something out to lunch about bum buddies, team fuddy duddy or some other cynical crap.

Yah...current iteration peaked three seasons ago, traded most dynamic player last year, lost most dynamic player this year, and Ales Hemsky wasn't even off the bus when GarbageBin signed the second coming of the Luongo deal. So much winning we will all get tired of winning soon enough.

Let us recall that the root of the word fanatic is fan.

That just makes me crazee!!!

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't I happier? 

12 hours ago, Link67 said:

I'm just quoting this so people can read it again

12 hours ago, Link67 said:

What if Nasville lost Rinne and Josi for half a season? would they still be the team we saw in the playoffs?

They would survive. Saros is going to be their starter soon. Losing Josi would hurt but the team would endure, just like they did when losing Johansen.

It's like everyone forgets when Markov went down twice and the Habs still found ways to make the playoffs. A big part of it was finding a good replacement on the market. I believe strongly had Montreal traded for Reimer they would have made the playoffs in 15-16. Instead Bergevin tanked the year when still at the top of the division and acquired Scrivens. Some might think that was the right decision in order to get a better draft pick but if your goal is to win the Cup, you shouldn't be purposely tanking your season.