Fire Bergevin

2 hours ago, Chris said:

The habs D was very slow and immobile. 

The Replacements are much better skaters, except Streit probably. 

For this reason alone i think they will move the puck out of there zone. Markov's brain and hockey sense is still fantastic, unfortunately he can't skate anymore. 

I think if Jerebek turns out to be decent, i think they will be fine.

This team is all about Price period. Hopefully the offense wakes up

My thing is, offence starts from the back end. I don't see how a team of blueliners making good outlet passes to a mediocre FW unit, while adding zero to the table offensively beyond that apart from Weber's point shot, is going to 'wake up the offence.' In any case, it's a curious little experiment MB is running. And I'm sure that if it flops, it will be entirely the players' fault :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My thing is, offence starts from the back end. I don't see how a team of blueliners making good outlet passes to a mediocre FW unit, while adding zero to the table offensively beyond that apart from Weber's point shot, is going to 'wake up the offence.' In any case, it's a curious little experiment MB is running. And I'm sure that if it flops, it will be entirely the players' fault :rolleyes:

If it flops, his time will have run out and it will be time to fire him before any more damage is done. Right now I am in the fire MB, or don't, or meh... bandwagon. One more flop season and he needs to go.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BCHabnut said:

If it flops, his time will have run out and it will be time to fire him before any more damage is done. Right now I am in the fire MB, or don't, or meh... bandwagon. One more flop season and he needs to go.

Do you really see this group getting to the Finals? 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I could see it. Not likely but not quite rebuild material either. As others have said, it's all on Price. Plekanec regression, Byron progression. Gallagher regression, Danault progression. Sort of balanced there, but a good season by a key player, step up by a young gun, A solid signing and strong deadline move could change things dramatically. The core is descent. With the exception of Centre.  A lot of things can happen in a season. My gut says no, they are not good enough to make the final. That is based mostly on health. Last year the team was pretty healthy and they couldn't score. As I said. I am willing to wait one more season. He hasn't blown me away with brilliance, nor has he enraged me with stupidity. I don't like the Subban trade. But I love Weber. I hated letting Rad go, but Drouin is great, and the cost and term for Rad was high. For me its a bit of a rollercoaster. I want him fired. Then I don't. Then I don't care. haha

• Upvote 1

I'm similar in that while I'm not generally critical, I've had my ups and downs with individual moves and I have to agree that Bergevin is clearly in the midst of making defining changes to the team and it pretty much is his final chance unless things go well. As a fan I won't love it but I do think when looked at rationally, making the first or second round of the playoffs will still be enough for him to be safe. But if things go south, all eyes should be on him at this point. I think that's just a fair assessment of where the team stands. 

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I see them getting to the final 16 - which is the only goal that MB has and wouldn't be a bad goal if we were a little team from nowhere playing in the march madness.

11 hours ago, Chris said:

The habs D was very slow and immobile. 

The Replacements are much better skaters, except Streit probably. 

For this reason alone i think they will move the puck out of there zone. Markov's brain and hockey sense is still fantastic, unfortunately he can't skate anymore. 

I think if Jerebek turns out to be decent, i think they will be fine.

This team is all about Price period. Hopefully the offense wakes up

There is nothing to suggest that this blue line will be better offensively than last year.  Your post relies on blind faith.  There is much to suggest they will be worse offensively and that the Habs transition game will suffer. 

There is nothing to suggest it would be worse. 

It's not blind faith, as i said, Price carries this team period. The old crew wasn't doing anything. Time for some changes. 

Would i have liked a top LD to play with Weber, of course but they don't have one.

CJ is making his team, we will see what happens

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chris said:

There is nothing to suggest it would be worse. 

It's not blind faith, as i said, Price carries this team period. The old crew wasn't doing anything. Time for some changes. 

Would i have liked a top LD to play with Weber, of course but they don't have one.

CJ is making his team, we will see what happens

In terms of getting offense from the defenceman, there is a ton to suggest it will be worse. 

None of the LHD has the offensive track record of Andrei Markov. 

Streit only matched the offense Nathan Beaulieu brought last year. 

Alzner is not an offensive Dman.  Schlemko has a little offence, but just a little. Jerabek is an unproven rookie.  Where is the offense. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Commandant said:

In terms of getting offense from the defenceman, there is a ton to suggest it will be worse. 

Alzner is not an offensive Dman.  Schlemko has a little offence, but just a little. Jerabek is an unproven rookie.  Where is the offense. 

Yep. This is the basic head-scratcher. Bergevin seems to be the only GM in the league - probably the only one in living memory - who just doesn't believe in offence from the back end. This, on a club with inadequate offence to begin with. At least, that is a reasonable inference, based on his moves to this point. It's bemusing.

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yep. This is the basic head-scratcher. Bergevin seems to be the only GM in the league - probably the only one in living memory - who just doesn't believe in offence from the back end. This, on a club with inadequate offence to begin with. At least, that is a reasonable inference, based on his moves to this point. It's bemusing.

Funny when you think he started with Subban, Markov, and Diaz with Beaulieu in the system. I was fine with Diaz getting traded because Montreal was in a position of strength to move a PMD like him. Couple years later all of them are gone and in replacement is... Weber and Schlemko.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Funny when you think he started with Subban, Markov, and Diaz with Beaulieu in the system. I was fine with Diaz getting traded because Montreal was in a position of strength to move a PMD like him. Couple years later all of them are gone and in replacement is... Weber and Schlemko.

Brings back memories of having Chelios, Schneider, Desjardins, svoboda, Ludwig, daigneult, dusfrene, lefebve and odelin one year and than 5 years later left with odelin from that group and only decent dmen are odelin, brisbois and  malakhov and his disappearing act 

Oops, you somehow forgot; Juulsen, Jerabek, Strait, Davidson, Morrow, Alzner, Petry

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Oops, you somehow forgot; Juulsen, Jerabek, Strait, Davidson, Morrow, Alzner, Petry

Wow...look out Nashville Predators, there is a new blueline powerhouse in town :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

What I've gathered from Schlemko's stats is that if he plays at least 20 games, he will definitely score 1 goal.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

What I've gathered from Schlemko's stats is that if he plays at least 20 games, he will definitely score 1 goal.

Don't underestimate him, he played some solid hockey in SJ all year including the playoffs, he was also a strong possession driver, his stats last year would suggest he would be a fringe top 4 guy and a very solid 5th for us. He looks like he will be a very cost effective addition to this blue line.

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

Don't underestimate him, he played some solid hockey in SJ all year including the playoffs, he was also a strong possession driver, his stats last year would suggest he would be a fringe top 4 guy and a very solid 5th for us. He looks like he will be a very cost effective addition to this blue line.

I would assume he is destined to be in battle for 3rd pairing spot.

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

I like him as a third pair addition. 

I don't like him as a Markov replacement and top 4 guy. 

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

Schlemko is interesting. Good reputation with Sharks fans but would never got a better opportunity.

Either he's another great find like Byron and Weise and will handle duties with Weber or he's just a third pair defenceman that looked good in San Jose for a couple games and got a contract out of it. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I like him as a third pair addition. 

I don't like him as a Markov replacement and top 4 guy. 

He is without a doubt not a Markov replacement, he is ideally the #5 guy, however if Alzner has to move up to the top pair Schlemko is likely the best suited LHD to play 20 min a night with Petry, and he does seem to have the tools to possibly pull it off. In the current situation I am just glad we went out and got him, and I am glad we got him for cheap, he looks poised to end up being a more important acquisition than originally anticipated, much like Benn was.

Schlemko is interesting. Good reputation with Sharks fans but would never got a better opportunity.

Either he's another great find like Byron and Weise and will handle duties with Weber or he's just a third pair defenceman that looked good in San Jose for a couple games and got a contract out of it. 

He has had a couple of good seasons now (his year in New Jersey is what got him the contract with San Jose) but I don't think he's really more than a 3rd pairing guy.  I suppose they could put him with Weber for a few games here and there (a rotation wouldn't be all that surprising until someone sticks) but I'm not sure he's on the same level as someone like Byron for late breakout potential.

22 minutes ago, Link67 said:

He is without a doubt not a Markov replacement, he is ideally the #5 guy, however if Alzner has to move up to the top pair Schlemko is likely the best suited LHD to play 20 min a night with Petry, and he does seem to have the tools to possibly pull it off. In the current situation I am just glad we went out and got him, and I am glad we got him for cheap, he looks poised to end up being a more important acquisition than originally anticipated, much like Benn was.

Yeh, this is a team that had Emelin on the top pairing with Weber for a good while. Nothing new here.

42 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He has had a couple of good seasons now (his year in New Jersey is what got him the contract with San Jose) but I don't think he's really more than a 3rd pairing guy.  I suppose they could put him with Weber for a few games here and there (a rotation wouldn't be all that surprising until someone sticks) but I'm not sure he's on the same level as someone like Byron for late breakout potential.

I don't either, but that's why I compared him to Weise and Byron. Weise wasn't expected to be more than a fourth line grinder, and Byron just a fourth line PK assist. Schlemko doesn't have any expectation beyond third pair guy, but he's had some good reputation years and there's a burning spot at the top of the roster. I certainly consider him a better option than Alzner, who would just Emelin 2.0 with Weber, or an unproven rookie like Jerabek. Streit would also be very risky. 

43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He is 30, Byron was 26 when Habs got him...likely Schlemko has "peaked" already.