Fire Bergevin

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

uncountable noun

If you say that someone has character, you mean that they have the ability to deal effectively with difficult, unpleasant, or dangerous situations.
[approval]
She showed real character in her attempts to win over the crowd.
I didn't know Ron had that much strength of character.
Synonyms: courage, resolution, determination, guts [informal]

MB presser was again about character so i pulled the definition from Collins dictionary that best suits this context. He also talked about getting younger and faster...Never once did he or has he ever used the word SKILL...

You can have all the character in the world but if you don't have the SKILL then what use is it.

I still want this guy fired ASAP. Not because of the deadline (what do we really have to trade?) but because he still doesn't get it - We need SKILL you asshat.

Fire him now please

Molson says NO.

31 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Anyone else notice that MB looks like he aged about 10 years since last summer?

Yes.

Either that or he was dying his hair. Truthfully, I noticed his gray sideburns more than I did when I last saw him. 

Great post Cuke!

It's as if he went on a vision quest and his spirit guide told him to get young and fast, after 6 years of going the other direction...

If his plan is to go at Tavares with a max deal then maybe we have a chance at him. I fear if we miss out his back up plan is is a big offer to Kovalchuk and I don't want him at all.

I still want him fired but that won't happen :wacko:

57 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The scarier thing is that he still keeps mentioning character over and over.

It's a great word because everyone has a different opinion of what that is, and nobody dares ask what it means to Bergevin.

Also to add to Cuke's post, the three biggest trades by Bergevin in the past three years all made the team older:

Two second round picks for Shaw

Subban for Weber

Sergachev for Drouin

6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

It's a great word because everyone has a different opinion of what that is, and nobody dares ask what it means to Bergevin.

Also to add to Cuke's post, the three biggest trades by Bergevin in the past three years all made the team older:

Subban for Weber

Sergachev for Drouin

Drouin at 22 is older but using a 22 year old as example of team getting older is plain dumb. Shaw is all of 26 and same...

21 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Subban for Weber

Sergachev for Drouin

More troubling is that every one of those trades is questionable at best. None of them improved the team in any clear-cut way.

2 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

What I'm hoping is that Bergevin was given the red light on deadline day. He was allowed to make minors moves, but nothing of significants. 

Come April,  he will be fired. 

I wish I shared your optimism. Like I've said before, I suspect MB sold Molson on the idea that the Habs are the next Tampa Bay, i.e., a team that misses the playoffs in one year and then thunders back the next. If Molson accepted this balderdash, then he is an even bigger idiot than Bergevin.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The scarier thing is that he still keeps mentioning character over and over.

I know. I keep hoping that's just a face-saving device so that he doesn't sound like he is completely contradicting everything he's said for the past three years.

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Why? Is same crap CC has been peddling every day, same ol.

The one who has been peddling "same crap every day" is Marc Bergevin. For six frigging years. And as long as he continues to shovel it at us, I'm gonna keep calling it what it is.

• Upvote 3

Didn't MB say something to the effect he was there through the draft for sure but didn't say much after that? 

I'm wondering if he has a poor draft, not able to get a #1 or #2 centerman if he is toast. 

I highly doubt it....

You either fire him before the draft, or your not firing him. 

The off-season is a huge part of team building, if you let the GM handle the draft, you are also letting him handle July 1st which is approximately a week later.  You aren't firing the guy, doing a GM search, and expecting him to have a free agent plan in place between the draft and free agency. 

Once he's run free agency... you let the results show themselves on the ice. 

Realistically the firing window is now to the end of the season. 

If he isn't fired then, he's in the job til at least mid-season next year. 

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

More troubling is that every one of those trades is questionable at best. None of them improved the team in any clear-cut way.

In the past three years I can only think of two trades that made the team better: the Danault trade, and the Deslauriers trade. I like the Eller trade a lot but it didn't exactly make the team better. It was just a good deal. Only Danault and Deslauriers. Man.

• Upvote 2

I think what Bergevin really means when he says “character” is chemistry. Alas, per Mike Piazza, this is a total waste of time.

“Chemistry is bullshit. I’ll tell you what gives you good chemistry. Winning. Losing gives you bad chemistry.”

• Upvote 3

Off ice... yup... its all bullshit... I agree 100%

On-ice there is something to it.  Pacioretty and Drouin just don't gel together, we've seen this time and time again.

Basically there is two types of chemsitry.... the harmony of a locker room, which is bullshit... the Hawks won their last cup while everyone was fighting in the lockerroom.  And there is two players gelling on the ice together which is different and important. 

• Upvote 2

I always thought that by character he meant:

hardworking, perseverance, does not crumble under pressure, clutch, good morals, kind, golden rule type, non party person, light drinker, locker room leader, shut up and listen type, obey and never question the coach...

This character is more important than anything and skill is nothing in its face.

Subban was considered to have poor character MBs eyes? Cause he sure as hell was full of speed and skill.

• Upvote 1

Everyone thought Brett Hull and Wayne Gretzky would gel immediately and be the greatest 1-2 punch in the history of the league. Didn't happen. Oates was better with Hull than Gretzky.

Similar was when the Sharks brought Heatley in. People thought Joe Thornton tossing him pucks would make him a 70 goal scorer. Again didn't happen. A more recent example is Phil Kessel not really working with Crosby the way they expected.

People thought that just because Drouin was a more skilled player than Desharnais he'd just gel with Pacioretty as his centre. Didn't happen. There's more to hockey than just skill guy + power guy = success.

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I always thought that by character he meant:

hardworking, perseverance, does not crumble under pressure, clutch, good morals, kind, golden rule type, non party person, light drinker, locker room leader, shut up and listen type, obey and never question the coach...

This character is more important than anything and skill is nothing in its face.

Subban was considered to have poor character MBs eyes? Cause he sure as hell was full of speed and skill.

All media narrative bullshit that doesnt actually win games.

Give me Skill over everything

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

"I could have done some things in October or at the trade deadline to buy peace with the fans and media, but what I want is to do the best thing for the organization and it will take the time it takes. "

I think Marc Bergevin finally said something that got me as angry at this organization as I was when Gauthier traded Cammalleri mid game and then refused to give him his game sweater unless he paid for it.

There's just so many layers of wrong. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I think Marc Bergevin finally said something that got me as angry at this organization as I was when Gauthier traded Cammalleri mid game and then refused to give him his game sweater unless he paid for it.

There's just so many layers of wrong. 

He's got a 35-year rebuild plan and he's sticking with it

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

What was wrong about what he said. 

Did you want him buying at the trade deadline?

Which fan wanted him to buy at the deadline? The fans and media wanted him to sell. Reports were that he took Shaw off the market before the deadline, meaning he had offers and decided against it. Same goes for Pacioretty and possibly Byron.

He also admitted he knew things were bad in October and did nothing.  He could have done something but didn't because doing something would be making peace with fans? Trying to win is making peace?

So it gives a few options of what's happening here. 

Either Bergevin knew he built a bad team and didn't care if it crashed and burned because it was his goal for that to happen. That's why he did he's sticking to his plan. 

Or Bergevin thought the team was great and even though he had an offer to turn the team momentum early on, he decided against it. Which is horrible management. 

Or, and this is very possible, he's talking out of his ass and had no offer at all and is just playing his bluff. He's gone from saying you just can't get centres in this league without giving up Price to now he had moves but he didn't want to make them.