Fire Bergevin

3 minutes ago, illWill said:

This is a great argument, we traded a LW for a LW. I had hopes that Galchenyuk could eventually become the center he was drafted to be. I also thought that his value was diminished because of that, so for that reason I wanted to hang onto him. But here we are. 

Its pretty funny actually, we both agreed with the idea of just keeping Chucky long term and wanting to ride it out with him as a Hab in another thread the same day he was traded.

Personally I wasn’t happy with the trade and it didn’t fill the needs we have on the roster but after thinking about it a bit more it’s not as terrible as I once thought it was. Domi is a good player.

3 minutes ago, illWill said:

If you paid attention, I didn't like the trade. But the way people are going on it seems that we gave away Mike Bossy for David Desharnais. The two players are identical in ppg over their careers. If you want to break it down by age, it's 0.4 ppg in difference, WOW. And no, it's not like saying we should give the 3rd pick for the 4th, am I the only one around here that has any logic? Forwards vs defensemen, draft picks vs draft picks....what the hell are we talking about? One is a better play maker with more intangibles and one is a better goal scorer with a higher ceiling. That is what it is. 

I agree with things like intangibles being a kicker when it comes to a player like Weber who is renown for his leadership but when it comes to Max Domi, I’ll wait to see him crack team Canada before I express amazement at his intangibles being a key component in leading a team to success. He’s willing to drop the gloves and has more grit.

It becomes harder and harder to envision that Galchenyuk was also shipped out due to being some sort of cancer and therefore I don’t understand the defense of needing to trade him in the first place, whether or not the other player is of similar value. The only benefit of the doubt I could give is that Galchenyuk would have subtly requested a trade due to not being played at center. In that case, Bergevin did “alright”. 

As for talking about trading the 3rd pick for 4th/5th pick in joking manner it’s simply a representation that Bergevin has traded a player for another player of almost equal but generally viewed as slightly less value. That’s the way I saw it and it would obviously never happen. 

30 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Its pretty funny actually, we both agreed with the idea of just keeping Chucky long term and wanting to ride it out with him as a Hab in another thread the same day he was traded.

Personally I wasn’t happy with the trade and it didn’t fill the needs we have on the roster but after thinking about it a bit more it’s not as terrible as I once thought it was. Domi is a good player.

Yes sir, I found it quite "funny" that I made my first post in a while and it was about wanting to keep him till the end, and then he got traded hours later. We are going to love Domi though

26 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I agree with things like intangibles being a kicker when it comes to a player like Weber who is renown for his leadership but when it comes to Max Domi, I’ll wait to see him crack team Canada before I express amazement at his intangibles being a key component in leading a team to success. He’s willing to drop the gloves and has more grit.

It becomes harder and harder to envision that Galchenyuk was also shipped out due to being some sort of cancer and therefore I don’t understand the defense of needing to trade him in the first place, whether or not the other player is of similar value. The only benefit of the doubt I could give is that Galchenyuk would have subtly requested a trade due to not being played at center. In that case, Bergevin did “alright”. 

As for talking about trading the 3rd pick for 4th/5th pick in joking manner it’s simply a representation that Bergevin has traded a player for another player of almost equal but generally viewed as slightly less value. That’s the way I saw it and it would obviously never happen. 

Remember that Galchenyuk didn't even crack the under 23 North American team at the World Cup despite being one of the most veteran players. 

The guy has had some issues off the ice, we don't know what's true or not though, but there was definitely some things that were apparent. He did want to play center and management basically told him that's not going to happen. I guess we will have to see if he gets the chance in Arizona and how it works out. 

• 3 months later...

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201810/16/01-5200426-la-serie-de-matchs-a-guichets-fermes-du-ch-prend-fin.php

after 582 games of sell outs Habs had a game with still 1000 seats up for grabs. Somewhere Mr. Molson has to see it has to do with the 8th floor, no? Maybe 1 game is not enough?

(edit)

the Team is doing Great and still it seems ppl are not conecting (yet) with this Team. Don't get me wrong I Love seeing the Habs win but something still feels a miss

2 hours ago, ehjay said:

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201810/16/01-5200426-la-serie-de-matchs-a-guichets-fermes-du-ch-prend-fin.php

after 582 games of sell outs Habs had a game with still 1000 seats up for grabs. Somewhere Mr. Molson has to see it has to do with the 8th floor, no? Maybe 1 game is not enough?

(edit)

the Team is doing Great and still it seems ppl are not conecting (yet) with this Team. Don't get me wrong I Love seeing the Habs win but something still feels a miss

A lot of fans are waiting for the other shoe to drop.  After the shit show last season nobody gets free approval.  They have to prove that this team is for real.  I'm not sure what to make of this team myself.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

A lot of fans are waiting for the other shoe to drop.  After the shit show last season nobody gets free approval.  They have to prove that this team is for real.  I'm not sure what to make of this team myself.  

It has been fun watching this team pleasantly surprise, but I'm not going to buy in just yet; we have seen a super-hot 15-20 game start implode into a terrible season before.  I have watched Leafs fans plan the parade route in October enough times to know I don't want to be even a little bit like that.

Despite missing the last couple of games due to my inability to watch the stream, I share in the general enthusiasm for what this group has shown so far. But people reminding us how early it is should certainly be listened to.

My take on it is this. Let's say this team continues to do well, maybe makes the playoffs before bowing out honourably. Let's say the rebuild appears to be on track and we're looking to a bright future. Good! But keep in mind one thing. Begrevin inherited exactly the same situation in 2013. In fact, the core young pieces there (Price, Subban, Patches, Gally, Galy) were considerably more impressive than what we currently have in the system. And how did he manage that situation? Answer: right into the ground, taking a team on the cusp of heavy-duty contention and gutting it, to the point where we've found it necessary to 'rebuild' at exactly the point where that group should have been in its prime contending years.

Any optimism about what MB is doing now should therefore be tempered by an awareness that we've been here before under him, and that he showed himself to be spectacularly, comically, breathtakingly incompetent and translating a good young core into a true, lasting contender. If previous patterns hold true, then, we should expect to see the team get better and better, then have MB overreact to a playoff loss or two, and make a series of idiotic moves that leave us mired in mediocrity again.

Now, perhaps he's learned from his previous folly. Maybe the second time's a charm. But anyone jumping back on board the MB train after what he did to the previous generation of Habs is like a gal who just goes running back to a boyfriend who betrayed her spectacularly. Once burned, twice shy, I say.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Despite missing the last couple of games due to my inability to watch the stream, I share in the general enthusiasm for what this group has shown so far. But people reminding us how early it is should certainly be listened to.

My take on it is this. Let's say this team continues to do well, maybe makes the playoffs before bowing out honourably. Let's say the rebuild appears to be on track and we're looking to a bright future. Good! But keep in mind one thing. Begrevin inherited exactly the same situation in 2013. In fact, the core young pieces there (Price, Subban, Patches, Gally, Galy) were considerably more impressive than what we currently have in the system. And how did he manage that situation? Answer: right into the ground, taking a team on the cusp of heavy-duty contention and gutting it, to the point where we've found it necessary to 'rebuild' at exactly the point where that group should have been in its prime contending years.

Any optimism about what MB is doing now should therefore be tempered by an awareness that we've been here before under him, and that he showed himself to be spectacularly, comically, breathtakingly incompetent and translating a good young core into a true, lasting contender. If previous patterns hold true, then, we should expect to see the team get better and better, then have MB overreact to a playoff loss or two, and make a series of idiotic moves that leave us mired in mediocrity again.

Now, perhaps he's learned from his previous folly. Maybe the second time's a charm. But anyone jumping back on board the MB train after what he did to the previous generation of Habs is like a gal who just goes running back to a boyfriend who betrayed her spectacularly. Once burned, twice shy, I say.

I agree, if you look at it, he has already started, I don't think he should have traded Sergachev. My fear is this team makes the playoffs and he starts to trade assets to get washed up old players with a false hope that they can really compete with some of the stronger teams. We all focus on the trades but there are also the public battles with star players and his drive to make sure anyone how really wants to play in Montreal is traded away.  

The 2013 Habs core was and still is overrated. Gallagher was seen as a 3rd liner, Galchenyuk never became a dominant player. Paccioretty never elevated his game in the playoffs and Price has been hurt often. Subban was the best part of that core, but Therrien shouldn't have been coaching him. 

Markov had come back from injury, but some of the other veterans were starting to decline.

That core was never considered an established cup contender.  It was not "gutted" or "ran into the ground", it just never took off.

The Canadiens are still far from even being a playoff team, but we can recognise that the recent moves are promising:

* Domi > Galchenyuk

* Gallagher = Galagher

* Price = Price

* Suban > Weber iif  hurt*Weber

* Pacioretty 2018 < Tatar 2018

* Danault 2018 = Plekanec 2013

But the biggest different is in the prospect pool:

(Beaulieu, Tinordi, DeLaRose, Scherbak, Fucale) < (Suzuki, Poehling, Lindgren, Brook, Kotkaniemi, Scherbak)

• Upvote 1

That core, which included

Price entering his absolute prime years of superstardom

Markov as a declining but still legit top-pairing two-way defenceman

Subban as an emerging elite #1 defenceman

Plekanec as a seasoned #1A C

Patches entering his prime as an elite NHL goal-scorer

Gallagher and Galy as good young players

was good enough to come within two games of the Finals in 2014, then finish 2nd overall in 2015. The proof is in the pudding.

MB was tasked with taking that team to the next level. He had almost all the pieces.

Instead he blew it up through sheer incompetence. He did not add the big missing piece (a top-6 C) nor did he have a succession plan in place for the predictable declines of Pleks and Markov. (Actually, he did have a replacement for the latter - Sergachev - but chose to trade it away for a W, typical MB, 'solving' non-problems and leaving the real ones to get worse).

• Upvote 3

On 10/16/2018 at 5:40 PM, sbhatt said:

It has been fun watching this team pleasantly surprise, but I'm not going to buy in just yet; we have seen a super-hot 15-20 game start implode into a terrible season before.  I have watched Leafs fans plan the parade route in October enough times to know I don't want to be even a little bit like that.

in MTL tho parade routes have to planed around pot holes (ha! pot holes) October or not ;)

• 2 years later...

Okay so i had high hopes this off season and thought Bergevin had finally done a great job building a team around Price and Weber this  year.  But it's been more of the same old thing with this team.  So it's come to my conclusion that this window to compete with this group of players is closed.

His 4 years too late in  finally building a team around Price and Weber. He has wasted the prime of price and what ever usefulness we could of gotten out of Weber when we made that trade. 

It's time for a new voice and vision out of our gm and it's time to fire🔥 Bergevin. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Okay so i had high hopes this off season and thought Bergevin had finally done a great job building a team around Price and Weber this  year.  But it's been more of the same old thing with this team.  So it's come to my conclusion that this window to compete with this group of players is closed.

His 4 years too late in  finally building a team around Price and Weber. He has wasted the prime of price and what ever usefulness we could of gotten out of Weber when we made that trade. 

It's time for a new voice and vision out of our gm and it's time to fire🔥 Bergevin. 

Sadly, it is very hard to argue on this

I am still curious to see how the rest of the season goes and what the results are in the playoffs ... but it is looking more and more like we will get McGuire and Marc Crawford next season 

better days ahead ?! :pray:

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Did you want to bother with playoffs first? Or simply fire him and go without a GM in the playoffs till the summer? 

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Did you want to bother with playoffs first? Or simply fire him and go without a GM in the playoffs till the summer? 

3 coaching change's, different player trades and UFA signing, and same old team. At this point I don't think the playoffs are a lock for us any more. At the end of the year I would fire him. His just going to use injuries and blame the players for under performing at his year end season news conference once again.  

This core group of players needs to be blown up and Bergevin won't do it because he thinks he can still win with them. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

This core group of players needs to be blown up and Bergevin won't do it because he Geoff Molson thinks he can still win with them. 

Fixed that for you.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Fixed that for you.

Molson thinks Bergevin is doing a good job. Bergevin thinks his core group is good enough to contented. There's a difference, and technically that's the big issue here in Montreal and why Bergevin has been able to keep his job for as long as he has.

Molson/Bergevin have turned into the new version of lee/snow of the NHL.

57 minutes ago, DON said:

Well ... what does a GM do in the playoffs (kidding) ... the playoffs will tell the tale ... the issue will be what Molson and individual fans will deem sufficient to justify Bergevin's firing/return

23 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Well ... what does a GM do in the playoffs (kidding) ... the playoffs will tell the tale ... the issue will be what Molson and individual fans will deem sufficient to justify Bergevin's firing/return

I guess that means for Bergevin blaming injuries and throwing players under the bus that have under preformed to save his job . Cant wait for that season end news conference. 😔

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

3 coaching change's, different player trades and UFA signing, and same old team.

Really? Toffoli-Anderson-Allen all have been solid pick ups, havent they been?

At this point I don't think the playoffs are a lock for us any more.

No, not a lock but just need to out duel Flames and that is it! 

At the end of the year I would fire him.

If suck in playoff or miss playoffs, then i kinda think is a given that he is gone.

His just going to use injuries and blame the players for under performing at his year end season news conference once again.

He has done this before? 

This core group of players needs to be blown up and Bergevin won't do it because he thinks he can still win with them. 

Sounds interesting, but not realistic for any GM, barring what Rangers did in past few years and they are not a whole lot farther ahead, yet.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Yep. As frustrating as this group has been, we won’t know the whole story until the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yep. As frustrating as this group has been, we won’t know the whole story until the playoffs.

True, the playoffs will determine a lot. I think MB has tried to balance winning now with the moves he made in the summer which most were happy with while also realizing that he can't give up the farm (good prospects and picks) to make them a little better which wouldn't be good enough anyway to win the cup. I think by the time they are good enough to be a legitimate cup contender that Weber will not be part of the core anymore so I am in the rebuild camp as I just don't see them being good enough in the next couple years to challenge Toronto, Tampa Pay, Colorado etc.  I would love to see the kids develop quicker and be proven wrong. 

I'll wait till the offseason to make a final judgement, but if we get smoked by the Leafs in the first round then it's probably time to move on.  Our offseason acquisitions have actually performed quite well, but the Staal deal looks like a huge misread of both the player and the team's needs. Weber and Price are not contributing to winning anymore, and Bergy is wedded to them till death do they part. If we do can Bergy, the new guy will have a lot of big money tied up in aging, declining players to deal with.