Fire Bergevin

1 hour ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

He’ll be here next year at minimum…

Lots of injuries, condensed schedule, no fans in the building and the team still got in.. now anything can happen.

Keep Bergevin. It could be worse.

Despite what was an outstanding offseason MB did nothing to improve the team at the deadline ... doubt Staal was playing much better in Buffalo, but MB and his scouts apparently saw something that wasn't there ... they would be a lottery team if Vancouver and Calgary had not regressed from last season FAR more than the Habs improved ... despite that strong offseason.

21 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Despite what was an outstanding offseason MB did nothing to improve the team at the deadline ... doubt Staal was playing much better in Buffalo, but MB and his scouts apparently saw something that wasn't there ... 

Bergevin was banking on Staal rebounding in a winning environment as Buffalo has been where offensive players go to die recently.  Based on last season, it was a reasonable gamble.  Too bad it hasn't panned out just yet (we'll see if he does anything in the playoffs).

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Bergevin was banking on Staal rebounding in a winning environment as Buffalo has been where offensive players go to die recently.  Based on last season, it was a reasonable gamble.  Too bad it hasn't panned out just yet (we'll see if he does anything in the playoffs).

I see it as a typical Bergevin deadline deal ** in which he gives up little, and hopes for a miraculous return disproportionate to what he traded ... unless they happen to "win a lottery" with Staal's performance in the playoffs it was (IMO) another "deck chairs on the Titanic" deal ... doing something but nothing useful.

** - excluding Petry and Vanek

2 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Lots of injuries, condensed schedule, no fans in the building and the team still got in.. now anything can happen.

Yeah, I guess it could be Houle🙄, but that’s hardly and endorserment. That’s like saying Bush wasn’t so bad, compared to Trump.

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I really don’t see this prediction as that being expected. I’d be very shocked if we got swept by the Leafs. Though, admittedly you did at the 5th game as an option.

4...or 5 meh. Shocked at being swept? Have you watched this team play recently, or the last 40gms? Vs a AHL Sens team, they looked horrible and couldnt beat and just lost 2 to Leafs...how could you be shocked that this team, that has looked like a frickin beer league team at times, could get swept by the best team North of the border?

55 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He simply looks in slow motion or exhausted on every shift, he might not even beat ol Crankshaft in an end to end race. But, at least he has scored, whereas Frolik should be simply waived, released or sent on vacation.

8 minutes ago, DON said:

4...or 5 meh. Shocked at being swept? Have you watched this team play recently, or the last 40gms? Vs a AHL Sens team, they looked horrible and couldnt beat and just lost 2 to Leafs...how could you be shocked that this team, that has looked like a frickin beer league team at times, could get swept by the best team North of the border?

I think healthy and IF we get the following we can beat the leafs:

-Price plays close to the Price we loved

- KK and Suziki play like last year’s playin and Danault is healthy and plays shutdown centre

-Gallagher is healthy

-Petry is start and end of the year Petry and Weber is even 30% better than he was this year (doesn’t even have to be the Weber from 3 or 4 years ago)

-the scoring by committee can have at least two lines producing per game

-Oh and again, Price is the good Price we loved

Those are a lot of ifs, but we should be better offensively, it depends as usual on Price, health and the D being adequate.

10 minutes ago, DON said:

He simply looks in slow motion or exhausted on every shift, he might not even beat ol Crankshaft in an end to end race. But, at least he has scored, whereas Frolik should be simply waived, released or sent on vacation.

I would actually sit both in the playoffs and play stall if we lose a game. But I can’t see them sitting the greatest deadline pickup since Butch Goring🙄

46 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think healthy and IF we get the following we can beat the leafs:

-Price plays close to the Price we loved

- KK and Suziki play like last year’s playin and Danault is healthy and plays shutdown centre

-Gallagher is healthy

-Petry is start and end of the year Petry and Weber is even 30% better than he was this year (doesn’t even have to be the Weber from 3 or 4 years ago)

-the scoring by committee can have at least two lines producing per game

-Oh and again, Price is the good Price we loved

Those are a lot of ifs, but we should be better offensively, it depends as usual on Price, health and the D being adequate.

Oh ... so pretty much just that everyone plays their very, very best

3 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I find this post depressing. Keep him, because the team has excuses (most of which apply to every other team)...keep him, because his replacement could be worse...Is this really what it’s come to? Is this the sum total of our aspirations for the once-great Montreal Canadiens, i.e., that we’re happy to “get in” with a team that has looked insipid for 4/5 of the season? That we keep a GM with a track record of failure because his replacement could turn out to be a Houle-like clown?

Why is it so hard for the Habs to build a contender? Many other franchises seem to do it. Some have even done it multiple times since 1993. Meanwhile, here we are, still going, “well, gee, we’re a middle-of-the-pack team, it could be worse.”

Sigh. 

Of 10 games with the Leafs this year, 9 were competitive games... 1 was a blowout win for Toronto (on a night they were rested and we were playing our 3rd game in 4 nights with travel from Edmonton to Montreal). 

And many games without some combo of Gallagher, Price, Weber, Danault, Tatar, etc... 

I think this can be a good series.

We can beat the leafs. Remember the first game of the season where Mathews was beaten and cross checked relentlessly? So much so that Mathews needed time off ?

Do that to Mathews and marner every shift. 

Both those cocky assholes float around the offensive zone with impunity and score on every mistake their opponents make. We don’t let them do that. 

Anderson needs to pound Muzzin and Riley every time he enters their zone 

Price needs to be good obviously 

Lehkonen, Evans, Byron need to be speedy pests and perhaps be tied to Tavares line. 

We need to take advantage of their old guy line and manage our own - Staal is a problem. 

In no way can Romanov, Merrill be a pair

Add in some good play by Suzuki and Kotkaniemi and we got this

My lineup for the playoffs would be. 

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Toffoli - Suzuki - Anderson

Perry - KK - Caufield 

Byron - Evans - Lehkonen

Edmundson - Petry

Kulak - Weber

Chiarot - Romanov 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I think this can be a good series.

Best we can hope for is not to be embarrassed, sounds about right.

With no equal to any of Marner-Matthews-Tavares; will be outskilled and outscored in the playoffs once again is what my crystal ball is telling me. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

My lineup for the playoffs would be. 

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Toffoli - Suzuki - Anderson

Perry - KK - Caufield 

Byron - Evans - Lehkonen

Edmundson - Petry

Kulak - Weber

Chiarot - Romanov 

My only concern is that, while both have played on the right-side, neither Chiarot nor Romanov are natural RDs (by which I mean principally playing that position and therefore comfortable, not RHD)

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

My only concern is that, while both have played on the right-side, neither Chiarot nor Romanov are natural RDs (by which I mean principally playing that position and therefore comfortable, not RHD)

Romanov has spent the majority of this season at RD.

Romanov at RD has been a much better player than Merrill has been since joining the Habs.

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Romanov has spent the majority of this season at RD.

Romanov at RD has been a much better player than Merrill has been since joining the Habs.

Not my recollection ... but I respect you so I'll accept it at face value

His 9-year result is absolute mediocrity: a bubble team with major holes in the lineup, a head-scratcher of a top 3 draft pick looking like a miss, and 3 albatross contract on the books.  How there is even a consideration of extending him boggles my mind...it's proof that our owner knows jack s**t about hockey.

its not a 9 year result. 

His 5 year result made the conference finals and lost to the Rangers.  The team then petered off, and a second rebuild was started.  This is part of the second build, which is likely in year 3 or 4. 

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

its not a 9 year result. 

His 5 year result made the conference finals and lost to the Rangers.  The team then petered off, and a second rebuild was started.  This is part of the second build, which is likely in year 3 or 4. 

Why does he get credit for the conference finals?  The best player he acquired from that team was probably Weise.  He inherited a good team, didn't address the major issues, that team aged out, and he rebuilt a middling roster in his own image.  Drafting and development has been subpar throughout his tenure, even after the protracted Lefebvre debacle was finally over. This doesn't seem to be an organization that understands the modern NHL.

14 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

His 9-year result is absolute mediocrity: a bubble team with major holes in the lineup, a head-scratcher of a top 3 draft pick looking like a miss, and 3 albatross contract on the books.  How there is even a consideration of extending him boggles my mind...it's proof that our owner knows jack s**t about hockey.

I think KK looking like a miss is the nail in the coffin for me.  You need to hit an elite talent there.  

You can debate what he did for that team if you want, but we've done that repeatedly over the last 2-3 years, so I'm not going to get in that discussion. 

i merely said you can't say that this team is the culmination of 9 years of work that started the day he was hire.  It's not.  Its the rebuild of the 2014 team that crumbled by 2017 and then he started to rebuild. 

As for KK.  He's 20 years old.   Why is he being called a miss or a bust?  Way too early for that. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

As for KK.  He's 20 years old.   Why is he being called a miss or a bust?  Way too early for that. 

Because Tkachuk and Hughes are so much better than him.

Maybe KK develops into a top-6 player, I agree that it's too early to tell.  But that's not what we wanted the conversation to be, 3 years out on a 3rd overall pick.

1 minute ago, Neech said:

Because Tkachuk and Hughes are so much better than him.

Maybe KK develops into a top-6 player, I agree that it's too early to tell.  But that's not what we wanted the conversation to be, 3 years out on a 3rd overall pick.

The two guys going for the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year, are older than Alex Galchenyuk. 

They are both playing like allstars. 

They both were not even in the NHL at Galchenyuk's age.

There is time to develop still. 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The two guys going for the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year, are older than Alex Galchenyuk. 

You meant KK

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Do you think this organization will do a good job of development to get the most out of their prospects?  Their track record has not been good, and it appears as if KK has already been mishandled so far.  

I, too, hold out hope that KK could follow a Couturier-like trajectory - break out as a 70-point player at the age of 24.  But if that's the case, it's still 4 years away.  The timeline of this roster is incoherent.