What will it take to make Habs a better club?

DON

I keep hearing many calling for Markov, Emelin, Gilbert, DD, Plekanec, Paranteau all to be traded; resign Petry, fire Therrien- hire Babcock, acquire David Backes, Jordan Eberle, Joe Thorton types.

What "realistically" is most important to get done before next season to help make Habs an elite team?

I think is simply add one all-star top six forward. Backes seems like he would be a great addition, not sure what would cost to pry him from St.Louis?

This is what they need in opinion.

1. fire the assistant coach in charge of P/P. Hire a guy who knows how to make the offence work.

2. Get a top 6 scoring forward, even if he isn't the best back checker in the world.

3. Sign Petry if at all possible.

4. dump Gilbert, Gonchar, Weaver,

5. Keep Pateryn up. Help him develop.

That is a good start, I can probably come up with more if I took more time to think about. Backes looks like a good pick up but I doubt St Louis will let him go. Unless the MB magic is working overtime. :)

• Upvote 1

I think is simply add one all-star top six forward. Backes seems like he would be a great addition, not sure what would cost to pry him from St.Louis?

The "big gritty center" who disappears in the playoffs. No thanks. The three guys who might be available in St. Louis are Oshie, Backes and Steen because all three of them have been complete and utter failures in the playoffs. Nope, nope, nope. People complain about DD's playoff numbers, at least we know he's too small to beat playoff backchecking. Backes is supposed to be a gritty forward and he continues to fall apart when the pressure goes up.

Buy out PAP, call up Hudon, re-sign Petry, see how Galchenyuk, Gallagher, DLR and DSP look after a year of maturing. Find a new assistant coach to replace Lacroix since he needs to be shown the door. Maybe Groulx.

The "big gritty center" who disappears in the playoffs. No thanks. The three guys who might be available in St. Louis are Oshie, Backes and Steen because all three of them have been complete and utter failures in the playoffs. Nope, nope, nope. People complain about DD's playoff numbers, at least we know he's too small to beat playoff backchecking. Backes is supposed to be a gritty forward and he continues to fall apart when the pressure goes up.

Buy out PAP, call up Hudon, re-sign Petry, see how Galchenyuk, Gallagher, DLR and DSP look after a year of maturing. Find a new assistant coach to replace Lacroix since he needs to be shown the door. Maybe Groulx.

yea we have had our fill of cenetrs who disappear in the play offs........with or without excuses

What about Soderberg in Boston? he looks pretty good, was only making 1 mill a year, going to get a raise, but how much? Pretty good 2nd line center?

I would think are several teams not doing well 'cap-wise' and others like San Jose, St Louis, L.A., PItt who may want to shake things up on roster.

Will see within 8 weeks.

Will Habs get a pick to let some team talk to Petry early?

I've been down on Therrien many times but the lightning series has made me give him another chance. I'm no longer calling for him to be fired if the team plays this awesomely good forecheck/ high shooting game. (Notice how many goals were getting from simple shots? Dsp petry Gilbert Pacioretty Gallagher Desharnais all come to mind as simple shot goals)

The one thing we need to be a bonafide powerhouse is a first line Center and/or a right winger. Very hard to come by though and I'm not sure what I'd want to trade in a realistic deal. I've LOVED Eller's playoffs game, Patches is going no where, Gallagher is my hero, Chucky has too much potential, Desharnais is worth more than what his return would get.. I don't want to trade plek either, I think he's been underrated the last while.

The main two I'd like to see gone are Emelin and PAP. Emelin is ok if he's on the bottom pair, but not at 4 mill. If we were paying him 2.5 I'd be happy. PAP I could say the same about. He's worth about 2.5. So if bergevin could clear out 8 mill there, there's an awful lot of room. Sign petry of possible. I'd pay him about 6 max per year, but not for 8 years. 6 for 4 years would reduce risk. A 5x7 could work too. I think were gonna have to pay up.

Last, god love markov, but could trading him now while he still has value be a better move? Markov + a good prospect (ghetto, Carr etc) and minnesota's second for a stud 25 or so. Not sure if that's unrealistic

I think the only reasonable chance we have is to get real development from our youth. We really need Galchenyuk to turn into a 60+ point center. Then if some other prospect can turn into a top6 forward like Filip Forsberg did for Nashville. I dont want more prospects turning into bottomliners. We have enough of those. Gallagher is great but is he really any more than a average 2ndliner at best?

Last, god love markov, but could trading him now while he still has value be a better move? Markov + a good prospect (ghetto, Carr etc) and minnesota's second for a stud 25 or so. Not sure if that's unrealistic

That ship sailed 2 deadlines ago. He should now retire as a Hab.

• Upvote 1

I've been down on Therrien many times but the lightning series has made me give him another chance. I'm no longer calling for him to be fired if the team plays this awesomely good forecheck/ high shooting game. (Notice how many goals were getting from simple shots? Dsp petry Gilbert Pacioretty Gallagher Desharnais all come to mind as simple shot goals)

The one thing we need to be a bonafide powerhouse is a first line Center and/or a right winger. Very hard to come by though and I'm not sure what I'd want to trade in a realistic deal. I've LOVED Eller's playoffs game, Patches is going no where, Gallagher is my hero, Chucky has too much potential, Desharnais is worth more than what his return would get.. I don't want to trade plek either, I think he's been underrated the last while.

The main two I'd like to see gone are Emelin and PAP. Emelin is ok if he's on the bottom pair, but not at 4 mill. If we were paying him 2.5 I'd be happy. PAP I could say the same about. He's worth about 2.5. So if bergevin could clear out 8 mill there, there's an awful lot of room. Sign petry of possible. I'd pay him about 6 max per year, but not for 8 years. 6 for 4 years would reduce risk. A 5x7 could work too. I think were gonna have to pay up.

markovs value has dropped significantly

Stay the course, we are moving in the right direction. Continue to slowly integrated youth as we move UFA players out, next year being Tinordi on D, Maybe Condon as backup, and we have at least 3 if not 5 young guys looking to move up in the front, Thomas, Andigetto, Hudon then Carr and Serbek (not looking up spelling) and I am sure there are others who I am missing who are close.

We have a team that is pretty young but experienced with tons of prospects in the system. We have the best goalie in the world which believe it or not equals having the best goal scorer. We have decent goalie prospects. We are so deep on defence that it is sick. How many teams would a healthy Gonchar have been with this playoff and not seen a game? So deep Nygren sees he has no shot next year already so returns to Sweden. Depth.

How do we improve from holding on to 1st place most of the season and never being more than a couple points out? Hard to say. Maybe get less critical fans?

• Upvote 1

On a post note, they did let me down this year. I had them at over 120 points in my prediction. So how do we improve? We don't drop regular season games to T Bay Ottawa and Calgary. Oh yeah, and we FIND THE BACK OF THE NET!! sorry, stop shooting at the goalie. We have enough scoring chances, just have to bury them more consistently.

has it really? our record in both reg season and playoffs since his 2 season injury hiatus has been unbelievable. he could arguably be the single biggest x factor of this teams turn around from the ECF loss of 2010 (which he missed) to the great depression of 2012 ... there is not a single playoff team in these playoffs as well as non playoff team that wouldn't jump really high at the opportunity to sign the general. he logs 25+ minutes a night against every teams top line. plays the PP plays the PK. has a healthy plus minus and is a top defensive point getter.. i get he's slowed down he's beat up over the season.... but have you seen his beard? other teams players have lost a step just marvelling at that thing. the real question would be where would our habs be today if markov was out of this line up? his value is still very very high! timonin at 40+ yrs got a 2nd and 4th and didn't even play hockey the last 2 seasons!!

give your head a shake... cause it seems out of sorts

In looking at free agent list, isn't overflowing with youngish quality players, so maybe Bergevin will need to pull trigger on 'significant' swap of players rather than signing any UFAs (other than his standard depth vet d-man of course)?

Significant swap when you are at the top of the league? Really? That is PS NHL15 thinking. Not the real world . We are headed in the right direction, why turn around before we reach our goal?

Two Newfies left the rock headed for Toronto, when they were finally on the 401 they realized they could save 2 hours cutting through Maine at St Steven's instead of going through Quebec so they turned around and drove back 12 hours to the boarder.

Best suggestions were Habs Rules. Minor tweaking. Please don't screw this up. We are finally after too many wasted years in a position to contend for at least 5 seasons. No major moves. We are almost there.

Bottom of league in offense past 2 years needs addressing. And to do that need to pay a price because that type player isn't available on open market this summer.

Cant rely on Pacioretty to be the only firepower up front.

I know many want to resign Petry, but without Petry the defense is fine. Same cant likely be said for top six scoring without adding a top quality forward.

Bottom of league in offense past 2 years needs addressing. And to do that need to pay a price because that type player isn't available on open market this summer.

Cant rely on Pacioretty to be the only firepower up front.

I know many want to resign Petry, but without Petry the defense is fine. Same cant likely be said for top six scoring without adding a top quality forward.

But we need to replace Petry if we let him go. So would it not make more sense to just keep him, if possible, rather than go looking for another guy?

Markov is slowing down, I know Le Genius loves Gilbert but I don't think he is the answer. Pateryn can replace him. We have some kids on the farm we hope are going to be ready, or we have Petry. The thing is , if we keep Petry and say Tinordi suddenly becomes the monster we all want him to be, there is nothing says we can't trade Petry. He does add offense.

Guest Stogey24

But we need to replace Petry if we let him go. So would it not make more sense to just keep him, if possible, rather than go looking for another guy?

Markov is slowing down, I know Le Genius loves Gilbert but I don't think he is the answer. Pateryn can replace him. We have some kids on the farm we hope are going to be ready, or we have Petry. The thing is , if we keep Petry and say Tinordi suddenly becomes the monster we all want him to be, there is nothing says we can't trade Petry. He does add offense.

This team would have been in serious trouble without Petry this post season. He's been a huge part of why the boys are winning

- I would say that the first thing we need is a top six scorer. One who has grit and measures more than 6'1".

- Get Galchenyuk at Center, and leave him there!

- Resign Petry...5-6 years at 5 million per year.

- trade Emelin and or Desharnais

- Get Pateryn and Tinordi up...if One of the two can make it with the Habs full time, then that's a good thing.

- Get rid of Gilbert, Gonchar and Weaver.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

- I would say that the first thing we need is a top sixiscorer. One who has grit and measures more than 6'1".

- Get Galchenyuk at Center, and leave him there!

- Resign Petry...5-6 years at 5 million per year.

- trade Emelin and or Desharnais

- Get Pateryn and Tinordi up...if One of the two can make it with the Habs full time, then that's a good thing.

- Get rid of Gilbert, Gonchar and Weaver.

I like how you think.

A big centre like Shawn Mathias and a legit top 6 winger who can bury consistenly would be nice.