What will it take to make Habs a better club?

DON

Guest Stogey24

Mattias? Gross. We already have Eller.

I'm fine with trying Hudon next year.

lol, Mathias put up 17 goals this year, all 5 on 5. He's not that bad.

I personally don't think Hudon is the guy who's going to be called up and make a difference on this team.

I don't understand wanting to get rid of DD.

There are 30 teams in the league.

Plekanec had the 25th highest point totals among centers in the league in 2015. Offensively, this makes him either an absolutely spectacular second line centre, or a legitimate, if low-ranked first line center.

Desharnais had an off year, and slipped down 40th among centers. Offensively, this makes him a better than average second line centre, but a very weak first line centre.

Defensively, both guys play very well, neither are "floaters" that do not contribute in their own end.

We need offense, and DD's not a good first line player. He IS a good second line player, and he's cheaper than most second line players.

This team does need more offense, obviously. We'd do better keeping both DD and Pleks and adding more offense at forward - one of the top ten centers would be nice, but realisticly, it's not happening. None of the centers who broke 70 points this year are going to be available. Instead, how about a big player with soft hands who likes to go to the net? (No offense to Gallagher, I love the guy, but I want a second one of him, only 6 inches taller.)

Habs in season

1st: 44 goals (29th)

2nd: 77 goals (11th)

3rd: 87 goals (5th)

Habs in playoffs

1st: 5 goals (tied for 9th)

2nd: 9 goals (3rd)

3rd: 8 goals (6th)

I actually looked through forward free agents and nobody did better than seven first period goals (Frolik, Soderberg, Beleskey). But hey, Ryan White had three 1st period goals in like 30 games. We should just bring Ryan back.

Significant swap when you are at the top of the league? Really? That is PS NHL15 thinking. Not the real world . We are headed in the right direction, why turn around before we reach our goal?

Two Newfies left the rock headed for Toronto, when they were finally on the 401 they realized they could save 2 hours cutting through Maine at St Steven's instead of going through Quebec so they turned around and drove back 12 hours to the boarder.

Best suggestions were Habs Rules. Minor tweaking. Please don't screw this up. We are finally after too many wasted years in a position to contend for at least 5 seasons. No major moves. We are almost there.

Shh. I'm a Newfie.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand wanting to get rid of DD.

There are 30 teams in the league.

Plekanec had the 25th highest point totals among centers in the league in 2015. Offensively, this makes him either an absolutely spectacular second line centre, or a legitimate, if low-ranked first line center.

Desharnais had an off year, and slipped down 40th among centers. Offensively, this makes him a better than average second line centre, but a very weak first line centre.

Defensively, both guys play very well, neither are "floaters" that do not contribute in their own end.

We need offense, and DD's not a good first line player. He IS a good second line player, and he's cheaper than most second line players.

This team does need more offense, obviously. We'd do better keeping both DD and Pleks and adding more offense at forward - one of the top ten centers would be nice, but realisticly, it's not happening. None of the centers who broke 70 points this year are going to be available. Instead, how about a big player with soft hands who likes to go to the net? (No offense to Gallagher, I love the guy, but I want a second one of him, only 6 inches taller.)

DD is NOT a first line player.

A first line player doesn't just play on the best line in 2015.

A first line forward averages 18-22 minutes. DD averages 17:15 this year, and Plekanec averaged 19:09.

On the Blackhawks, Kane, Toews and Hossa all played above 18 minutes, then the second liners like Saad and Sharp came in around 16-17.

A first line forward plays in more situations than DD.

lol, Mathias put up 17 goals this year, all 5 on 5. He's not that bad.

I personally don't think Hudon is the guy who's going to be called up and make a difference on this team.

Matthias is a good player, I watched him down here for 2 years, he would be an upgrade on Eller if they needed one. I don't know if he can handle big minutes or can play on the PP.

We're in 2015 and people still can't figure out something as simple as, "Our best forward does not play with our best center"

The same team that split up Saku Koivu and Alex Kovalev and they still can't process it.

Even worse, this year had Tomas Plekanec with Max Pacioretty for quite a few games, including right now. Right now, our best forward does play with our best center. When DD played with Patches, he did not.

When you view everything like an EA Sports game, of course it makes no sense because you have line one, line two, line three and you always put the best players on line one. When you view it like an NHL hockey game, it's not a tough concept to grasp.

• Upvote 1

We're in 2015 and people still can't figure out something as simple as, "Our best forward does not play with our best center"

The same team that split up Saku Koivu and Alex Kovalev and they still can't process it.

Even worse, this year had Tomas Plekanec with Max Pacioretty for quite a few games, including right now. Right now, our best forward does play with our best center. When DD played with Patches, he did not.

When you view everything like an EA Sports game, of course it makes no sense because you have line one, line two, line three and you always put the best players on line one. When you view it like an NHL hockey game, it's not a tough concept to grasp.

Agreed. However, with that said - I want a stronger offensive center for our first line. Plekanec is great, but I'd prefer him on the second, with DD on the third. (We're rolling 3 lines, right?) But as I said earlier, centers with significantly more offense than Plekanec are at a premium these days. It's easy to say you need one, but very hard to get one.

I think that we will have to trade either DD or Plekanec. It might be the time to move Markov too. He is getting slow.

Like many others I think that it would be nice to sign Petry. Pateryn, Beaulieu and Tinordi should get better icetime next year.

Trading DD or Plekanec would make sense if we got a bonafide 1st line center to fill the gap. I am thinking of Eric Staal, but I doubt that such a deal is feasible..

All in all, I am satisfied by the work MB has done so far. I suppose that our lack of offense is a weakness he is well aware of. Let's hope we will improve next season.

I think that we will have to trade either DD or Plekanec. It might be the time to move Markov too. He is getting slow.

Like many others I think that it would be nice to sign Petry. Pateryn, Beaulieu and Tinordi should get better icetime next year.

Trading DD or Plekanec would make sense if we got a bonafide 1st line center to fill the gap. I am thinking of Eric Staal, but I doubt that such a deal is feasible..

All in all, I am satisfied by the work MB has done so far. I suppose that our lack of offense is a weakness he is well aware of. Let's hope we will improve next season.

I like MB. But our best players were all hear before him. He needs to add player(s) that have an impact.......until then this is still a team whos core was built for him....not by him.

Agreed. However, with that said - I want a stronger offensive center for our first line. Plekanec is great, but I'd prefer him on the second, with DD on the third. (We're rolling 3 lines, right?) But as I said earlier, centers with significantly more offense than Plekanec are at a premium these days. It's easy to say you need one, but very hard to get one.

yzerman has done pretty good adding players over the last three seasons.

More Size

More toughness

More Talent

2 new centers, DD and Pleks are so ineffective when the going gets tough.

and we knew they would be, said they would be useless , invisible, soft...... and they were exactly that.

i expected nothing from them.....and nothing is what they delivered

they will be and should be this summers ginota and gorges.......and the house cleaning will be closer to complete

If you guys think that MB is gonna blow up one of the most competitive teams in the league, your crazy. Emelin, Gilbert, DD, Pap, Plekanec. Get rid of them all and play Hudon andreghetto Thomas Sherbak and tinordi. Because we haven't seen them play much therefore they will he better. Fire therein put galchenyuk as number on Centre. Obviously he earned it. Some of the statements on this forum lately are prey silly. Holy shit. Need a few more goats? Weiss Prust DSP ... etc... this cast allow me to watch an exciting playoff and with the exception of today, a competitive one. They are.the fifth best playoff team this year and the fourth best last year. Next year if they exit first round, I will be upset, but this year if they sign Petry and a scoring Ufa, I will be happy

• Upvote 1

You know, apart from the obvious - hiring a new PP coach and, ideally, signing Petry - the thread title asks a surprisingly tough question.

A lot hinges on Galchenyuk. If you still think he is potentially an impact top-6 FW, then you look at him and say, 'a good chunk of our offensive trouble will dissipate once he hits his stride.' If you think he is, right now, pretty much what he's going to become, why then you have to conclude that the core is not good enough and you have to pull off a MAJOR move to add at least one substantial scorer to your lineup. That means trading high-value assets: 1st round picks, Beaulieu, something that will hurt in a big way. The other option is the UFA route, getting a second-tier scorer at inflated cost.

Relatedly, it is also quite clear that DD/ Pleks are not going to cut it in terms of generating offence in playoff hockey. Pleks had two disastrous fumbles this round, but his shift-by-shift game was strong - just not in terms of scoring. I liked DD's games after he came back from the flu, but the sad fact is that he is ineffective against the level of obstruction and interference that define playoff hockey. He's a good regular season asset, not a playoff one.

Now, IF Lars Eller had become more than a 30-point C, this wouldn't be a big problem. We could rely on depth at C to compensate for the weakness at the 'top' of the positional depth chart (which is what I'd hoped would happen, more or less, all year). But since Lars is Lars, a competent checking C and nothing more, this is another aspect of the rebuild that has turned out to be structurally defective.

Three years ago, we'd have assumed that our top-2 C by 2015-16 would be Galy and Eller, with Pleks a declining veteran serving as third-line checking C. The reality is so far from this as to be almost laughable. The plateauing of these two young pieces is something Bergy is going to have to figure out how to work around. I see it as THE fundamental question that will determine the eventual fate of the rebuild.

The answer at C is probably a 'stopgap' solution - a Joe Thornton, short-term type who can elevate the team for a couple of years while we cross our fingers on Galchenyuk.

But don't forget, improvement will also come from within as Beaulieu continues to evolve. I just wish we had one more high-ceiling young FW.

I'm expecting an interesting offseason:

- Parenteau is in the same boat as Briere last year.

- Eller and Emelin were rumored to be shopped for most of the year.

- 5 players are in the last year of their contracts.

- A decision needs to be made on the young D. Beaulieu and Tinordi need new contracts and Pateryn is now on a 1 way deal.

- The same guys had yet another bad playoffs will they be replaced since they are constantly "mentally and physically drained" when you still need 6-10 more wins to get a cup.

- Everyone could see the power play is a major issue.

- Where do the young players fit into the plan Thomas, Andrighetto, Hudon, and the ones that should be making their debut in AHL like McCarron and Scherbak.

- Free agency isn't that great especially in the top 6 category so to improve there would require a trade.

There are many other question marks and no clear answers to them so I find it's going to be very interesting since it can go in multiple ways.