What will it take to make Habs a better club?

DON

Let's take trading Plekanec as an example. I'm going to use the most favorable possible scenario.

Let's say Steve Yzerman was afflicted by a sudden, tragic case of rejeanhoulio, and traded us Tyler Johnson for Tomas Plekanec, straight up. Tyler Johnson's 29 goals and 72 points makes him a top 15 offensive star in the NHL this year. This is what sucks, however:

That's only a 3 goal, 9 assist boost for the team. (Actually, it's probably less of a difference than that. 60 points in Montreal might be harder to get than 72 in Tampa). We were the team with the least offense going into the playoffs this year? We'd still be that team if you make this trade. (I'm not saying we shouldn't make it, but that's not the point.) We can't improve what's wrong with this team by replacing our good players with better ones. We have to get better players in place of a few of the 3rd and 4th line grinders we currently have cluttering our roster. Yes, they are good for 3rd or 4th line grinders, but we have about a dozen of them!

The hard part improving this team is we need to add a Tyler Johnson caliber of player without giving up any of our top 6 forwards.

and maybe cam neely goes rejeanhoulio and we can get bergeron for dd

Hamilton for Emelin

Eberle for Parenteau when their new gm goes gord stellico

*- in fact, if such players do exist, I have issues with them. If you're playing a sport at this level, there's no reason you shouldn't be giving your all every night. This isn't to be confused with streaky play. But if you've got a "higher gear" -- use it all year.

All players have games where they coast, and it's usually because of a nagging injury they are playing through you don't know about. All players will also take a shift off, with smart players being able to hide it really well. The smarter the player, the less hard they work because they read the game better. It's the blue collar muckers who try to give it 100% every game, and it's usually the blue collar muckers that break down and have shorter careers.

In the end, hockey is a job. Everyone has their off days. To expect "every night" from them just because they are multi-million dollar athletes is ignorant to the fact they are human before it all.

All players have games where they coast, and it's usually because of a nagging injury they are playing through you don't know about. All players will also take a shift off, with smart players being able to hide it really well. The smarter the player, the less hard they work because they read the game better. It's the blue collar muckers who try to give it 100% every game, and it's usually the blue collar muckers that break down and have shorter careers.

In the end, hockey is a job. Everyone has their off days. To expect "every night" from them just because they are multi-million dollar athletes is ignorant to the fact they are human before it all.

and that is true across the board for all teams..............and we still determine winners and losers without excuses.

hockey is a job, and stampkos was darn good at his job last night when it mattered most....... plekanic stunk when it mattered most. Just two examples

PLEKANIC FOR JOHNSON HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!

See, I thought calling that trade proposal "Rejeanhoulio" was the funny part.

Personally, I thought Pleks looked through the playoffs much like he did in the regular season: a defensive talent who generated chances in the other team's end, too. He was not the reason nobody was scoring.

The fact is, NONE of these guys were scoring. That's not because they suck in the playoffs. That's because they need one or two more big offensive threats to help capitalize on the chances they generate.

Personally, I thought Pleks looked through the playoffs much like he did in the regular season: a defensive talent who generated chances in the other team's end, too. He was not the reason nobody was scoring.

The fact is, NONE of these guys were scoring. That's not because they suck in the playoffs. That's because they need one or two more big offensive threats to help capitalize on the chances they generate.

That is definitely correct.

Personally, I thought Pleks looked through the playoffs much like he did in the regular season. He was not the reason nobody was scoring.

Nobody said he was. He scored one goal in 12 games playing in the middle of our two best players and powerplay. HE is the reason HE WAS NOT SCORING.

Giving the puck away for huge lightning goal in game 3. Giving the puck away for huge lightning goal last night when it was 0-0.

Pleks was his usual self in the play offs. Lousy.

But he is slippery..........dont think i seen him take one hit in two rounds.

pleks : "i played like a little ----"

they will be and should be this summers ginota and gorges.......and the house cleaning will be closer to complete

I agree that Desharnais has got to go...but not sure Pleky MUST be traded! If we have to trade him to get something good, then by all means, do so. But I think Desharnais has to go first. I'm tired of these smurfs. The only smurf I want to keep is Gally!

I agree that Desharnais has got to go...but not sure Pleky MUST be traded! If we have to trade him to get something good, then by all means, do so. But I think Desharnais has to go first. I'm tired of these smurfs. The only smurf I want to keep is Gally!

True. Pleks can even stay. Third line center and pk. that's all he can handle well....and all he should be given to do on a true contender. He is not a top center, not a play maker, not a scorer, and not a hitter. His game takes a big drop when play ff style hockey kicks in.

DD , gone. Give him away. No one will pay much....if anyone wants him

Not even Smurfette?

"I'm tired of these smurfs", dosent sound like a smart reason to cut them adrift, but size is important, if you are a goalie or d-man.

Might be more than a few smurf forwards in Hall of Fame.

Not even Smurfette?

"I'm tired of these smurfs", dosent sound like a smart reason to cut them adrift, but size is important, if you are a goalie or d-man.

DD aint gonna join them. So whats the hall got to do with it

I also agree with you. We're good in nets and on defence. What we need is some scoring up front!

True. Pleks can even stay. Third line center and pk. that's all he can handle well....and all he should be given to do on a true contender.

Agreed! Pleky is not a bad player...he's just not a top 2 line center. He'd be best served as a third line center!

Not even Smurfette?

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against small forwards....as long as they are playing with two BIG guys on their line. I also don't think you should have more than one...maybe two smaller forwards on your top two lines. Think about it...if two players keep running into each other over an 82 game season (one guy is 6'3" and 225pds and the other is 5'7" and 180 pds) who do you think will be more tired come playoff time? I don'T think DD is worthless. The kid has heart and does has some offensive skill, but he gets pushed off the puck way too easily.

Any chance the Habs could get Yakupov out of Edmonton for Habs 1st round pick, Fucale and lets say one of Beaulieu or Tinordi?

Yakupov reunited with Galchenyuk(playing at center)!!! :halm: just like their good old days! ;) Reuniting them might get them both going!?!?

I also agree with you. We're good in nets and on defence. What we need is some scoring up front!

Agreed! Pleky is not a bad player...he's just not a top 2 line center. He'd be best served as a third line center!

60 points, 26 goals and a strong defensive game would make him the best third line center in the NHL. Heck, if not for Malkin being on a team with Crosby, he'd be the best second line center in the NHL.

I'm good with that, though. THAT would give us scoring...now...find that available 1st line center.

60 points, 26 goals and a strong defensive game would make him the best third line center in the NHL. Heck, if not for Malkin being on a team with Crosby, he'd be the best second line center in the NHL.

I'm good with that, though. THAT would give us scoring...now...find that available 1st line center.

Noticed no mention of play offs?

First line minutes, powerplay, penalty kill and centering Pacs and Gallagher........much better results are expected in the play offs.

I no longer care what Pleks does in the reg season.

Same here..it's time to shake up this roster. Pleks, Markov, DD, Emelin, Fucale, Tinordi, and Alex had better find his fn game or he's on the list too.

Yup. This is the perfect time to throw a 21 year old under the bus after a 46 point season because he underperformed in the playoffs.

Guest Stogey24

Tinordi isn't going anywhere. They're not going to trade a kid who fills a role this organization truly needs on the backend. Nothing went right for the kid this year, I bet he signs something like a two year deal here and gets some real time up with club next year to actually prove himself.

I no longer care what Pleks does in the reg season.

So when we replace him Eller and DLR is our third line center, you're ok with missing the playoffs?

Plekanec laid an egg, but to pretend he isn't a good or useful player is ridiculous. His lack of point production has a lot to do with the lack of weapons the Habs had.

The top line of Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher was by far our best line. Gallagher was effective every time he was on the ice, Plekanec played great both ways and Pacioretty eventually brought the scoring. They were not the problem. Saying they are the problem is just axe grinding.

Guest Stogey24

So when we replace him Eller and DLR is our third line center, you're ok with missing the playoffs?

Plekanec laid an egg, but to pretend he isn't a good or useful player is ridiculous. His lack of point production has a lot to do with the lack of weapons the Habs had.

Plekanec actually cost this team a couple goals though. One was a back breaker with 1 second left in the game. It wasn't a good post season for him

Yup. This is the perfect time to throw a 21 year old under the bus after a 46 point season because he underperformed in the playoffs.

I don't think Chucky is going anywhere. The Habs will be patient with him...just like they must be patient with Tinordi!