What will it take to make Habs a better club?

DON

Now I didn't say we would be keeping these guys, because if they can't do the job go get people who can. Some we keep some we trade. Most of the people on your list are considered snipers and that didn't work so spread it around. Trade 10 goal scorer for 16 goal scorer etc. We have to remember that Le Genius system of defence and defence only does tend to squelch the scoring. Nobody wants to take a risk and be out of position, cause their ass will be on the pine.

And the only rumour is that Habs are gonna trade a 26 goal scorer. Seems a bit odd move, but what do I know.

And the only rumour is that Habs are gonna trade a 26 goal scorer. Seems a bit odd move, but what do I know.

Well if we get a 35 goal scorer in return that would be ok.

Maybe they see little Tyler Johnson with 12 play off goals................and see that Pleks and DD dont have that combined in years of play off hockey.................so they are thinking lets trade Pleks and his 26 regular season goals and 1 play off goaL while we can still get a return.

We don't even need to go up to Tampa levels (257) but at least in the 230 range (so 16 more goals total). We scored more goals than 2013-14, even if it doesn't feel that way with the weak PP.

Comparing 2013-14 to 2014-15, we got some increased scoring counts from Plekanec (20 to 26), Gallagher (19 to 24), Galchenyuk (13 to 20) and Weise (3 to 10). We however dealt with a Pacioretty drop (39 goals in 73 games to 37 goals in 80 games), Parenteau scored less than Briere (7 to 13), De La Rose scored less Bournival (7 to 4) and while you could call replacing Bourque with Sekac a wash (two goal difference), we didn't really get those extra Vanek goals this time for Smith-Pelly, Mitchell or Flynn. As Cucumber pointed out, we really didn't replace Gionta. Technically you could say Galchenyuk/Weise (30) replaced Gionta/Galchenyuk (31) from the year before but that still says we had a hole in the RW we temporarily filled with Vanek that was never filled again.

We're currently going into next season looking at:

Reliable goal scorers: Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gallagher, Galchenyuk (35-39/20-25/20-25/20)

Reliable secondary scoring: Eller, Desharnais, Weise (15/15/10)

Unreliable goal scorers: P.A. Parenteau, DSP (needs to be > 10)

Unreliable secondary scorers: Prust, DLR, Flynn (needs to be > 5)

We need the two in the third category to jump to at least the second while someone in the fourth category bumps up to the third category (DLR). Our D scored 37 goals in 2014-15, way better than 2013-14. Petry would give us an opportunity to have 40 goals on the blueline every season, which is excellent. That opens up the forwards to only need to score 190 goals.

The top line alone would add 75 goals on the low end (35/20/20), leaving the remaining three lines to score 120 goals. Add Galchenyuk or Gallagher you got 20 goals. That leaves eight players to score 100 goals. This is where DSP scoring 15 or PAP adding 15 becomes so important. They do that and it's a very hittable number. And that's not considering a guy like Gallagher breaking out and potting 30 goals or Plekanec having another 25 goal season.

230 goals puts us just on the edge of the Top 10 in scoring in 2014-15. We do that next year, we're fine. Problem is, we're relying on unreliable players.

and if Prices game even slips a bit? That was a hell of a season he had. Difficult to repeat.

- I would say that the first thing we need is a top six scorer. One who has grit and measures more than 6'1".

- Get Galchenyuk at Center, and leave him there!

- Resign Petry...5-6 years at 5 million per year.

- trade Emelin and or Desharnais

- Get Pateryn and Tinordi up...if One of the two can make it with the Habs full time, then that's a good thing.

- Get rid of Gilbert, Gonchar and Weaver.

I second all of the above.

well I "third" it as i see HR is already on board .

They obviously need a more consistent scorer than PAP on the second line, but good luck finding that in free agency. The only wingers I see in free agency that have scored 20 goals in the past three years are Martin St. Louis and Erik Cole. St. Louis is already 40 and the age is showing, while we've already ditched Cole once before. And in terms of trades to even make space for free agents, who is going to want to take on a contract like Eller or PAP?

I had a ton of confidence about this team heading into the playoffs, but the way a medicore team like Ottawa and an offensive team like Tampa largely shut them down, I am much less positive about this team. Their only real hope of improving offensively is for Galchenyuk to take a big step in his development and become a 30-35 goal guy. I'm done waiting for Eller to progress into a top 6 guy - it's just not going to happen. He isn't even using his size to make a difference any more.

Defensively, I do not support giving a second pairing guy like Petry the type of money he is going to command. Not when we're already spending 21 million on four D-men. We're already severely overpaying Emelin, who will quickly be surpassed by Beaulieu on the second pairing. The only way I see them keeping Petry is if they move Emelin and let Tinordi have the left side on the third pairing. And only if they keep Petry would I support moving Gilbert, as I would rather see Pateryn come into his own.

and if Prices game even slips a bit? That was a hell of a season he had. Difficult to repeat.

We made the playoffs handily in the previous two seasons too. This idea that Price has to be superhuman in order for us to compete is belied by the facts.

• Upvote 1

Galchenyuk has improved slowly every year. Probably good for 5 to ten more points next year. You have to think that Beaulieu will figure out how to create in the NHL. I would pen him in for 5 to 10 more. PAP had a career low. His numbers did not match his play for much of the year and he had a concussion that killed his confidence. Next year is a contract year for him. I would think he will put up 10 to 15 more points next year as well. Sign Petry. That and a strong PP should be enough to stay strong for years to come.

Galchenyuk has improved slowly every year. Probably good for 5 to ten more points next year. You have to think that Beaulieu will figure out how to create in the NHL. I would pen him in for 5 to 10 more. PAP had a career low. His numbers did not match his play for much of the year and he had a concussion that killed his confidence. Next year is a contract year for him. I would think he will put up 10 to 15 more points next year as well. Sign Petry. That and a strong PP should be enough to stay strong for years to come.

Now there is an optimistic post.

Now there is an optimistic post.

The down side is that I don't expect career years from 67, 76, and 31 again. Nor do I expect the luck we've had with health to key players again.

Guest Stogey24

Pacioretty can easily surpass his point totals this year with a consistent winger on the right side

The down side is that I don't expect career years from 67, 76, and 31 again. Nor do I expect the luck we've had with health to key players again.

Health is always a valid concern; one never knows when injuries will strike, or who they will strike. But as for Price, PK, and Patches, they are all legitimate stars. Price had an extraordinary year, but there's not reason not to expect continued excellence from him. As for the latter two, they did nothing out of the ordinary for players of their calibre. We should be no more worried about them 'not playing at this high a level' than Blackhawks fans would be about Kane or Toews Keith somehow regressing.

And - again - we had excellent regular seasons the previous two years as well. There is absolutely ZERO reason for tremulousness about this team, as though this year was some unrepeatable freak event. It's as though some Habs fans just can't accept that we now have elite core players; every good year is 2002 or 2008 all over again.

Damn there is that pessimism again. Patches hasn't had a career year yet in my opinion, he will break 40 and probably get to 45 once he gets his head cleared up. Pk is going to be a consistent scorer. I do not see a drop off there. Price is going to Price. He will continue to win games, and if we could score a few he may not have the GAA he had this year, but he will have the WINS.

Pacioretty can easily surpass his point totals this year with a consistent winger on the right side

how about a centerman?

watching hawks ducks will show anybody how much the habs lack to play this type of hockey in late may.

they are not even close

how about a centerman?

watching hawks ducks will show anybody how much the habs lack to play this type of hockey in late may.

they are not even close.

Not sure which hawks center man you are referring to. Towes has been invisible for the whole series. Kessler isn't scoring and is playing the perimeter. He sucks. Or maybe his lack of scoring and Towes lack of scoring are linked because kessler is shutting him down. Kinda like public enemy number one in Montreal does. Shuts down the other teams best.

Not sure which hawks center man you are referring to. Towes has been invisible for the whole series. Kessler isn't scoring and is playing the perimeter. He sucks. Or maybe his lack of scoring and Towes lack of scoring are linked because kessler is shutting him down. Kinda like public enemy number one in Montreal does. Shuts down the other teams best.

lol.... Cutting up Johnathon Toews and praising Tomas Plekanic in the same post.

Easy on the sauce. :bonk:

Not cutting up Towes. He is being stymied for the most part this whole series. And it's because kessler is playing against him. This is the assignment that plek gets every playoff yet you squawk endlessly that he isn't Getzlaf or Crosby.The Habs are a worse team without plekanec. Unless you can go get Towes Bergeron or kessler to play against the other teams big gun. Stamkos was invisible through most of the series because plekanec was playing against him. Plekanec isn't a high end first line Centre but he IS a high end second line Centre. One of the best in the league.

Not cutting up Towes. He is being stymied for the most part this whole series. And it's because kessler is playing against him. This is the assignment that plek gets every playoff yet you squawk endlessly that he isn't Getzlaf or Crosby.The Habs are a worse team without plekanec. Unless you can go get Towes Bergeron or kessler to play against the other teams big gun. Stamkos was invisible through most of the series because plekanec was playing against him. Plekanec isn't a high end first line Centre but he IS a high end second line Centre. One of the best in the league.

i guess this is a weak attempt to suggest our center position lines up well with the top guns of the league?

Yup. Plek is suffering from a case of the Koivu's. Excellent 2nd line center criticized for not producing like a 1st line center.

Pleks deserves criticism for two catastrophic giveaways that cost us big in the Tampa series.

By and large, however, he has indeed done yeoman's work as a shutdown C with decent offence in the playoffs. In the regular season, meanwhile, he adds strong offence.

People who correctly argue that we need to be better at centre all too often slip into the error of crapping all over the C we do have. Plekanec is a fine player that any team would give lots of ice-time to. Desharnais is a solid regular-season centreman who is too small/too slow to be able to overcome the hyper-obstruction in the playoffs. Both have been valuable contributors. We don't need to act like they're pieces of crap in order to express the concern that we lack the elite talent at C that every surviving team except the Rangers has.

Toews was awesome last night. His line was putting pressure on the ducks d and goaltender from the get go. nobody puts up offense every game for four rounds. Not Perry, not Crosby, not Subban, not Toews, and most definitely not Plekanic.

"Stampkos was invisible most of the series because Plekanic was playing against him" LMAO !!! :rofl:

Plekanic fan club starts talking loud again. Mandatory waiting period must be over.

Pleks deserves criticism for two catastrophic giveaways that cost us big in the Tampa series.

By and large, however, he has indeed done yeoman's work as a shutdown C with decent offence in the playoffs. In the regular season, meanwhile, he adds strong offence.

People who correctly argue that we need to be better at centre all too often slip into the error of crapping all over the C we do have. Plekanec is a fine player that any team would give lots of ice-time to. Desharnais is a solid regular-season centreman who is too small/too slow to be able to overcome the hyper-obstruction in the playoffs. Both have been valuable contributors. We don't need to act like they're pieces of crap in order to express the concern that we lack the elite talent at C that every surviving team except the Rangers has.

What you say is true to a point. What gets lost by the over sensitive Plekanic lovers is that what I and many others have voiced ...... time and time again......IS THE HABS WILL NEVER WIN A STANLEY CUP IF PLEKANIC IS YOUR TOP CENTER. THAT IS NOT A KNOCK ON PLEKANIC AS HE IS WHAT HE IS. IT IS A KNOCK ON THE HABS AND THEIR CHANCES OF WINNING A CUP. DUH

example ......... I love markov but if he was still our best D that would point to an over all weakness on that position. GET IT ????

GEEZ............you would think we were slagging someones religious beliefs.

I don't think anyone once said that plekanec is as good as Getzlaf or he is all the team needs to win the cup or anything else. I'm just trying (futile attempt I suppose) to point out that he is miss cast. I do not want plek gone at 5 million per year. Plek and DD on the same team creates a balance issue. I've said this numerous times. They both should not be the top two centre's on a good team. But I could do without the constant slagging of plekanec and the endless remarks about lovers and fan boys when people try to point out a few facts. The team has a need for a 1st line Centre. Has for 20 years. Getting rid of the closest thing they have to one before filling the position will not make the team better.

Here's the thing about Pleks, if he would score on 1/2 the breakways he gets, he would be a 40 goal scorer. There would be no discussion of trading him. The problem is he has hands of stone when he is all alone with the goalie. I really do not understand that. He is a great defensive talent and I for one would want a heck of a lot for him in return.