What will it take to make Habs a better club?

DON

Why isn't Plekanec called 'teachers pet" and DD is?

Plekanec 20:23/gm

DD 16:14

and Larry 15:59

So seems coaches are almost seeing Lars as more a #2C with increased workload in playoffs and if all 3 stay, wouldn't be a surprise to see him surpass DD in that role right from Oct on.

Then will most be happy? Larry is a big centre. Not a 200point super skilled one like Malkin granted, but he is signed relatively cheaper (as DD is also).

John MItchell?

30 year center for the Colorado Avalanche (6'1", 210lbs) that makes $1.7M. Toronto Maple Leaf fans jokingly called him "Johnny Malkin" because he'd try to make some sweet stickhandling plays beyond his skill set and get caught. He was run out of Toronto as a wasted prospect and now plays a third line defensive center role for the Avs. He put up 26 points in 68 games.

Lars Eller of course is a 26 year old center for Montreal (6'2", 210lbs) that makes $3.5M who Habs fans still cling to his infrequent moments of offensive explosion and skill that's beyond his normal skill set, which is why he sits on the third line. He put up 27 points in 77 games in a third line defensive center role.

30 year center for the Colorado Avalanche (6'1", 210lbs) that makes $1.7M. Toronto Maple Leaf fans jokingly called him "Johnny Malkin" because he'd try to make some sweet stickhandling plays beyond his skill set and get caught. He was run out of Toronto as a wasted prospect and now plays a third line defensive center role for the Avs. He put up 26 points in 68 games.

Lars Eller of course is a 26 year old center for Montreal (6'2", 210lbs) that makes $3.5M who Habs fans still cling to his infrequent moments of offensive explosion and skill that's beyond his normal skill set, which is why he sits on the third line. He put up 27 points in 77 games in a third line defensive center role.

Habs seasons much better and ton more wins with Eller at centre than Aves have had with no name MItchell...no?

Why isn't Plekanec called 'teachers pet" and DD is?

Plekanec 20:23/gm

DD 16:14

and Larry 15:59

So seems coaches are almost seeing Lars as more a #2C with increased workload in playoffs and if all 3 stay, wouldn't be a surprise to see him surpass DD in that role right from Oct on.

Then will most be happy? Larry is a big centre. Not a 200point super skilled one like Malkin granted, but he is signed relatively cheaper (as DD is also).

Pleks plays major pk. DD zero pk. 5 on 5 and pp, ice time has been about equal.

Larry on third line center/wing with no pp time, and revolving 3rd and fourth line wingers scored about what you would expect.

DD and pleks with pp time and top six minutes produced less than you would expect. especially little Davey

I do not expect more than 15 goals from larry playing third line.

26 from plaks was way more than i expected, but he crapped the bed when it mattered.

Davey i expect very little from......so he really did not disappoint.

As far as "hab fans clinging to" some fans just wont admit that with the centers this team currently employs they could NEVER win four rounds of play off hockey. Not a chance.

Larry on third line center/wing with no pp time, and revolving 3rd and fourth line wingers scored about what you would expect.

DD and pleks with pp time and top six minutes produced less than you would expect. especially little Davey

Yeah, if it wasn't for Therrien Eller would be putting up Mario Lemieux-type numbers for sure.

There is much more to this article but I agree with what is hinted at here.

Ducks assistant coach Brad Lauer, who ran the power play, was fired Tuesday. Montreal assistant coach Dan Lacroix who runs Montreal’s man advantage, instead received a vote of confidence along with the rest of the staff during Marc Bergevin’s post-mortem press conference, with the general manager going so far as to say his coaches “are doing great work.”

While that was surprising, what’s truly shocking is the disparity between the efficiency of the two teams’ power plays during the playoffs. Lacroix still has a job despite Montreal’s 2-for-36 power play (5.6%) being one of the main reasons they were eliminated. Anaheim’s man advantage clicked at a third-ranked 26.7%.

How did Lauer get along with other coaches, players, mgmt., happy with salary? And decisions on the PP are not made in isolation I assume and I think Bergevin/Therrien answered that way.

Exactly how to get PP going was discussed; but, why an outside the box group of 5 wasn't tried instead of usual suspects over and over is bit baffling for sure.

(And Hamilton's PP was worse, which seems a bit odd that both suck and for so long now, being 3 or 4 years in Hamilton and I think two+ for Habs? :blush:)

How did Lauer get along with other coaches, players, mgmt., happy with salary? And decisions on the PP are not made in isolation I assume and I think Bergevin/Therrien answered that way.

Exactly how to get PP going was discussed; but, why an outside the box group of 5 wasn't tried instead of usual suspects over and over is bit baffling for sure.

(And Hamilton's PP was worse, which seems a bit odd that both suck and for so long now, being 3 or 4 years in Hamilton and I think two+ for Habs? :blush:)

I barely know who Lauer was, so can't answer the questions. Who knows maybe he was sleeping with Corey's wife. Oh sorry different era.

the PP coach and the entire friggin hamilton staff should have been canned. But than i guess MB doesn't want to can his buddy Lefebvre.

Like those kind of messages have ever worked. Well at least he want fired during the ore-game skate.

Lauer was fired as a message to Boudreau.

Yeah, if it wasn't for Therrien Eller would be putting up Mario Lemieux-type numbers for sure.

lol Thrid line centers round the league scoring 25 goals are they?

Plekanic is going to the hall of fame for getting 26 playing first line minutes and powerplay

Eller is ruining the habs getting 15 on the third line.

Yea larry is a real problem, Prust too...... those two are not scoring enough. :nuts:

There is much more to this article but I agree with what is hinted at here.

Ducks assistant coach Brad Lauer, who ran the power play, was fired Tuesday. Montreal assistant coach Dan Lacroix who runs Montreal’s man advantage, instead received a vote of confidence along with the rest of the staff during Marc Bergevin’s post-mortem press conference, with the general manager going so far as to say his coaches “are doing great work.”

While that was surprising, what’s truly shocking is the disparity between the efficiency of the two teams’ power plays during the playoffs. Lacroix still has a job despite Montreal’s 2-for-36 power play (5.6%) being one of the main reasons they were eliminated. Anaheim’s man advantage clicked at a third-ranked 26.7%.

MB and the suits all buddies and cozy in their jobs.

Plus the bar in montreal is pretty low. Second round is some how amazing now........throw in the "goal posts stopped us from winning the cup" excuse and you have the team with the most excuses in the nhl

So, back to the thread topic...What will make the Habs a better club? What move(s) will it take to get us over the hump? Will it be a blockbuster trade? Seeing how there are no top level forwards in UFA(nor do we have the cap space to sign) I suspect a trade is imminent. There are a few contracts that can be moved for picks as well..but that hardly helps us right now. Any realistic trade ideas? Please note: No team in the WORLD will accept our garbage for their star, so please refrain from the outrageous proposals