What will it take to make Habs a better club?

DON

Play dd on the third line, never with pacs, and no powerplay time. (like Eller)

DD becomes the twenty five point guy.

That could be. But put DD on a line with Ovechkin and Tarasenko, he'd get 80+ points. And he'll do it without creating major scoring chances for the opposition.

Eller is still 25 points, no matter who you put him with. Oh, maybe he'll bump up to 30. But regardless, he'll be running around most of the time in his own end like an idiot.

Play DD with Ovechkin and Ovechkin would mutiny.

Eller was put in a shut down role and for the most part, he did what he was supposed to. DD was given an offensive role and prime PP time and did squat.

That could be. But put DD on a line with Ovechkin and Tarasenko, he'd get 80+ points. And he'll do it without creating major scoring chances for the opposition.

Eller is still 25 points, no matter who you put him with. Oh, maybe he'll bump up to 30. But regardless, he'll be running around most of the time in his own end like an idiot.

Guest Stogey24

That's a joke I hope

Dont agree but lets says for arguement sake that is so................whats does that say about your genious coach who puts Larry on the pk all the time but wont let DD near it. Not to mention the pk has been great (with larry) and the powerplay has been shite (with DD)

Eller couldn't shut down a light if standing in front of the switch. If the light was off to begin with, he'll accidentally turn it on.

DD isn't exactly shutdown material, but he doesn't make glaring defensive errors, either. I wouldn't call being the 40th highest scoring center in the NHL (out of about 120) in 2015, and averaging 50 points per full season over the last 3 full seasons, "squat."

DD produces. He produces at a solid second line pace, without making many mistakes.

The only notable things I've ever seen from Eller are creating scoring chances for the other team. He's -21 in his last two years, on a team and even with linemates that are overwhelmingly +.

Eller couldn't shut down a light if standing in front of the switch. If the light was off to begin with, he'll accidentally turn it on.

DD isn't exactly shutdown material, but he doesn't make glaring defensive errors, either. I wouldn't call being the 40th highest scoring center in the NHL (out of about 120) in 2015, and averaging 50 points per full season over the last 3 full seasons, "squat."

DD produces. He produces at a solid second line pace, without making many mistakes.

The only notable things I've ever seen from Eller are creating scoring chances for the other team. He's -21 in his last two years, on a team and even with linemates that are overwhelmingly +.

Take DD's regular season stats and put them with Plekanics and throw them out the window...................if you cant keep it up in the play offs year after year...............what good are you. Go play for the leafs.

23 play off games games between the two of them........... 1 lousy goal each.

Combined they tied Gilbert in play off goals. :rofl:

You obviously didn't bother to actually watch this year's playoffs than. If you did you would have seen Eller was used in a shutdown role and did do a good job of shutting down the top two lines he was defending in both the Sens and lightning series. He also wasn't the one who was responsible for two game winning goals like our other shutdown centre was.

Unlike DD,he also won the majority of his faceoffs. Unlike DD hour was saddled with 4th liners

There were only 24 centers in the entire NHL last year better than Plekanec, by offensive production. Pittsburgh had 2 of them.

There are 30 teams in the NHL, requiring 4 centers each. That's 120 centers.

Calling Plekanec a "third line center" is, quite frankly, idiotic. That would mean that there are only 24 first or second line centers in the entire league, and that 96 of the centers in the league - that's 75% of them - are 3rd or 4th liners.

And no, don't tell me other players would have had more points in Plekanec's spot... he was disadvantaged. He did NOT play with Pacioretty on his wing for most of the year. He played on a team with one of the lowest goals scored in the NHL. Put him on Tampa's second line, and he gets 10-20 MORE points than he had in Montreal.

(This is completely ignoring defensive ability, where Plekanec, arguably, is in the top 10.)

I'm in the "Trade Plekanec" camp, but it's not because he's a third line center. It's because he's a bona-fide first line center and we should get value for him before he's a free agent and age catches up to him soon afterward.

Note the same argument about DD applies...he was 40th in offensive production among 120 centers. That's the top third of the league. He's actually significantly above average for a 2nd line center. The difference is he did have the advantage of feeding MaxPac most of the year.

I would argue that one of our main problems is a lack of effective wingers beyond MaxPac and Gallagher. Galchenyuk is getting there (20g and 26a is coming up. If he can pad that more and take his place on a center spot, we're in much better shape.) We are a team build to roll 3.5 lines. We should have, therefore, at least 6 wingers putting up decent numbers. We have 2. No offense to Dale Weise, but if his 29 points is your third-best scoring winger, you have an offensive problem. (Note: I am NOT suggesting getting rid of Weise. Best 3rd line wing in the NHL!)

What Plekanec is NOT, is a STAR first line centre. I'd love a star center, but there are only 7 or 8 of them in the NHL. People don't part with them. So it's time to get rid of non-producing people clogging up our roster and replace them with those who produce. Eller, Parenteau, Prust, and Emelin are my first choices to go. Plekanec can be traded to make room and get some return on him while he's still worth something. Use those five to get a couple legitimate scoring/playmaking threats at forward (I don't care which forward position, as long as they're different. from each other.)

So, Michael Bossy is idiotic?

Bickering aside, I think we have three and four centers, if you count Galchenyuk that are good but completely unremarkable.

No one is talking about the three line attack now. That was the plan all year, and when it works it is awesome, however, there were no breakout performances. No Bourque, no Cammalleri and Eller was ice cold. All three centers sucked

Bickering aside, I think we have three and four centers, if you count Galchenyuk that are good but completely unremarkable.

No one is talking about the three line attack now. That was the plan all year, and when it works it is awesome, however, there were no breakout performances. No Bourque, no Cammalleri and Eller was ice cold. All three centers sucked

Yep. The 'three line' model can work, but it requires all three lines to be productive, FFS!! Instead we basically went with a 'no line' model, as they all went cold at once, Galy's line excepted, maybe.

When you think about it, this team subtracted Vanek and Gionta from the top-6 without ever replacing them. It also removed Bourque, a guy who was at least capable of playing like a top-6 FW when the mood struck, again without replacement. Now I'm not saying that getting rid of those guys was a mistake. The point is just that, maybe, the problem isn't with the model, but with the dearth of talent needed to execute it. Just a thought.

Take DD's regular season stats and put them with Plekanics and throw them out the window...................if you cant keep it up in the play offs year after year...............what good are you. Go play for the leafs.

23 play off games games between the two of them........... 1 lousy goal each.

Combined they tied Gilbert in play off goals. :rofl:

You can take playoff stats and throw them out the window. The playoffs are just a microcosm of the regular season - but over the short term, anybody can get hot or cold. The regular season stats are the judge of how much you're worth as an individual player. The playoffs are merely the result of the team as a whole. If you doubt that, I guess you think we should have a team full of René Bourques.

You obviously didn't bother to actually watch this year's playoffs than. If you did you would have seen Eller was used in a shutdown role and did do a good job of shutting down the top two lines he was defending in both the Sens and lightning series. He also wasn't the one who was responsible for two game winning goals like our other shutdown centre was.

Unlike DD,he also won the majority of his faceoffs. Unlike DD hour was saddled with 4th liners

You obviously didn't watch him try to kill Tampa powerplays, then. Eller couldn't shut down ANYTHING. If you're going to judge on faceoffs, where's the Malhotra love? He'd have been the best center we had.

So, Michael Bossy is idiotic?

Yes. He proved himself so with that comment. DD actually has consistent value as a second line center. He reminds me a lot of Stephane Lebeau back in 1993. Eller has no value on the ice at all. He's never been able to do anything consistently, except fail.

I started this so better get in on it, lol. First off, I am not a DD hater, I like what he brings. What he brings isn't going to bring us to the next level, which is the thread topic. I liked how the EGG line produced for the short time we had it. I say give it a chance. We have to open up the scoring. Go look at what I predicted for this team last year. Point wise I was shy by a bit over 10, had 120odd but that is losses to T Bay, Calgary , Ottawa. easy miss calls. My scoring to get us there was set way higher. I expected with our strategy which usually had us all over teams in scoring chance, we should be getting tons of goals. We aren't and it killed our playoff run. That must be fixed. Try Eller in big time minutes early in the year, his job to grasp first because he is our asset. If he can't be a top 6 center at this point in his career move him but give him a fair shot first. Move him before he is over 4mill a year. We need more than 50pts out of our top 2 centers. That is the point. If DD had 70pnts this year and had added 12 more in the playoffs we would not be having this thread. We don't need a huge shake up. We need to figure out how to capitalize on our plentiful scoring chances add a 4th center and figure out our 2nd top center.

"Throw play off stats out the window, regular season is the true measure"

From the Tomas Plekanic fan club. :rofl:

Right, because the meaningless soundbite out of context means you don't have to refute the argument.

See, I get the distinct impression you don't really read these posts. I like him as a player, he's a legitimate first line center, if on the lower end of the top 30 in the league. He'd be outstanding as a second line center.

However, he's 32, has one year left on his contract, and currently holds trade value as a first line center. As I've said several times, I want him packaged up for a better center or right wing. I want Plekanec, Eller, Prust, and Emelin traded off this roster.

Plekanec - trade a fading asset while we can still get good value for him.

Eller - Dump a bad contract.

Prust - Dump a bad contract that's not even producing the toughness we hired him for.

Emelin - Dump an bad contract. He's a good D-man. He's not 4.1 million good.

Oh i read the posts...... I also watch play off games. So i dont like Pleks as our first line center. I like him even less against a good team at play off time.

Top 30 centers in the league. Not even close.

Be interesting to see his value when he is traded.

Wow. I think Id rather go to TSN and read the fanatics posts there. At least they interact and don't think of themselves at hockey elitists. Since the season needed its just been who can whine loudest on here. Later, haters & fakers.

Wow. I think Id rather go to TSN and read the fanatics posts there. At least they interact and don't think of themselves at hockey elitists. Since the season needed its just been who can whine loudest on here. Later, haters & fakers.

Name calling? They do that on TSN? or is that what you bring.

Wow, that's sad. But I agree, the post-mortem tears are continuing longer than usual this year.

But that's to be expected when certain posters post 300+ times, "wait until playoffz." I don't think anyone here expected much more out of Plekanec and DD, I also guess it's our fault the Habs haven't had a dynamic center since Vinnie Damphousse. So let's all enjoy the punishment of four months of moronic and repetitive posts.

Wow, that's sad. But I agree, the post-mortem tears are continuing longer than usual this year.

But that's to be expected when certain posters post 300+ times, "wait until playoffz." I don't think anyone here expected much more out of Plekanec and DD, I also guess it's our fault the Habs haven't had a dynamic center since Vinnie Damphousse. So let's all enjoy the punishment of four months of moronic and repetitive posts.

like this one