Trade values for Emelin and Gilbert?

dlbalr

When it's a low end pick then it's mostly picks. But if it's a high end pick there's players and/or prospects along with picks. I think emelin plus our 1st could get us a 1st round pick any where from 14-20. Or if a team has more then 1 forst round pick and needs a d like emelin, they could trade one of there lower end picks for him.

When it's a low end pick then it's mostly picks. But if it's a high end pick there's players and/or prospects along with picks. I think emelin plus our 1st could get us a 1st round pick any where from 14-20. Or if a team has more then 1 forst round pick and needs a d like emelin, they could trade one of there lower end picks for him.

Edmonton says they would trade the #16 pick.

Don't be surprised when Chiarelli brings Claude Julien to town and they add a few pieces and turn it around. Trust me, they're closer than most ppl here think they are.

What exactly would Julien do in Edmonton? :)

I looked through the list of NHL trades (non deadline) deals to find similar players and what they got. I didn't include the Leddy/Boychuck trades. I don't think Emelin or Gilbert are in that league.

(It's also interesting to look through a long list of trades to see how many trades aren't the 'fan blockbuster' variety, the favorite iteration being borderline 2nd/3rd liner/B prospect/low pick. This trade or any of it's ilk happens maybe once a year out of 100 trades).

ANA-Eric Brewer *** TBL-3rd (Pick)

DAL- Jason Demers, 3rd *** SJ-Brendan Dillon (pick + prospect)

Moen/Gonchar Bourque/Allen (Depth roster players * 2)

BUF-Gorges *** MTL-2nd (Pick)

COL-Brad Stuart - SJ 2nd/6th (Pick)

TML-Roman Polak *** STL Gunnarsson/4th (hockey trade + pick)

EDM-Nikita Nikitin *** CBL-5th (Pick)

VAN-Raphael Diaz *** MTL Dale Weise (depth roster player)

EDM-Mark Fraser *** Teemu Hartikainen/Cam Abbey (prospects)

NSH-Michael Del Zaster *** NYR-Kevin Klein (hockey trade)

TML-Tim Gleason *** Carolina-JM Liles, Dennis Robertson (depth roster player)

CAL-Ladislav Smid/Olivier Roy *** EDM-Roman Horak/Laurent Brossoit (prospects)

BUF-Henrik Tallinder *** NJD-Riley Boychuk (prospects)

CAL-Kris Russel *** STL- 5th round pick (pick)

CAR-Andrej Sekera *** BUF-Jamie McBain, 2nd (pick + prospect)

CAL-David Jones/Shane O'Brien *** COL-Alex Tanguay/Corey Sarich (hockey trade)

PHI-Mark Streit *** NYI-4th/Shane Harper (pick + prospect)

DAL-Sergei Gonchar *** OTT 6th (pick)

Nineteen trades

1) Six trades were defensemen for picks.

2) Three were pick + prospect.

3) Three were for depth roster players, and interestingly enough, all three trades involved MTL.

4) Three were trades for prospects

5) Three were "hockey trades" were all players involved were steady NHLers, with the exception of the 4th in the Gunnarrson deal.

What do I think they're worth after looking at this?

Emelin-3rd-5th round pick. Three years left on his deal at 4.1 million. That's the best they can expect without picking up salary. Other deals that were better included taking back another defenseman.

Gilbert-Prospect or depth player

Guest Stogey24

Emelin is basically a number 4 d-man who can hit and has a bit of an offensive side. He's worth more than a 3rd round pick.

Emelin is basically a number 4 d-man who can hit and has a bit of an offensive side. He's worth more than a 3rd round pick.

Does he really have an offensive side? His career high in points is 17 and he's never scored more than three goals in a season. He had one good offensive year in Russia too, the rest were mediocre at best. I know he doesn't get much PP time but it's not like that would have helped his numbers much anyways given the fact it couldn't score most of the year.

Guest Stogey24

I don't like Emelin, I think his hockey IQ is below average and his lateral movement has taken a big hit after his knee surgey. With that being said, I still think a team would give up a second rounder for him. He's still pretty young and is definitely servicable force on the blue line.

I'd take emelin over gorges and we hots, 2nd for him.

I don't like Emelin, I think his hockey IQ is below average and his lateral movement has taken a big hit after his knee surgey. With that being said, I still think a team would give up a second rounder for him. He's still pretty young and is definitely servicable force in the blue line.

We could also get some aging offensive spark up front for emelin, assuming the salary we take over is similar to emelin's. With the lack of free agent forwards this year, it might be worth a go for a guy past his prime that can still contribute.

We're a good trade partner with Dallas. Bob Gainey makes things nice and easy for us I guess.

He also fits quite well in New Jersey. They have a history with Russian defencemen and NJ has a ton of cap space.

If the Devils don't give one of their second round picks I'll gladly take a third and fourth.

I know we're discussing what their value is and I also get the salary factor. With that being said, I don't trade Emelin unless it's for a roster player. I would consider the Eriksson or Berglund trade that was mentioned by Will but that just seems like making a trade for the sake of making a trade. I'd rather have a d corps with both Tinordi and Emelin than just one of them.

I like Gilbert to an extent as well but if either should be moved it's him and if he was moved, it probably would be for a prospect and a lateish pick.

Guest Stogey24

I don't see Gilbert going anywhere. He's cap friendly and to give credit where it's due, he stepped his game up in the playoffs.

M.B seems to like his cap space during the year, someone is on their way out. Emelin makes the most sense

I don't see Gilbert going anywhere. He's cap friendly and to give credit where it's due, he stepped his game up in the playoffs.

M.B seems to like his cap space during the year, someone is on their way out. Emelin makes the most sense

Emelin may make the most sense in a larger package but on their own I don't agree. I can't see how I would like the return in a trade where Emelin was traded on his own because I'd want a roster player back and the other team would be looking to shed a player with a bad salary as well. So considering their respective value in a trade involving just themselves, I'd rather get rid of Gilbert, even with the salary comparison since we'd be getting salary back anyway.

I want Emelin part of a larger deal as well, but the bottom line is that if we can't/don't move another big salary (preferably bad salary like PAP or overpaid 4th liner like Prust), we have no room to add the forward we desperately need). We're going to be hard pressed to just give raises to our RFA's. There won't be room to add the offensive help we so desperately need.

I hop we can move emelin, Gilbert, PAP and Prust, but also doubt Gilbert is going anywhere. We would need to move one of our top 3 centres as part of a larger package to get a areal bona-fide scorer

There is no way we ever could/would trade for Erixkson and frankly that's not the kind of player we need.

Emelin may make the most sense in a larger package but on their own I don't agree. I can't see how I would like the return in a trade where Emelin was traded on his own because I'd want a roster player back and the other team would be looking to shed a player with a bad salary as well. So considering their respective value in a trade involving just themselves, I'd rather get rid of Gilbert, even with the salary comparison since we'd be getting salary back anyway.

Moving Emelin alone is something that I would definitely avoid. We need to unload his contract, not to bring back another bad one.

So pairing him with, let's say our 1st pick, makes much more sense to me. It would allow us to upgrade Emelin. I don't mind bringing back another big contract for Emelin if it means an upgrade. I wish this upgrade would be a RW. Put me in the team that want to package Emelin along with something that would include some of DD, 1st or 2nd picks and Fucale for a top 12 RW among the league.

Just to say that I don't put any value on Emelin alone. Any value for our team. What we would get for Emelin alone doesn't interest me one bit.

100% agree. Unless we were to trade Subban, price, Maxpac, or Gallagher (none of whom I'd want to move), no single Hab alone will bring us the offensive help we need. To get a young player with huge offensive upside, we need to offer to fill multiple holes for another team.

Just to say that I don't put any value on Emelin alone. Any value for our team. What we would get for Emelin alone doesn't interest me one bit.

I think Gilbert gets traded for a 3rd rounder. Emelin stays, he has a NTC. Tinordi gets dealt since he must clear waivers this year, along with Paterin, and he hasn't progressed in three years. He gets traded at the draft to move up if MB likes a prospect.