Habs sign George "Bud" Holloway

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=773467

PRESS RELEASE

MONTREAL – Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced Wednesday that the team has agreed to terms on a one-year, two-way contract (2015-16) with free agent forward George "Bud" Holloway.

Holloway, 27, played 42 games with Bern in Swiss National League A in 2014-15, recording 37 points (13 goals, 24 assists). The 6-foot, 200 -pound defenseman had a plus-7 differential and served 24 penalty minutes.

Since making his professional debut in 2008-09, Holloway has collected 120 points (54 goals, 66 assists) in 191 games with the AHL’s Manchester Monarchs. He also played in the ECHL in 2008-09 and in Sweden (2011 to 2014). A product of the WHL’s Seattle Thunderbirds, Holloway totaled 197 points (95 goals, 102 assists) in 282 regular season games in the juniors.

A native of Wapella, Saskatchewan, Holloway was selected in the third round, 86th overall by the Los Angeles Kings at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

----

Was a very good player for the Manchester Monarchs, went to Sweden and was excellent there as well and could be huge for the IceCaps. It says he's a defenceman but he's a right winger.

Interesting indeed! Bud has been considered the best american player outside the NHL for many years. Followed him close during his years in Skellefteå AIK.

15 goals and 20 assist could be expected I think. Would fit both on a second line or third line.

• Upvote 1

I think they're intending for him to play with St. John's but I wouldn't be shocked if he spent some time with Montreal.

Same.

Also, "The Sekac Effect" claim people made in other places is officially dead before it got a chance to move. Habs have no trouble signing players overseas.

And the write-up for this signing: http://www.habsworld.net/2015/07/habs-sign-bud-holloway/

(As much as I enjoy the frenzy, five articles in a day is enough. Save something for tomorrow or later in the offseason...)

You are doing a fine job Brian. Keep up the good work and I hear there will be a little extra something in your pay packet. :)

A little tidbit about his time in Sweden. He led the entire league in scoring in 2012-13, finishing 11 points ahead of the second highest point getter, Carl Soderberg. (Yes, that Carl Soderberg, the one who just got a big contract in Colorado.) The year before that, he led the league in playoff points. Second place that postseason was Anaheim's Jakob Silfverberg.

A little tidbit about his time in Sweden. He led the entire league in scoring in 2012-13, finishing 11 points ahead of the second highest point getter, Carl Soderberg. (Yes, that Carl Soderberg, the one who just got a big contract in Colorado.) The year before that, he led the league in playoff points. Second place that postseason was Anaheim's Jakob Silfverberg.

The times I saw him he seemed to allways score ppgoals. If he can play smaller ice he can be a great addition.

Maybe he can be that top6 rw we need.

Yeah, I agree.

I think you're undervaluing this addition. Holloway has been a top scorer in every team his whole career. Strange he never got the chance with the Kings as he lead the Manchester Monarchs in scoring during his two full seasons in the AHL. He did the exact same thing in Sweden.

MVP one year. Three seasons. Three finals and two cup won.

Same thing in Switzerland. Missed a few games, but had the same point-per-game ratio as the top scorer Martin Pluss.

SHL, former Elitserien could be said to be equal to the AHL. NLA in Switzerland is slightly below, but not that far.

If the Habs finds a way to get max out of Bud Holloway he will be a top six forward. As I said earlier. Give him a full season and I would expect about 15 goals and 20 helper from this guy. This is not a prospect, but a pro that's used to north american hockey.

The way I see it. Last season team stats: Byron Ritchie out scored him and he tied with MA Gargnani... but he did out score Alain Berger and Chuck Kobasew lmao

This AHL scoring depth all the way. St-Pierre, Hensick and now.. Holloway.

Interesting under-the-radar move. More importantly, this guy actually has a nickname that isn't just a boring diminutive of his actual name ("Prusty," "Kass," "Bergy," "Pricey," etc., etc.). That alone practically makes him a throwback to the good old days of Chicoutimi Cucumbers, Stratford Streaks, Pocket Rockets, and (my personal favourite) The Flower. Go Bud go!!!

He certainly makes them look bad, and maybe they are.

Skellefteå was in a class of their own during those years. Dominating the league. But the oposition is still SHL so should be around the same as the AHL. But this is big ice hockey. The speedier and narrower AHL and NHL ice might make it hard for him. We will se. Its a cheap deal that can prove great if he can translate his play.

I'm cautiously optimistic with this one. I hope Holloway is one of those classic late bloomers that flourishes late in the NHL, but who knows? Another low risk, potential high reward signing. I am pleased with MB's work this summer, but again... I still want Joel Ward....