Canadiens sign Alex Semin, one year, $1.1 M

Very low risk move, and I'm happy with it. It's better than the returning Quebec hero playing out his final year(s) well after his best-by date. At 31 ( I think) Semin should still be able to be a productive player. If not, he hasn't been brought it to be an elite asset, nor is he paid like one. I do sure hope we get off this "character" kick though. It's been so beated into the lexicon of the Habs that it seems character takes precedence over talent. It's not like Semin's "character" single handedly destroyed the Canes or the Caps. Sure, hard working lunch bucket guys are nice, but talent is nice too. And you aren't going to get the hard nosed AND talented guy for 1.1M.

Very good post!

Still early in the Summer and training camp is a long way, but anyone here ready to predict Semin will get more points than Patches this season?

Sure we don't know Patches' extent of injury, but that's part of the guessing game ;)

I feel like it's a hit or miss and I tend to think our PP can't get worse. It's safe to say Semin should really help the PP and it's also safe to say any player on a 1-yr deal tend to perform well. He's also only 31 so baring injuries, he should perform. My prediction would be that Semin will get more pts than our scoring leader from last season!

Patch 72GP 32G 38A 70P

Semin 74GP 31G 42A 73P

I said Briere would have a resurgence and score25 goals with the Habs. My predicting days are done

haha. you do well.

there's however I think different factors to be more optimistic with Semin. Plus he's not 36.

Still early in the Summer and training camp is a long way, but anyone here ready to predict Semin will get more points than Patches this season?

Sure we don't know Patches' extent of injury, but that's part of the guessing game ;)

I feel like it's a hit or miss and I tend to think our PP can't get worse. It's safe to say Semin should really help the PP and it's also safe to say any player on a 1-yr deal tend to perform well. He's also only 31 so baring injuries, he should perform. My prediction would be that Semin will get more pts than our scoring leader from last season!

Patch 72GP 32G 38A 70P

Semin 74GP 31G 42A 73P

Considering Semin has been brutal on the PP the last couple of years (see my post earlier in this thread), it's not at all safe to say that he'll really help the PP.

As for a points expectation? About half of what you have seems reasonable. The last time he had numbers like that was in 2009-10. 5 years older and on his third team since then isn't a good reason to think he's suddenly going to rediscover that form on a highly more defensive-oriented team than the run and gun squad Capital teams he played for. Semin should be better next year than he was last season. But he's not going to magically become a high-end star again either.

Sergei Samsonov 2.0?

I dont remember what we paid Samsonov but I bet it was more than Semin.

I still think signing Semin is a good idea at the contract we got him for.

But lets say he has a good season with 20+ goals and 50+ pts... How many will suddenly want us to resign him again to a longer term deal for 5M/ year? Thats the danger of him having a rebound year.

Sergei Samsonov 2.0?

But lets say he has a good season with 20+ goals and 50+ pts... How many will suddenly want us to resign him again to a longer term deal for 5M/ year? Thats the danger of him having a rebound year.

If he plays like a top line winger, of course people will want to see him signed. It means he filled a valuable need.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Sergei Samsonov 2.0?

So what are you saying? You don't want him to do well so we don't have to extend his contract?

We have one of savviest G.M's in the game. At 31, Semin probably isn't getting 5 year deal with the Habs, no matter what kind of numbers he puts up.

I just want to see his skill get a chance to shine through, MT has got to give him a fair shake, and I'm pretty sure he will. Maybe an inspired Semin will surprise with a decent season of 15+ goals, and more importantly, 30 + assists. I am hoping for the best like the rest of ya...

So what are you saying? You don't want him to do well so we don't have to extend his contract?

We have one of savviest G.M's in the game. At 31, Semin probably isn't getting 5 year deal with the Habs, no matter what kind of numbers he puts up.

Maybe the best scenario is him doing so well that we cant afford to resign him.
  • Upvote 1

Maybe the best scenario is him doing so well that we cant afford to resign him.

I am ok with that. One year is enough for the rookies to come up to par.

Sergei Samsonov 2.0?

I will take the good season please! Habs need more offense...period.

Guest Stogey24

I wonder how Weise is going to react the RW depth. There were times last year when he'd go absolutely invisible when he was put back on the fourth line after a stint of playing top 6 minutes. Forgot his role at times

A lot of fans are overlooking how many SOGs Semin attempts, they aren't low % either; he got really unlucky last couple of seasons. For 1.1 Million and short commitment, I think MB has found the diamond in the rough. When you are on a winning team, all you need is a spark of inspiration then voila. McCarron might be NHL ready but he may also need half a season in Hamilton before making the jump. IMO, the player I look forward to seeing crack the lineup is Christian Thomas (but also hoping Zack Kassian isn't a complete flop). Now..if Michel Therien somehow ends up level-headed by early October, hello deep post-season run.

Was gonna ask what number he is, hope is isn't as lazy and spineless as the last #13, but seems a very similar player. :nuts:

I don't think I have heard anyone refer to Camalari like that. He put up some pretty good numbers for us. When he wasn't injured. Then again Tanguay was injured all the time too. Hmmm maybe he should rethink the number thing.

Couldn't stand Cammalleri, softest laziest floater I have ever seen, but I know most HabFans did like him and wouldn't mind seeing him back as a Hab.

Couldn't stand Cammalleri, softest laziest floater I have ever seen, but I know most HabFans did like him and wouldn't mind seeing him back as a Hab.

Boy you really don't like him. I wasn't any big fan of his but he scored some goals. I don't want to see him back here though, that picture show has gone by.