Canadiens sign Alex Semin, one year, $1.1 M

MB should sign Gomez $1M/1yr and have him centre a line with Semin and Kassian.

Therrien won't make it until Christmas (nervous breakdown or stroke) - you pick.

MB should sign Gomez $1M/1yr and have him centre a line with Semin and Kassian.

Therrien won't make it until Christmas (nervous breakdown or stroke) - you pick.

hahaha.

I think your onto something there!

hey just noticed I am an official injury call up now.....I made it!!!!! time to put it in neutral boys

• Upvote 1

RW) Gallagher, Semin, Kassian, Smith-Pelly, Weise, Flynn, Andrighetto (Scherbak McCarron)

Safe to say Semin will probably get a long look at LW until Pax returns.

MT is going to come down hard on this guy. Could be a total disaster unless the leadership core motivates and stands up for him.

That being said - he has the skill to score as many as Mad Max (which would be amazeballs).

RW) Gallagher, Semin, Kassian, Smith-Pelly, Weise, Flynn, Andrighetto (Scherbak McCarron)

Safe to say Semin will probably get a long look at LW until Pax returns.

Considering it appears Pacioretty may not miss any regular season action, that means Semin won't be on the left side for long. :)

Smith-Pelly and Weise are both players that can probably be deployed on the left side on lower lines similar to the way that Therrien played Prust on his off-wing at times. Flynn is a natural centre while the other three should be in the minors. The depth is there but I don't think they'll need to shift Semin to the opposite wing. If they want him to be comfortable to get some of his confidence back, they're probably best off starting him on the right at least.

On a side note, boy, has the RW depth changed lately. Semin, Kassian, Smith-Pelly, and Flynn have all been added in the last five months.

MT is going to come down hard on this guy. Could be a total disaster unless the leadership core motivates and stands up for him.

You're describing a player rebellion against the coach - all in support of a POS slob who only shows up when he feels like it. This would be an absolute worst-case scenario. Even I, for whom this is a pure cross-your-fingers-and-hope-for-the-best signing, am not this pessimistic.

If Therrien comes down hard on Semin, it will be because Semin is a bum. Here's what an actual blood-and-guts hockey player who brings it every single shift - the kind of player you win Cups with - has to say about MT:

"He made us earn every opportunity. If you want to get put on the ice in key situations, you had to show that you were deserving of it. And once you do deserve it, he’s not shy to put you out there in tough situations....As long as you earn it, he’s going to throw you out and trust that you’re going to get the job done.”

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/habs-gallagher-says-playing-for-therrien-has-been-really-good-for-me

These comments echo the public statements of Max Pacioretty, another winner who gives his all.

If Semin fails to show up highly motivated, then I hope nobody "stands up for him." He should get MT's boot right up his butthole and be kicked out of the league, which is where no-compete bums deserve to be.

You're describing a player rebellion against the coach - all in support of a POS slob who only shows up when he feels like it. This would be an absolute worst-case scenario. Even I, for whom this is a pure cross-your-fingers-and-hope-for-the-best signing, am not this pessimistic.

If Therrien comes down hard on Semin, it will be because Semin is a bum. Here's what an actual blood-and-guts hockey player who brings it every single shift - the kind of player you win Cups with - has to say about MT:

"He made us earn every opportunity. If you want to get put on the ice in key situations, you had to show that you were deserving of it. And once you do deserve it, he’s not shy to put you out there in tough situations....As long as you earn it, he’s going to throw you out and trust that you’re going to get the job done.”

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/habs-gallagher-says-playing-for-therrien-has-been-really-good-for-me

These comments echo the public statements of Max Pacioretty, another winner who gives his all.

If Semin fails to show up highly motivated, then I hope nobody "stands up for him." He should get MT's boot right up his butthole and be kicked out of the league, which is where no-compete bums deserve to be.

Or the leadership on this team will take him under their wings, and get him motivated to play. They will shower him with love. He will be so loved that he will have to perform at his best, ok let's all sing kumbya.

Or the leadership on this team will take him under their wings, and get him motivated to play. They will shower him with love. He will be so loved that he will have to perform at his best, ok let's all sing kumbya.

More likely than that is that Semin will be motivated to earn a longer-term contract.

Which is fine. He can motivate himself to 30 goals in the season, 10 in the playoffs. Win a Cup with us and go wherever the heck he wants.

That would be the ideal scenario, obviously.

I called this signing when Carolina bought Semin out. I brought it up in another post a few weeks ago as well. Personally, I'm gung-ho about the signing. One year @ $1.1m, $6.3m cap space free for Chucky and cap room. Finisher on the other wing from Chucky, I'd assume our 2nd line would be Chucky - Pleks - Semin. Pleks to cover Semin's defensive lapses and chucky has someone who can shoot to feed to puck to. I would see this as a real great chance for Semin and for Chucky to break out in a big way.

Worse case scenario? Semin doesn't produce, gets bumped down, possibly press box alot, Smith-Pelly/Kassian/Weise/rookie takes his spot on the second line and we are done with him at season's end. I'm ok with that while he's being paid $1.1m with no commitment.

Best case? He steps back into a 20-30 goal scorer, ignites Chucky's offense, possibly Patches - Chucky - Semin first line (Semin's best years were on a line where he was not the guy), ignites the PP, likes Montreal so much he re-signs with mid-term and good money ($3m-$4m per + his buyout from Carolina) and continues to play good hockey.

I also read an interesting point on TSN.ca. Last year in Carolina, Semin was the only Russian player and can't speak english well. I know he's a pro, but maybe this has effected his production, the language barrier. This shouldn't be a problem on Montreal with 3 Russians, and his best years were playing with a russian on the other wing, for us that would be Chucky. I see this as a low-risk signing with more potential impact than Kassian could have.

I also read an interesting point on TSN.ca. Last year in Carolina, Semin was the only Russian player and can't speak english well. I know he's a pro, but maybe this has effected his production, the language barrier. This shouldn't be a problem on Montreal with 3 Russians, and his best years were playing with a russian on the other wing, for us that would be Chucky. I see this as a low-risk signing with more potential impact than Kassian could have.

It can be tough to understand your coaches without someone to help you with things, especially when the coaches get into things that don't have to do with formation or positioning. It's less about teammates as they can usually get their message across through motions.

It can be tough to understand your coaches without someone to help you with things, especially when the coaches get into things that don't have to do with formation or positioning. It's less about teammates as they can usually get their message across through motions.

It's tough for da henglish players to unnnerstan Le Genius, what the heck is Semin gonna do. Chucky considers himself american since he is a citizen. BUT Markov may be the great interpreter and motivate Semin to great heights. I don't know if chucky speaks russian? I think he does.

If a lack of fellow Russians explains his problems in Carolina, what explains his crapping out in Washington the year before the lockout?

I too hope that Semin returns to the form of his heyday, but there seems to be an excess of optimism about this happening IMHO.

I still think one of Eller or Desharnais won't make it to opening day. MB will trade one. My guess: Eller (packaged along with Gilbert) for either picks/prospects. Then, those picks/prospects will come in handy at the trade deadline should MB need to make a bigger trade (i.e. splash).

Opening day roster:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Semin

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher

Smith-Pelly - De La Rose - Kassian

Weisse - Mitchell - Flynn

Extra forward (Thomas, Andrighetto)

Subban - Petry

Markov - Beaulieu

Emelin - Pateryn

Tinordi

If a lack of fellow Russians explains his problems in Carolina, what explains his crapping out in Washington the year before the lockout?

I too hope that Semin returns to the form of his heyday, but there seems to be an excess of optimism about this happening IMHO.

CC it is the summer doldrums, can't watch hockey so have to laugh. Ya know I hope Semin works out and I actually think he will cause after this he is going home to Mother Russia, no NHL team will touch him, but if he plays really good then he will get big contract for many years so he can be pos again. :) Just not with the Habs. He is our new Kovalev.

Have to second CC's comments regarding MT and the great job he's been doing on the bench. And there's something distasteful about Semin jokes.

I like the move very much largely because , thanks to Therrien, we have one of the best rooms in the NHL by all accounts and it just could be good timing and a good fit. And no.. I'm not going to end this with a semin joke. Seriously.. I'm not. Really. Nope. Ain't gonna haapen. Uh-uh.

Have to second CC's comments regarding MT and the great job he's been doing on the bench. And there's something distasteful about Semin jokes.

I like the move very much largely because , thanks to Therrien, we have one of the best rooms in the NHL by all accounts and it just could be good timing and a good fit. And no.. I'm not going to end this with a semin joke. Seriously.. I'm not. Really. Nope. Ain't gonna haapen. Uh-uh.

Maybe try eating more pineapple?

• Upvote 2

Very low risk move, and I'm happy with it. It's better than the returning Quebec hero playing out his final year(s) well after his best-by date. At 31 ( I think) Semin should still be able to be a productive player. If not, he hasn't been brought it to be an elite asset, nor is he paid like one. I do sure hope we get off this "character" kick though. It's been so beated into the lexicon of the Habs that it seems character takes precedence over talent. It's not like Semin's "character" single handedly destroyed the Canes or the Caps. Sure, hard working lunch bucket guys are nice, but talent is nice too. And you aren't going to get the hard nosed AND talented guy for 1.1M.