Windows 10

dlbalr

I was going to bump an old Windows discussion thread to talk about this but the most recent Windows discussion I could find was about Vista. Boy, we need to do a better job at using this sub-forum more...

The 'free for life' (aka, the supported life of the device) upgrade to Windows 10 is available on Wednesday. Is anyone signed up for the initial download or are you waiting (like me) to see if there are any kinks to work out? Or is anyone on the preview/trial that's already out; if so, anything good or bad stand out?

I've been reading up on it, especially Microsoft Edge. It needs to do a better job supporting HTML5.

From what I've read, Edge seems rather undeveloped at this time and more of a bare bones browser (with improvements/new developments, etc to come later on). Mind you, I wouldn't use it anyways probably; I've been a Firefox user for a few years now and I'm content with it.

From what I've read, Edge seems rather undeveloped at this time and more of a bare bones browser (with improvements/new developments, etc to come later on). Mind you, I wouldn't use it anyways probably; I've been a Firefox user for a few years now and I'm content with it.

Firefox crashes way too much for my liking. I tend to use Chrome for work, Opera for home.

I will be waiting at least 6 months so that Microsoft can fix it. There will be at least 1 sp by then. I have used firefox since it came out, I have rarely had a problem, other than the adobe flash crashing. But that is not FF's problem that is the peckerheads at adobe who refuse to fix it properly.

Some of the 'interesting' notes so far:

- Odd error messages:

CLD0pr2UwAAwQwM.png

- An ad-free version of Solitaire will cost you $9.99 a year or $1.49 per month.

- There seem to be some issues if you change back to your old version after upgrading: http://reviews.gizmodo.com/psa-windows-10-isnt-a-risk-free-upgrade-1720936691?rev=1438205126961

Well I will see how it looks in 6 months. By then all these little things will be worked out. It is not that I don't trust Microsoft, it just that their reputation precedes them. They have yet to put out a program that worked properly right out of the box. 10 bucks for solitaire? are they out of their minds. There are probably 2 million versions of solitaire for free on the net. I have barely ever played solitaire on my computer anyway.

Well I will see how it looks in 6 months. By then all these little things will be worked out. It is not that I don't trust Microsoft, it just that their reputation precedes them. They have yet to put out a program that worked properly right out of the box. 10 bucks for solitaire? are they out of their minds. There are probably 2 million versions of solitaire for free on the net. I have barely ever played solitaire on my computer anyway.

You can still play Solitaire for free, you just have to deal with some ads.

• 3 weeks later...

More on the privacy issues with Windows 10: http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/17/9167203/windows-10-privacy-scare-cloud-privacy

I think Microsoft is trying to put the push on to get even more people switched over. The notification icon has popped up a message three times already today on my computer, basically saying get the upgrade now while you still can. It has only been what, not even three weeks?

• 2 weeks later...

I also have it installed and for the most part like it, but don't like the "controlling nature" of it, as defaults are set to let microsoft update automatically,. etc.

Where I only read a few sites and run one of my own, and do a bit of online gaming, I have found the transition not so bad, the browser is a bit hard to get used to, but I am getting along pretty good so far on the learning curve of the operating system that will soon be the best yet I'm sure....

• 2 weeks later...

Switched to Windows 10, had to restart, computer won't restart. Infinite loop when I switch the power on. I let it go for a whole 2 hours and it restarted every 17 seconds by itself.

Uninstalled... :angry2::wall::angry2:

You guys don't listen. Windows does this all the time. Wait 6 months maybe 9 it will be good, right after all the people who jumped on the band wagon figure out the problems. Why be the experiment wait for the result.

• 7 months later...

Well, now that a bunch of time has passed, anyone else take the plunge and switch?

There's 'only' 10 weeks left in the free download period and Windows has taken the next step towards trying to force people onto it. Now, they're automatically scheduling the download and give you one notification that they've done so. If you close it like you do every other notification that pops up on a near-daily basis, you automatically consent to the download. So if you're like me and don't want to switch yet (or at all), be on the lookout for this.