Alex Galchenyuk re-signs, 2 year bridge, $2.8M per season

If I remember correctly, the contract Subban was rumoured to have wanted was a five year deal. It would have expired in 16-17. There was never talk of a 12 year Duncan Keith contract.

So we would have saved on the cap for a couple years then would be re-signing Subban in the summer of 2017 at the same cost or higher and he'd be done it at an older age.

If I remember correctly, the contract Subban was rumoured to have wanted was a five year deal. It would have expired in 16-17. There was never talk of a 12 year Duncan Keith contract.

So we would have saved on the cap for a couple years then would be re-signing Subban in the summer of 2017 at the same cost or higher and he'd be done it at an older age.

Bingo. That has been said on here many times before too but the complaint still stands for some. (I've even gone back at times and found the links to support the five year ask.) At no point whatsoever did Subban or his agent give any public indication that they had any interest in a 'Hab for life' contract. They wanted 5 years which would have taken him to UFA status at 28, not 12 or more. They could have done so privately, but I'm not going to criticize management for failing to do a contract that neither side seemed interested in doing.

Subban's bridge deal is really old news. It can't be changed. Let's all get over it. Galchenyuk deal is good. PK hab for life. Semin will score 30 goals. All is good.

I think this is a good deal for both parties. It will allow the Habs to see what Galchenyuk REALLY has to offer. If he progresses in the right direction, I don't think the administration will have a problem offering him a long term deal (let's not forget that at the end of this 2 year deal , Chucky will still only be 23 or 24 years old).

I think this is a good deal for both parties. It will allow the Habs to see what Galchenyuk REALLY has to offer. If he progresses in the right direction, I don't think the administration will have a problem offering him a long term deal (let's not forget that at the end of this 2 year deal , Chucky will still only be 23 or 24 years old).

He will also still be a restricted free agent.

But I'll bet there's actually a secret anagram in there somewhere to be decoded by internet fans: 'it took forever because Galchenyuk was sick of the world's worst coach ruining his life'

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

He "will" play C. But how frequently and with what level of consistency? After all, he "did" play C last season as well.

Also, why the conversion on the road to Damascus? At the end of last season, Zoot Suit was concerned to prepare us all for the possibility that Galy might never become a C. Three months later, without a single additional game being played, he's declaring Galchenyuk "mentally ready" to become a C. What gives?

What interests me is whether there is a scission between Therrien and Bergevin on this. (I have no idea whether this is the case, of course, but confused messaging from the GM makes this a possibility). If, as many fans have angrily hypothesized, Therrien feels more comfortable with Desharnais, then Bergevin will have to trade DD just to force the coach's hand. It'll be interesting.

He "will" play C. But how frequently and with what level of consistency? After all, he "did" play C last season as well.

Also, why the conversion on the road to Damascus? At the end of last season, Zoot Suit was concerned to prepare us all for the possibility that Galy might never become a C. Three months later, without a single additional game being played, he's declaring Galchenyuk "mentally ready" to become a C. What gives?

Oh dear CC, don't tell you me you don't know the difference between "Buy Bergevin" and "Sell Bergevin" yet?

I repeated many times before when he said that he was buying low on Galchenyuk. He isn't going to praise him or say he's the future centre of the team. Now that he's signed, he's giving Galchenyuk what he wants and selling high on him.

DD is already telling reporters he expects to play wing. I'd say it's as permanent of a move as one could be.

Oh dear CC, don't tell you me you don't know the difference between "Buy Bergevin" and "Sell Bergevin" yet?

I repeated many times before when he said that he was buying low on Galchenyuk. He isn't going to praise him or say he's the future centre of the team. Now that he's signed, he's giving Galchenyuk what he wants and selling high on him.

DD is already telling reporters he expects to play wing. I'd say it's as permanent of a move as one could be.

Aha! That sounds like a good analysis, Machine. I hope you're right.

CC you are correct, when you talk about Le Genius. He is the guy who decides who plays where. He is a very stubborn man, and there probably will be a trade to effect Alex at centre. So looking for DD or Eller to be gone early in the year.