Habs draft Cory Urquhart with 40th in 2nd round

TheAussiePosse

Cory Urquhart Montreal's first 2nd Round pick

With the first of their two second-round selections in the draft, the Canadiens picked Cory Urquhart, a 6-foot-2, 195-pound center who had played in Montreal this past season with the QMJHL's Rocket.

Urquhart's stock rose considerably, as he was taken 40th overall after entering the draft ranked 73rd by THN and listed as the 32nd North American skater by the CSB.

Urquhart, who will turn 19 on Oct. 1, is described as a good skater with solid balance who carries the puck well and protects it with his body. He has very good hands and playmaking abilities, and reads the play and sees the ice very well. Scouts report that he has improved drastically over the past season; in 2001-2002, he notched 36 points (17 goals, 19 assists) in 70 games, while in 2002-2003, he more than doubled that production, registering 78 points (35 goals, 43 assists) in 71 games.

"It's the best day of my life," raved Urquhart following his selection by Montreal. "I'm happy for my father, for me, and for my whole family."

Attending the draft in Nashville with his parents, grandparents, and other members of his immediate family, Urquhart knows that though his path to the NHL has just taken a turn for the better, there remains much road ahead of him.

"I need to continue improving with every game," he conceded.

A self-professed goal-scorer, Urquhart became the fifth Rocket player in history selected at the NHL Draft, and the second by the Canadiens. Montreal picked Michael Lambert, Urquhart's former teammate, last year in Toronto.

http://centralscouting.nhl.com/amplayprofs...80?OpenDocument

http://www.whalers.org/subways/players/player_19.html

http://dans.topcities.com/UrquhartRoad.htm

6'2, 195 pounds.

:clap:

PPGmer. Not the grittiest, but then again, QMJHL is known for its scorers...

[Edited on 22-6-03 by Habs77]

2nd year in a row AS has taken a player from our own backyard...

Last year M.Lambert from the Rockets , this year Cory Urquhart from the Rockets...

He's got decent size , I hear that skating is a concern though...

55 URQUHART, CORY QMJHL MONTREAL 10/1/1984 6' 2" 195 C L 71GP 35G 43A 78PTS 28PIM

One scout said: "Uhrquhart - not overly fond of him. "He's not real brave, but he's around the puck all the time. I think he's a third rounder."

Only 28PIM in 71GP... so no grit. Decent point totals though but I'm not too impressed with this pick.

At least he's 6'2''...195lbs... so at worst he has size.

Looks like a "local" kinda pick, Rockets connection and all.

Maybe our scouts while following the progress of Lambert got to liking this kid on the same team.

We'll see.

[Edited on 21-6-03 by Habs77]

Here's a good article on him:

Good article click here (french)

A few points:

- they call him one of the best prospects from the Q league

- despite his good numbers, he says he's never satisfied with his game

- was dominating during the playoffs

- has the A on his sweater for the first time this year, he's a leader in the room

- good defensive game, impressive on the PK

Doesn't sound too bad :)

Good skater with mobility Good stride sees the ice well Creates scoring chances Creative with the puck Has a good scoring touch. Needs to improve his physical game Needs to use his size to his advantage.

Overall game, A big skilled center with a great stride and excellent agility He's a very good stickhandler with a variety of shots under coach Alain Vigneault he has begun to use his size was very impressive in the playoffs 15pts (9-6-15) in 7 games. He has a number of good offensive skills but he needs to learn to use his teamates more. Corey is a wild card, a make it or break it kind of player Too much offensive potential to make it past the 2nd round.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

He's got a magnificent shot...... probably the best in the draft; lethal from anywhere inside the blue line. Heavy, accurate, and a great release. Has a quick stick and great hands. Very streaky. Doesn't show much passion in the regular season,but for the second straight year he stepped it up big time in the playoffs, erupting for 15 points in 7 games.Earns marks for coming to play when it counts. However, he doesn't have the speed, first step quickness or elusiveness to beat defensemen off the rush. Below average skater and we're still gun shy about his lack of intensity below the circles. Though he has good size and uses his body well to shield puck from defenders, he doesn't really get involved in the traffic areas. Can be lazy in his own zone at times.

Projection: 2nd/3rd line wing who helps on the PP.

Style compares to: Brian Savage (poor skating version)

‘Cory is a hard worker’

“It could be easily 25 of the 30 teams called myself personally to talk about Cory and (fellow Rocket Maxim) Lapierre. I don’t lie. I just tell them what I’ve seen. Cory is a hard worker.”

Most notably, Urquhart is a goal-scorer. He scored 35 goals and 78 points in 71 games during his third season in the Quebec league. In the playoffs, he fired nine goals and 15 points in seven games as the Rocket lost to the Sherbrooke Castors.

His draft stock climbed considerably — 23 spots higher — in the final Central Scouting rankings.

“The scouts base a lot on playoffs, where it’s a tougher competition, and the games mean the most, and the real players come to play,” said Urquhart, a former Dartmouth midget.

“And that was maybe one of my knocks before — that I wasn’t intense enough or I wasn’t consistent enough. But, after a strong playoff, I think some people are going to remember my name come Nashville. It’s definitely going to be a fun time.”

Vigneault believes Urquhart has the potential to be an offensive player in the NHL, despite the tendency nowadays for tighter-checking and lower-scoring games.

“If Cory is ever going to play in the NHL, in my books, it’s going to have to be on one of those top two offensive lines,” Vigneault said.

“He won’t be a third- or fourth-line player, because the grittiness is not part of the package that you’re buying. You’re buying a player that when he has the puck, you better be aware that things might happen.

‘He’ll outsmart you’

“Cory understands the game. He’s not a liability defensively, but he won’t outmuscle you. He’ll outsmart you. That’s his game and there’s nothing wrong with that. Some great players have played that style — like Jacques Lemaire.”

When he was a child, Urquhart cheered for the Pittsburgh Penguins because of offensive stars Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr. These days, he likes the Colorado Avalanche and Vancouver Canucks.

“They score a lot of goals, and they’re fun to watch, which resembles my style of play,” he said.

Urquhart’s style doesn’t include fighting. He had just 28 penalty minutes this past season.

“I never got in a fight in my life,” he said. “I always say I don’t take penalties because I can’t score from the penalty box.”

Urquhart, who turns 19 this October, is expected to play in Charlottetown next season as the Rocket move to the P.E.I. capital. He broke into the Quebec league in 2000 and scored 25 goals in 60 games as a rookie with the Quebec Remparts.

Talent Analysis

Urquhart is still raw, but the upside is definitely there. The Halifax native enjoys coming down the right wing to create some offense. He usually brings the puck to his backhand, and will follow up with a dangerous pass or impressive move. His stickhandling and skating skills aren't smooth, but they should round out with development, and once they do, Cory will be an even more dangerous offensive threat.

Statiscally, his numbers are down from his rookie season, but before conclusions are made, there are a few things to be considered. First of all, Urquhart plays on a third line with players who aren't necesarily all that skilled. Let's face it, playing with forwards such as Mike Bray and Peter Polcik will do nothing for numbers. The second thing, and most important, is how he has been getting better as the year has been going forward. In the final weeks of the season, he has been picking up on average three points each four games. His line with Danick Jasmin-Riel and Fabien Laniel has been above reproach.

In 2002-03, Urquhart has been rounding out his raw skill. While he still isn't smooth, his game is improving and so is his role. He has pretty much ceased making those plays off the right wing, but he does center the 2nd line and win, on average, every other face-off.

Future

The good news is that Urquhart already has the size and weight, which puts him ahead of a lot of prospects. He will need to develop his skills in hope to go high in the draft, but he should get the icetime to do so. Next season will mark his third in the "Q", and he will be looked upon to play a major role for the Rocket.

- http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=2807