CFL

habsfan88

It'll be between EDM & BC in the West... and MTL & TO in the East.

IMO MTL will be much improved this year over last season.

Improved secondary, upgrade at RB, even the receiving corps will be as good if not better.

This NHL-starved fan just can't wait for CFL action to start... too bad the pre-season games aren't televised.

The grudge match btw CGY's Burris and his old Roughriders should be intense despite it being only pre-season.

Go Ti-Cats!

we are going to own the argos this year just watch! mark my words!!!

Troy davis is the best HB in the whole league, and we lost cheatwood to the texans and we shipped montford away, but every reciever that we have are pretty much all capable of 1000 yards at least!

I dont know how Danny mcmanus will hold up, i think we should try marcus brady a little...Danny can't scramble at all!

<i>too bad the pre-season games aren't televised. </i>

I'm pretty sure the game on the weekend between the Ti-cats and Argos is on TSN. I know it's not the Als, but I'm dying to watch some CFL in this era of no hockey and no expos.

Originally posted by Quebecois

Als lose 27-16. No worries though, sounded like the Als basically played all backups, Calvillo didnt even play at all.

I was there, Calvillo played the first series if I remember correctly, anyways he was announced as the starter... so he must have played that first series. Story of todays game... turnovers! Jeez did the Als fumble alot today. Anyways who cares, its just exhibition...

Edit: Proof... I took this picture tonight...

acjune8th2rz.jpg

[Edited on 2005-6-10 by puck7x]

But to tell you the truth my mind was elsewhere during the game, lol...

june8cheerleaders2em.jpg

Pretty good crowd for an exhibition game... I think it was sold out, I could check... but I'm lazy.

june8crowd3lq.jpg

Edit on yeah, for those in the area... The Als will hold a practice in my town (DDO) this Saturday from 10am-12:30pm . Its at the DDO Civic Centre (the park there) , which is on Salaberry street, between St Johns / Sources (closer to Sources), or you can also get there from Brunswick...

Literally a few minutes from my house... But I probably wont bother going. For one thing its too early in the day for me, I have to work that evening. Also I spent all Friday watching the Als Cheerleaders at the f1 festival, and then the Als vs Ottawa, and Football practices are no where near as exciting to me as hockey practices. If it was the habs I'd be there in two seconds.

[Edited on 2005-6-10 by puck7x]

Confirmed what we already knew... if Calvillo goes down we're dead.

Funniest thing was Popp trying to say he was happy with the QBs in that game.

Boggles my mind how Popp is just unable to grab a decent backup QB when just about every other team in the league has one.

Unacceptable, truly.

Originally posted by Habs77

Boggles my mind how Popp is just unable to grab a decent backup QB when just about every other team in the league has one.

Unacceptable, truly.

I think it has more to do with Matthews then Popp (Popp is just backing up the coach), Matthews likes this kind of QB system. I miss the days of Ham/Calvillo.

I agree though that the Als definitely need a strong #2 ... And with the excess of quality QB's in the CFL at the moment it shouldnt be too hard to acquire one.

Calvillo did play a set in the game, albeit all of 1. Here are the QB stats:

Anthony Calvillo (0/1, 0 yds)

Ted White (12/19, 176 yds, TD, 2 INT)

Ell Roberson (5/13, 47 yds)

Joe Wiser (2/5, 14 yds, 2 INT)

It was a sellout, nice to see the continued support from the Als fans. A note from this game: Cavil, Cahoon, Vaughn, and McDonald combined for a total of...0 receptions. On the rushing end, Lapointe and Jenkins combined for a total of...0 yards on, wait for it, 0 carries. Look for these totals to at least double next game. :D

Ottawa meanwhile, used many of their top players, and that's how they got us in the 2nd half (that and Joe Wiser...who? Gotta love 5th string QB's.) Also glad to see "itty-bitty" get 155 yds on 7 returns.

Next preseason game is next week, versus Ottawa...again.

Originally posted by puck7x

I think it has more to do with Matthews then Popp (Popp is just backing up the coach), Matthews likes this kind of QB system. I miss the days of Ham/Calvillo.

I agree though that the Als definitely need a strong #2 ... And with the excess of quality QB's in the CFL at the moment it shouldnt be too hard to acquire one.

You mentionned the Ham/Calvillo days... well we haven't had a decent backup since Calvillo, and that was way b4 Matthews came into the picture.

So I do indeed blame Popp, he's had forever to find a decent one... and never has.

If other teams were in the same boat then ok, but now EVERY team in the league has a better #2 than us... that's just criminal.

But I do agree that Matthews doesn't help... with a) his insistance that Calvillo play every down in every game no matter the score... and B) his blind loyalty to White, whom he keeps backing even though he has never performed.

Part of Popp's stuggles to land a vet CFL QB to back us up is that they know there is virtually no shot at even mopping up one-sided games... because of Matthews.

And the fact you don't want to play behind an established #1 like Calvillo if you can help it.

Just like Crandell choosing to back up the inconsistent & injury prone Greene in Saskatchewan.

We apparently have one QB that Popp sees as our potential future replacement for Calvillo... he was injured all of last year but still followed the team all season, Robertson or something.

But right now, we could have 1-2 more championships if we just had a good backup... so just get it done already.