Sept. 28, Pittsburgh vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

Once Flieshman is signed, I doubt will be a need to call up McCarron for bottom six duty anytime soon. And he is unlikely to light up the AHL, so I doubt will see him at Belle Centre anytime soon.

Not at all.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Scherbak. Just far too many people got overhyped on his potential and thought he could be ready early like Gallagher and Galchenyuk were.

Scherbak is going to need at least a season in the AHL, possibly two. That's fine.

Getting too overexcited about a young player, to the point of keeping him in the NHL too early is an organizational fault best left to the Leafs....and even they don't do it anymore. If we need an extra forward Fleishman is a much better option at this point. Hopefully, his play will make whether or not to keep Shcerback with the big club a hot debate at next year's training camp.

It takes a while to get out of the mindset (me included) but we no longer have spots open in the NHL for developing players. You either contribute to the team or you go down/elsewhere. If a kid is better than a vet, the veteran needs new work. If the veteran will get us closer to the cup, the youngster needs to learn in a different city.

The window is officially open. We either go for it or we waste it. They don't have to be perfect, just be better than the competition in seven games or less.

I feel the same about McCarron. Eventhough I think he'll see a call up this year

McCarron's more capable of playing the limited role as a call-up than Scherbak so I wouldn't be shocked to see McCarron up at some point. If they need some grit/toughness or size down the middle, those would both play in his favour.

Scherbak had 28g in junior last year (I think they say would be NHL equivalent of 7g), so how many to expect from his rookie AHL year...15?

Somewhere around there seems realistic. Right now, the top line should be the same as last year (Carr-Hudon-Andrighetto) so Scherbak and the other rookies will be 2nd line at best (with 2nd PP time at a max as well). And, of course, he'll be the youngest player on the team.

5 things I think

1) Barbeiro is our third best LHD, he's better than both Emelin and Tinordi. I would try to trade one of Emelin/Tinordi.

2) Fleischmann has made this team and should be signed.

3) On 90% of teams, I'd hate Semin. On this current Habs squad I like him. He can't play a lick of defence, but he can still create offense and score some goals, which is desperately needed, and we were the best defensive club in the NHL.

4) Weise can start on the third line.... I do however see Kassian and Weise switching soon.

5) DLR can't crack the top 9 of this team. At his age, and given the ice time, he should centre a line in Hamilton.

5) DLR can't crack the top 9 of this team. At his age, and given the ice time, he should centre a line in Hamilton.

Getting a centre spot might be a bit challenging. Hudon will be the #1 while McCarron probably slides in as #3 to start. Dumont is 2nd right now and Lefebvre loves him at centre (and we all know how stuck in his ways he can be). As much as it would be nice for de la Rose to get that spot, my hunch is that he wouldn't.

The window is officially open. We either go for it or we waste it. They don't have to be perfect, just be better than the competition in seven games or less.

Probably the smartest, yet simplest thing I have read in a long time. Too much nit-picking and complaining sometimes about a team that has been one of the best teams over the last couple years. No team is perfect and without flaws. I fear the Habs will try to change too much from what has made them successful. Start bringing in guys like Semin to bolster goal scoring, and all the sudden they will not be the best defensive team in the league anymore. It reminds me of when the Canucks were great all of those years but got bullied by the Bruins in the final. They tried to get bigger so it didn't happen again but in the process they lost their identity and what they were good at. Stick with the plan.

Getting a centre spot might be a bit challenging. Hudon will be the #1 while McCarron probably slides in as #3 to start. Dumont is 2nd right now and Lefebvre loves him at centre (and we all know how stuck in his ways he can be). As much as it would be nice for de la Rose to get that spot, my hunch is that he wouldn't.

if JDR goes down to hamilton he's gonna be fighting for 1C with mccarron. hudon will move down to 3C and dumont 4.

hudon can also move to wing...

if JDR goes down to hamilton he's gonna be fighting for 1C with mccarron. hudon will move down to 3C and dumont 4.

So they're going to put their leading returning point getter at #3 C to put a lesser offensively talented one at #1 C? That seems highly unlikely. They're allowed to ease people in, it's not a throw the player to the wolves situation. McCarron wasn't a #1 in junior for a good chunk of last season, there's no need to make him that day 1 in the minors. They had a quality top line in the second half last year and it looks like all three will be back this season so they'll almost assuredly start in that role. Yes, Hudon can move to the wing. So can McCarron, they're both natural wingers converted to centre.

In recent years, prospects have often been placed in a role similar to what they'd be in the NHL. (And I'm not a fan of that to the degree they've done so but alas, that's what they've done.) McCarron looks like a checking C most likely so he'd likely start there and if he progresses, he and Dumont would flip 2 and 3 roles midseason. I don't mind that either, make McCarron earn some time while not putting much pressure at the beginning. As for de la Rose, if he were to be sent down, I wouldn't be shocked if he was on McCarron's wing because he too is viewed as a future checker. That one I would mind a bit more as I'd like to see him used in some scoring situations but I can see Lefebvre thinking about a big and tough checking line and slotting him there.

So they're going to put their leading returning point getter at #3 C to put a lesser offensively talented one at #1 C? That seems highly unlikely. They're allowed to ease people in, it's not a throw the player to the wolves situation. McCarron wasn't a #1 in junior for a good chunk of last season, there's no need to make him that day 1 in the minors. They had a quality top line in the second half last year and it looks like all three will be back this season so they'll almost assuredly start in that role. Yes, Hudon can move to the wing. So can McCarron, they're both natural wingers converted to centre.

In recent years, prospects have often been placed in a role similar to what they'd be in the NHL. (And I'm not a fan of that to the degree they've done so but alas, that's what they've done.) McCarron looks like a checking C most likely so he'd likely start there and if he progresses, he and Dumont would flip 2 and 3 roles midseason. I don't mind that either, make McCarron earn some time while not putting much pressure at the beginning. As for de la Rose, if he were to be sent down, I wouldn't be shocked if he was on McCarron's wing because he too is viewed as a future checker. That one I would mind a bit more as I'd like to see him used in some scoring situations but I can see Lefebvre thinking about a big and tough checking line and slotting him there.

Mike mccarron will be playing a leading role with the ice caps immediately at C. JDR is going to play 19+ which will make him by all accounts with TOI our number 1 I will not be suprised that Hudon moves over in order to stay in the top 6

Bergiven and MT will force sylvain's hand from the get go. Big Mc will not play wing again and JDR 2 way game is light years ahead of hudon

Mike mccarron will be playing a leading role with the ice caps immediately at C. JDR is going to play 19+ which will make him by all accounts with TOI our number 1 I will not be suprised that Hudon moves over in order to stay in the top 6

We'll find out soon enough (the preseason starts Thursday and the regular season on Oct. 10) but I'd be beyond shocked if McCarron was to be the #1 C right off the bat. In three years under this staff, I can't remember a rookie being given big minutes right away. Hudon could move back at some point though my guess that would come when the rookies are more established in their various roles.

Mccarron will not be a number 1c in the ahl. Ill be shocked if he goes over 25 points this year.

I see no way he outscores hudon (unless hudon is injured or called up).

McCarron has never been an offensive player (except for 3 months playing with domi and marner) and likely never will be. It should also be noted that after he was traded... christian dvorak took his place between domi and marner, scored even more points and ended up over 100 on the ohl season.

The guy is never gonna be a scoring forward and thinking he is gonna be the number 1 c even in the ahl as a rookie is setting him up for failure imo

It should be noted.

Barberio was an above average defenceman last year in advanced stats. Now sure tampa was an above average possession team but Even when compared to his teammates he was a positive possession player as his corsi relativd and fenwick relative wer both almost +2%. In terms of scoring chance for relative he was +3.7%.

Emelin on the other hand had horrible possession metrics across the board.. and even on a poor possession team like montreal he was by far the worst regular defenceman. Relative to teamates he was a deep, deep negative.

Add in the 4.1 million cap hit vs 875k cap hit and the choice is obvious. We should dp everything in our power (and granted due to the contract and nmc it may not be possible) to trade emelin.

-we must also keep in mind that very very few athletes return to post-op play and have good seasons let alone great ones. most players are average at best their first season back. year 2 for emelin will be a proper assessment of his play...

-jacob dela Rose is much better and a year younger then hudon as well as mike macarron. the bulldogs/ ice caps have had little to no success because of their horrible Centermen play. yes hudon scored a boat load of points as a rookie on a bad team but expect jdr (if cut) and big Mc's play at centre this season to propel them into the playoffs easily...

also note that ice caps leading goalscorer Carr flanked mccarron all rookie and preseason camp with habs..

***nothing against hudon as he is responsible as well... i just think his size will play a factor in the habs development decisions... and JDR and macarron have gone or are ahead of him in depth

-we must also keep in mind that very very few athletes return to post-op play and have good seasons let alone great ones. most players are average at best their first season back. year 2 for emelin will be a proper assessment of his play...

-jacob dela Rose is much better and a year younger then hudon as well as mike macarron. the bulldogs/ ice caps have had little to no success because of their horrible Centermen play. yes hudon scored a boat load of points as a rookie on a bad team but expect jdr (if cut) and big Mc's play at centre this season to propel them into the playoffs easily...

also note that ice caps leading goalscorer Carr flanked mccarron all rookie and preseason camp with habs..

***nothing against hudon as he is responsible as well... i just think his size will play a factor in the habs development decisions... and JDR and macarron have gone or are ahead of him in depth

- Last year was year 2 for emelin, he was injured late in the lockout shortened season. He played 59 games + 15 playoff games in 2013-14 and 68+12 last year.... this is year 3. I don't buy the excuse... sure I'm willing to give him a pass for the 13-14 season, but not for 14-15.

- Totally disagree on your assessment of the centre play... McCarron will never be a #1 centre... not even at the AHL level. He is what he is, a defensive guy.

As for JDLR, I hope to see him score more, but at this point he hasn't. He was good defensively in Hamilton last year, but Hudon far outscored him on the same team. Neither is an offensive player. On top of that Hudon was not the number 1 centre on the dogs last year, He was the second line centre most of the season.

Size isn't everything... size doesn't mean much when you don't have the hands to go with it and McCarron just doesn't have the offense. Again I'll be surprised to see him score over 25 points on the season.

As for McCarron being ahead of Hudon on the depth chart.... only one of those two players is in St. John's after being cut this preseason, and its not Hudon. I don't expect Hudon to make the Habs, but the fact he will be amongst the last cuts indicates his spot on the depth chart.

I don't understand how you can still be hating on McCarron. The guy took a huge leap forward this year. He has great hands for a big boy

I agree totally. What is the hate for McCarron? He is huge, hits, fights (too much), scores goals, is a presence all over the ice. Like what? he has to play goal too?