Season Opener: Oct. 7, Habs vs Leafs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Ha! Not bad at all. That's definitely how I feel about Ottawa - a pain-in-the-ass cling-on of a franchise, not worthy to wipe the Habs' behinds, that beats us often enough to be aggravating. Kind of like the Hartford Whalers used to be.

The Habs' TRUE rival - and one of the greatest rivalries in all of sports - is Boston. And only the TO hype machine fails to understand this. I don't see the Habs/Leafs as a genuine or authentic rivalry because it has not been sustained by anything that is actually hockey-related since 1967. It is simply a product of a Toronto-driven nostalgic media/fan narrative that likes to play make-believe that their pathetic franchise is somehow equivalent to the infinitely greater, more successful and more relevant Montreal Canadiens. And we Habs fans dread losing to Toronto purely because such losses feed into this delusional hype-machine narrative - the lunatic self-importance of the Toronto-centric vortex - not because the games matter in hockey terms or because there is anything authentic at stake between the two teams.

You can see the artificiality of the rivalry in the way the two teams tend to actually play when they meet. The Leafs are always jacked up, super excited, playing at their absolute best; the Habs' players, while they follow the requisite media script of talking about the rivalry, etc., generally play like it's just another night at the office. Compare the intensity the Habs invariably bring to games against the Bruins. It's no contest.

Well, hopefully the Habs are jacked up tonight. I've read a lot about how the Habs should win this game and I guess they should but I do not expect it to be easy. Hopefully we win 5-1 and begin the new era of not so close games vs the Leafs.

Excited for a new season.

:gohabsgo:

Ha! Not bad at all. That's definitely how I feel about Ottawa - a pain-in-the-ass cling-on of a franchise, not worthy to wipe the Habs' behinds, that beats us often enough to be aggravating. Kind of like the Hartford Whalers used to be.

The Habs' TRUE rival - and one of the greatest rivalries in all of sports - is Boston. And only the TO hype machine fails to understand this. I don't see the Habs/Leafs as a genuine or authentic rivalry because it has not been sustained by anything that is actually hockey-related since 1967. It is simply a product of a Toronto-driven nostalgic media/fan narrative that likes to play make-believe that their pathetic franchise is somehow equivalent to the infinitely greater, more successful and more relevant Montreal Canadiens. And we Habs fans dread losing to Toronto purely because such losses feed into this delusional hype-machine narrative - the lunatic self-importance of the Toronto-centric vortex - not because the games matter in hockey terms or because there is anything authentic at stake between the two teams.

You can see the artificiality of the rivalry in the way the two teams tend to actually play when they meet. The Leafs are always jacked up, super excited, playing at their absolute best; the Habs' players, while they follow the requisite media script of talking about the rivalry, etc., generally play like it's just another night at the office. Compare the intensity the Habs invariably bring to games against the Bruins. It's no contest.

There is a lot of truth in what you say CC.

Toronto is a divisional rival with a lot of history and baggage with Montreal. That's absolutely true. But we have been in the same division for like 15 years now and haven't had a single playoff series. I think if Montreal and Toronto were playing each other in the same frequency as Montreal and Ottawa, we'd care a lot more.

That said, playoff isn't always what creates a rivalry. If that was the case, we'd care when we played Philly in the regular season.

There is no rivalry here. Teams have met once in the play offs in the last last forty five years. A sweep by the Habs no less. ha! Leafs are in their usual spot too , the joke of the league. Habs should, and are expected to win this game hands down. Habs have the big three Price, P.K, Pax ...........loafs cant come close to matching that. Heck they are not even trying to...............cause its rebuild number what? 4,368. :rofl:

GO HABS

DSP had the right idea, but half-assed it. If you're gonna retaliate, don't come in and wrestle a guy...cross-check him to the ice hard or just flat out drop your gloves and mug him...send a damn message.

DSP had the right idea, but half-assed it. If you're gonna retaliate, don't come in and wrestle a guy...cross-check him to the ice hard or just flat out drop your gloves and mug him...send a damn message.

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT ! unfortunately this team does not.

If you're gonna jump in and defend a guy, knowing you're going on the powerplay, you have to make sure you take someone else with you, get at least another roughing call.

otherwise, file it away for later in the game, hopefully with a clean hit.

If you're gonna jump in and defend a guy, knowing you're going on the powerplay, you have to make sure you take someone else with you, get at least another roughing call.

otherwise, file it away for later in the game, hopefully with a clean hit.

Yep but as was stated, SP did not do anything that even bothered a leaf enough to engage....hard to take someone with you when all they did was laugh at ya.