2015-16 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

In an effort to try to do the impossible with the All-Star Game - make it relevant and interesting - the league has switched to a 3-on-3 mini tournament. The four teams will be based on divisions and every team must be represented which means there probably won't be more than two players from any given team. (Hey, that's actually a good thing...)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=788532

In an effort to try to do the impossible with the All-Star Game - make it relevant and interesting - the league has switched to a 3-on-3 mini tournament. The four teams will be based on divisions and every team must be represented which means there probably won't be more than two players from any given team. (Hey, that's actually a good thing...)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=788532

We used to do that with the kids house league during Christmas time for fun.

How original.

But to be fair, short of dropping the all star game and just giving the players a short hoilday ......... you cant do anything with this spectacle that will interest anybody out side of the city that is hosting it.

Last time i tuned into an all star game Gretzky was still playing.

I agree its boring, and I haven't watched in a long time, but the NHL will never drop one of their biggest corporate smoozing, and money generating events of the year. It gets decent ratings (better than regular season hockey) in the US too, so they care.

I agree its boring, and I haven't watched in a long time, but the NHL will never drop one of their biggest corporate smoozing, and money generating events of the year. It gets decent ratings (better than regular season hockey) in the US too, so they care.

True about the ratings.

Why do they watch it ? As Castanza would say "because its on TV"

I hear Dog the Bounty Hunter had good ratings too.

The game itself stinks. Has for years. Why do ya think it gets changed every year, with more and more goofy stuff added around the game then taken away again.

Now its an entire week end of smoozing and bad coverage by TSN groupies. Hey are they doing the school yard picking of teams this year...lol. Or was that another one off?

Great event for sponsors, suits, and groupies though.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/4202/gary-bettman

According to ESPN hockey insider Pierre Lebrun, each NHL team will get a five-day "bye week" next season.

The NHL is throwing the players a bone since they signed off on the new 3-on-3 all-star game format. The bye weeks will take place between January 1st and February 28th. An extended break during the "dog days" of the season can only help keep players healthy during the stretch run.

boff... just don't draft all your players with the same bye week... just like NFL...

Just an unnecessary complication IMO lol.

In my one league, we have minimum goalie games, and that's where I foresee the biggest problem. You'd have to potentially nab a G off waivers and hope he plays... which also means dropping a player that you might not ordinarily drop.

Just an unnecessary complication IMO lol.

In my one league, we have minimum goalie games, and that's where I foresee the biggest problem. You'd have to potentially nab a G off waivers and hope he plays... which also means dropping a player that you might not ordinarily drop.

Just like NFL Fantasy ;)

Louis Leblanc was discussed for a bit on page one of this thread. Here's the update on how his season has gone so far:

In three games, he has zero points and is -6. It was reported that he was part of Slovan's offer (him with two other players and a bit of cash) to trade for Hab prospect Martin Reway out of the Czech league. Obviously that didn't happen as Reway is in the NLA now. Today, he was placed on KHL waivers.

Louis Leblanc was discussed for a bit on page one of this thread. Here's the update on how his season has gone so far:

In three games, he has zero points and is -6. It was reported that he was part of Slovan's offer (him with two other players and a bit of cash) to trade for Hab prospect Martin Reway out of the Czech league. Obviously that didn't happen as Reway is in the NLA now. Today, he was placed on KHL waivers.

He should go back to Harvard and finish his degree.

I wonder if the draft wasn't in Montreal that year if they would have bypassed Louie and taken someone like Kreider. Things could have gone much different, no Price injury in the playoffs for example.

I wonder if the draft wasn't in Montreal that year if they would have bypassed Louie and taken someone like Kreider. Things could have gone much different, no Price injury in the playoffs for example.

As I recall, the consensus opinion was that Leblanc was a legitimate hockey pick.

Except in egregious cases, I don't think it pays too much to wring our hands over any specific pick that doesn't work out. You know, fans say things like, 'why didn't we pick Zetterberg??' when in fact every team passed on him about six times. It's not an exact science...and let's face it, a lot of us thought Leblanc would amount to something when he first came up.

As I recall, the consensus opinion was that Leblanc was a legitimate hockey pick.

Except in egregious cases, I don't think it pays too much to wring our hands over any specific pick that doesn't work out. You know, fans say things like, 'why didn't we pick Zetterberg??' when in fact every team passed on him about six times. It's not an exact science...and let's face it, a lot of us thought Leblanc would amount to something when he first came up.

I agree. As I recall, lot of mock drafts on the Internet had Leblanc around the spot where he was drafted, maybe a little later than his actual spot, but still...

That being said, pretty much all of them had Kreider before Leblanc though.

Possibly, but Leblanc was a likely option for months leading up to that draft. And no Krieder was not a consensus prospect higher ranked. Hind-sight is what it is.

McCarron seems more a political (anti-smurf) pick to me.

I agree. As I recall, lot of mock drafts on the Internet had Leblanc around the spot where he was drafted, maybe a little later than his actual spot, but still...

That being said, pretty much all of them had Kreider before Leblanc though.

For what it's worth, our mock that year had Leblanc 17, Holland 18 (to MTL), and Kreider 19 (which actually is where he was picked). We had Kassian 15th that year as well.

Almost anyone who claims to have wanted Kreider in 2009 is doing so without having seen him play. This was a guy who played Massachusetts High School Hockey in his draft year. Not USHL, not US NTDP, ,not anything that gets any kind of video coverage. They are virtualy impossible to find.

Tinordi was a pick I didn't like neither, not that he wouldn't develop in a huge physical d-man, but that he was long term project (more than a skilled forward would be), lacked offensive skills and was taken again for his wingspan, leadership qualities and toughness of father.

But, those one dimensional type d-men can always be found in 2nd/3rd round.

But still really hope he shines and is a impact physical player in his St Johns conditioning stint, but not holding my breath.