2015-16 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

As for the Prust thing, we saw it here for three years. If the team is losing badly, he'll do something stupid a few times a season. This is just another on the list.

You're right, only difference now is we Habs fans don't care... and since it was that little weasel on the receiving end, it's all good by me. :halm:

I'm happy Prust is off the team. His best days are past him, and Therrien way way way overplayed him.

I don't think Therrien would have been able to play him that much this year anyways had Prust still been around. With the emphasis on speed now - even on the 4th line - Prust would have really struggled to keep up.

Prust got fined for the spear in accordance with precedence from past years (that really needs to change, by the way). I don't think the league will be thrilled with his response: https://twitter.com/BradZiemer/status/673598959034568704

I don't think Therrien would have been able to play him that much this year anyways had Prust still been around. With the emphasis on speed now - even on the 4th line - Prust would have really struggled to keep up.

Prust got fined for the spear in accordance with precedence from past years (that really needs to change, by the way). I don't think the league will be thrilled with his response: https://twitter.com/BradZiemer/status/673598959034568704

Typical Prust. The NHL has got to do more about these kinds of cheap shots. Lucic seemed to get it started. Can we get a retroactive suspension? Lucic 10 games for spearing. Now that would have set a precedent. :)

It feels like a lot of people are seeing Marchand go down like he was shot and having to be cuddled by Rask in his last dying breaths and not knowing that when all of the penalties were figured out, Marchand played a 52 second shift.

I don't care how long a shift Marchand played, spearing a guy in the nuts is wrong. PERIOD. Although the fact that it was Marchand probably mitigated the punishment.

Pascal Dupuis' career is over as he has been shut down due to a medical condition stemming from his blood clots. He won't technically retire (in order to still collect his salary) but will be placed on LTIR for the remainder of this season as well as next year.

I'll give him credit, you can't say he didn't try. He had been yanked from several games early this year but kept trying to come back but I think everyone realizes this is the right call to make.

Pascal Dupuis' career is over as he has been shut down due to a medical condition stemming from his blood clots. He won't technically retire (in order to still collect his salary) but will be placed on LTIR for the remainder of this season as well as next year.

I'll give him credit, you can't say he didn't try. He had been yanked from several games early this year but kept trying to come back but I think everyone realizes this is the right call to make.

That's terrible. I always liked him. He seemed like a good guy. I know someone who was in the lightening system and had to quit because of clots. Can't play on blood thinners.

There's an article on Sportsnet about Dallas owner Tom Gaglardi. While that's not exciting in the least, it was noted in there that Gaglardi had a deal done to buy Atlanta years ago and move them to Hamilton. (That's the first time I heard anyone other than Jim Balsillie associated with Hamilton.) Then Atlanta ownership asked for the right to move the team and Bettman shot it down, keeping the Thrashers in Atlanta...for a couple more years before they wound up in Winnipeg. I wonder what would have happened to the Bulldogs had that happened...

Not Bettman "shot it down"...You mean the majority (or richest) of owners shot it down don't you.

That's how it was phrased in the article. It's a likely scenario that Bettman was approached to take it to the BoG's and he said no; I don't remember hearing anything at the time about there being another person wanting to relocate a team to Hamilton beyond Balsillie and had it got to the BoG meetings, it would have been a huge story.

Pittsburgh fires Mike Johnston, a decision that many expected for a while. Mike Sullivan replaces him. The Penguins also fired one of their assistants which means that Jacques Martin moves back behind the bench as a full-time assistant coach. (He was an advisor or something to that effect when the season started.)

Now it'll be interesting to see if guys like Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel step up their play.

Speaking of Kessel, this is his fourth head coach in 2015. That's a lot of coaches...

Speaking of Kessel, this is his fourth head coach in 2015. That's a lot of coaches...

It has to be all those coaches not being able to properly harness the awesomeness of Phil the thrill. Back checking and effort is for scrubs, leave the goal scoring to him.

Pittsburgh fires Mike Johnston, a decision that many expected for a while. Mike Sullivan replaces him. The Penguins also fired one of their assistants which means that Jacques Martin moves back behind the bench as a full-time assistant coach. (He was an advisor or something to that effect when the season started.)

Now it'll be interesting to see if guys like Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel step up their play.

Boy, and they were calling Ovie a 'coach-killer'...that's some body count Kessel is piling up.

Pens love the top-heavy, star-laden model. Whether it works in a cap system is a whoooole other question.

Boy, and they were calling Ovie a 'coach-killer'...that's some body count Kessel is piling up.

Pens love the top-heavy, star-laden model. Whether it works in a cap system is a whoooole other question.

I have yet to see a coach get fired specifically because a player did not like him and that player was known as a coach killer. Usually the coach just sucks, like Johnston.

I have yet to see a coach get fired specifically because a player did not like him and that player was known as a coach killer. Usually the coach just sucks, like Johnston.

Johnston wrote a really good book with Ryan Walter about hockey systems I've been meaning to pick up. I read some excepts and the writing is good, not just diagrams and drill explanations. My guess is that he had more success teaching basic skills to kids in juniors than a bunch of flailing star players. He might do better with a younger team.

Johnston wrote a really good book with Ryan Walter about hockey systems I've been meaning to pick up. I read some excepts and the writing is good, not just diagrams and drill explanations. My guess is that he had more success teaching basic skills to kids in juniors than a bunch of flailing star players. He might do better with a younger team.

True, I'm probably being mean to him to illustrate a point. The coach killer is an attractive idea that doesn't really exist aside from a few isolated incidents. Most coaches get fired because they lose the team, not just one enigmatic player.

If the coach killer actually existed the way people act like it does, Mario Tremblay would have got fired for keeping Roy in for 9 goals.

I wouldn't use Tremblay as an example. In any other situation Tremblay would have been fired. In our case we were run by a moron, who was also responsible for the Chelios and carboneau trades. Mid you ask me, Corey and Trembaly should never be allowed in the bell centre again.

True, I'm probably being mean to him to illustrate a point. The coach killer is an attractive idea that doesn't really exist aside from a few isolated incidents. Most coaches get fired because they lose the team, not just one enigmatic player.

If the coach killer actually existed the way people act like it does, Mario Tremblay would have got fired for keeping Roy in for 9 goals.

One thing that's definitely true is that some coaches work better with young teams v.s. veterans. I always thought Tortellini was like that (which is one more reason why the Canuckleheads were flaming idiots for hiring him to coach their decrepit veteran-laden team, let alone give him a 5-year contract. But this is what happens when ownership meddles in hockey decisions).

One thing that's definitely true is that some coaches work better with young teams v.s. veterans. I always thought Tortellini was like that (which is one more reason why the Canuckleheads were flaming idiots for hiring him to coach their decrepit veteran-laden team, let alone give him a 5-year contract. But this is what happens when ownership meddles in hockey decisions).

I don't know why any Canadian team would hire him. He's fiercely American, very patriotic. It truly felt like he only went to Vancouver for the money.