Two year extension for Tomas Plekanec

dlbalr

Two years? This is awesome in my opinion. Only adding 1 mill to his current salary and I think he has 3 more 50 point seasons in him, plus being the most reliable players the Habs have had for the last decade.

Happy this isn't a 6 year 5 mill a year deal. This works.

No NTC/NMC either.

This is big. This makes his contract an asset. I can't see trading him unless we're by some horrible disaster out of the playoff picture one of those years, but we could get a fair bit for him.

The New York announcers were talking about how his contract expires at the end of the year just last night.

I'm not the best at contract knowledge but I was thinking numbers like 7 mil being possible on the open market when I gave it a brief thought.

This seems like a good deal to me. Happy to have him and I personally hope he's a lifer.

• Upvote 1

Great deal. One of the most consistent 20 goal scorers in the league throughout his career despite never getting much credit for it, elsewhere or among Habs fans. Most guys who play a similar style are making around $6.8M for what they do. Once Galchenyuk grabs the reins, he'll be fine for the second or third lines in his mid 30s.

• Upvote 1

I'm not the best at contract knowledge but I was thinking numbers like 7 mil being possible on the open market when I gave it a brief thought.

A couple of years ago, $7 M would have been possible. With the cap levelling out though, there aren't going to be as many big money deals unless it's to star players. In other words, Kopitar and Stamkos are going to get massive contracts. That next tier (in which Plekanec would have been included) might find the wallets a little tighter.

Using my entirely unscientific value measuring tool (also known as my head), the AAV here may be a bit overpriced. That opinion might be skewed a tad since I still foresee a regression in Plekanec's numbers relative to last year and any sort of extension this early is likely piggybacking off the 60 point season. However, he's at the age where it's probably better to pay a bit more to avoid getting stuck with a long-term contract while not having an NTC/NMC may also have upped the cost a bit.

Could have probably got him for less if term was longer but I think this is a very safe contract for us. Great signing by the GM. Ya gotta love Zoot suit, he just keeps making good decisions.

Plekanec, Ryder and Halak for Malkin

Kidding, I like the deal. I also like having lifelong Habs on the roster as it builds an identity. Pleks has been a very good player for this team for a long time and deserves being rewarded for that. He's not the sexy stud centerman we all crave but he is great at what he does and is usually underrated among most.

• Upvote 1

My immediate, gut response was that $6 mil is too much. But reading more on the subject, including the posts above - and most importantly, factoring in the absence of a NTC - has persuaded me otherwise. We have no obvious Pleks-replacement in the system (it was supposed to be Eller, but that is sheer comedy at this juncture, and Galchenyuk only takes one top-6 C slot, not two, so Pleks will continue to be indispensable no matter what happens with Galy). Plus, while I do wish he had at least one comprehensively strong playoff on his c.v. - as it is, he's had strong series but has tended to flag, sooner or later, in the playoffs - I retain massive respect for Plekanec's all-around excellence. So, no complaints.

In todays salary cap league, you either pay a high cap hit, or you pay with term... given Plekanec's age and the lack of internal replacement, I'm fine with two years at 6million per which might be a wee bit high, but not bad.

Consider

- Plekanec has outscored Kessler 5 years in a row

- Plekanec is better defensively than Kessler

- Plekanec is more durable than Kessler.

And Kessler got 6.875 million per year for 6 years.

• Upvote 1

In todays salary cap league, you either pay a high cap hit, or you pay with term... given Plekanec's age and the lack of internal replacement, I'm fine with two years at 6million per which might be a wee bit high, but not bad.

Consider

- Plekanec has outscored Kessler 5 years in a row

- Plekanec is better defensively than Kessler

- Plekanec is more durable than Kessler.

And Kessler got 6.875 million per year for 6 years.

Yeah, it's funny how Kessler is viewed as this great stud while Pleks is generally under-rated, at least by fans. It probably reflects an exaggerated preoccupation with size...and maybe the fact that six years ago Kesler had a higher 'ceiling' than Plekanec.

Happy to see it done, so that it's not an issue, Pleks is worth every penny. To me, it's sends a message of commitment to the players, who are committed to the "team", he exemplifies that. It's great team/asset management as well...

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it's funny how Kessler is viewed as this great stud while Pleks is generally under-rated, at least by fans. It probably reflects an exaggerated preoccupation with size...and maybe the fact that six years ago Kesler had a higher 'ceiling' than Plekanec.

Kesler had the one 40-goal year, which can cement a guy's reputation (see Semin). Kesler also has the advantage of being North American, and he plays with more dirt and grit, and is bigger as you mentioned, so for a large segment of hockey people there's no discussion needed at all.

True. Also Kesler has been viewed as a tad over rated since coming off the Sedin line several years ago. Nucks were willing to cut ties with him.........on 010 or 011 they never would have even considered it.

Happy to see it done, so that it's not an issue, Pleks is worth every penny. To me, it's sends a message of commitment to the players, who are committed to the "team", he exemplifies that. It's great team/asset management as well...

I have knocked Pleks for his play offs play never matching his reg seasons play. (as he has been known to do himself) But two year deal, loyalty for hard work and team player. Healthy as a horse. Twenty goals a year and and awesome penalty killer. Good signing.