RIP Jimmy Roberts

parksville habsfan

He was a good two way player, very hard working and a good skater too. His passing is a loss.

On Jeff Marek's podcast he told a brief story about Roberts that was pretty interesting. In Chicago where Roberts worked at one time, coach Joel Quenville called one of his practices "The Jimmy" and it would be a no pucks, all skating practice. He uses it when he senses the team's effort level is low, to drive home a point that they need to work harder.

I'm probably a bit too young, but I've never heard about this guy until this week.

Same goes for Ralph Backstrom, who apparently stands 22nd all-time for points with the Habs.

I'm probably a bit too young, but I've never heard about this guy until this week.

Same goes for Ralph Backstrom, who apparently stands 22nd all-time for points with the Habs.

Every generation guys get forgotten. I had to remind someone the other day that Brett Hull scored 86 goals, 57 of which were even strength goals. He knew who Brett was but thought he was just some average superstar who won Cups with Dallas and Detroit. He also had no clue who Kevin Stevens was. There are a lot of guys from the 90s who have become forgotten despite being great players who put up big points for a few years like Derek King, Michal Pivonka, Craig Janney, Tony Granato, etc. When I tell people how Dave Gagner was the best player to come out of my town and they shrug their shoulders, I have to remind him the guy was a two time 40 goal scorer and once put up 27 points in the playoffs. Heck, today not a lot of people remember stuff like Milan Hejduk leading the league in scoring in 02-03 with 50 goals or just how good Pavol Demitra was (93 points in 78 games in 02-03, 768 points in 847 games) and these are guys that were playing 10 years ago and were superstars 15 years ago.

• Upvote 1

Backstrom best know for being traded to the Kings for their first round pick. In which the Canadiens used to select "The Flower"

Oh I don't know, he was a hell of a hockey player. Played almost 1400 games in whl and nhl, and I think he had about a 1000 pts between them. But I know what you mean.

Oh I don't know, he was a hell of a hockey player. Played almost 1400 games in whl and nhl, and I think he had about a 1000 pts between them. But I know what you mean.

Yes, for sure. Did not mean to diminish his own great career. But I suppose did. ha!

Every generation guys get forgotten. I had to remind someone the other day that Brett Hull scored 86 goals, 57 of which were even strength goals. He knew who Brett was but thought he was just some average superstar who won Cups with Dallas and Detroit. He also had no clue who Kevin Stevens was. There are a lot of guys from the 90s who have become forgotten despite being great players who put up big points for a few years like Derek King, Michal Pivonka, Craig Janney, Tony Granato, etc. When I tell people how Dave Gagner was the best player to come out of my town and they shrug their shoulders, I have to remind him the guy was a two time 40 goal scorer and once put up 27 points in the playoffs. Heck, today not a lot of people remember stuff like Milan Hejduk leading the league in scoring in 02-03 with 50 goals or just how good Pavol Demitra was (93 points in 78 games in 02-03, 768 points in 847 games) and these are guys that were playing 10 years ago and were superstars 15 years ago.

Great names and stats.

Doug Wilson ex dman of the Hawks and and now gm of the kings scored 39 goals one season.

Pierre Larouche scored 50+ goals with three different clubs and was just a few of shy of doing it on a fourth club if I'm correct.

Remember Denis Maruk.