November 3, Ottawa vs Montreal, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Shootout is popular with new fans, unpopular with traditional fans. Traditional fans are loud, but that doesn't mean they spend the most money.

Also traditional fans will continue to spend, whilst complaining.

New fans wouldn't spend unless attracted by things like the shootout (amongst the others).

Like it or not, catering to new fans is what the league does... these are businessmen.

Don't forget the Cheerleaders!... and when are they coming to the Belle Centre? Need more big breasted women in skimpy uniforms prancing around! (Put a nice big fat Hooters logo on Hab Jerseys!)

good post Don-I suffered thru the gimmick last season as a Hamilton Bulldog STH with that 7 minute hybrid OT. It was 4 minutes of 4 on 4 and then 3 minutes of 3 on 3. It just turned into a break away contest. Might have liked it better had Hamilton won some of them.

I just feel the final standings are way too skewed with bonus points. I attended AHL games regularly for 16 years and in the early days, when the team was struggling, a tie was almost a moral victory. And fans of both teams went home happy. Some exciting games were late period comebacks to earn a tie.

Don't know if you saw a previous post I made re an ECHL game I attended in Brampton this year where the referee called a penalty with .5 seconds left in the third. Totally absurd that it ends up 4 skaters to 3 in the OT

Don't forget the Cheerleaders!... and when are they coming to the Bell Centre? Need more big breasted women in skimpy uniforms prancing around!

I would not object to this. Not even a little bit. Heck, for what it costs at the Bell Center, my beer probably should be delivered to me at my seat by a smoking hot Hooters type girl.

(For what they cost at the Bell Center 'bars', my Caesar should probably come with a mini toastee hot dog on a stick in it as a garnish too)

• Upvote 1

Don't forget the Cheerleaders!... and when are they coming to the Belle Centre? Need more big breasted women in skimpy uniforms prancing around! (Put a nice big fat Hooters logo on Hab Jerseys!)

ahh Don you're just teasing us now. I love big breasted ladies. :nuts:

• Upvote 1

New fans wouldn't spend unless attracted by things like the shootout (amongst the others).

Like it or not, catering to new fans is what the league does... these are businessmen.

Like it or not , we still know a lousy gimmick when we see one.

Been to countless play off games in Montreal. Stanley Cup finals. Too many games to count in Toronto and Buffalo. Been to the Joe many times. Stopped going 15 years ago. Went to one leafs hab game a few years ago because a leaf fan buddy bought me tickets for christmas and he was pumped to attend. Now I didn't stop going because of the shoot outs, (and dare to say nobody started going because of the shoot outs) Me and a lot of my buddies stopped going because there are far too many yawners, prices are laughable for a pair of seats, big screen tv's, center ice package where I can watch 12 games at a time. All from my living room for pocket change. Been told lots of fans use the shoot out to exit the building quicker.

When are they bringing back the blue fox track on the puck? !! LOL In keeping with "catering to new fans"

I'd say the standings are skewed because of loser point.

good post Don-I suffered thru the gimmick last season as a Hamilton Bulldog STH with that 7 minute hybrid OT. It was 4 minutes of 4 on 4 and then 3 minutes of 3 on 3. It just turned into a break away contest. Might have liked it better had Hamilton won some of them.

I just feel the final standings are way too skewed with bonus points. I attended AHL games regularly for 16 years and in the early days, when the team was struggling, a tie was almost a moral victory. And fans of both teams went home happy. Some exciting games were late period comebacks to earn a tie.

Don't know if you saw a previous post I made re an ECHL game I attended in Brampton this year where the referee called a penalty with .5 seconds left in the third. Totally absurd that it ends up 4 skaters to 3 in the OT

Been to countless play off games in Montreal. Stanley Cup finals. Too many games to count in Toronto and Buffalo. Been to the Joe many times. Stopped going 15 years ago. Went to one leafs hab game a few years ago because a leaf fan buddy bought me tickets for christmas and he was pumped to attend. Now I didn't stop going because of the shoot outs, (and dare to say nobody started going because of the shoot outs) Me and a lot of my buddies stopped going because there are far too many yawners, prices are laughable for a pair of seats, big screen tv's, center ice package where I can watch 12 games at a time. All from my living room for pocket change. Been told lots of fans use the shoot out to exit the building quicker.

When are they bringing back the blue fox track on the puck? !! LOL In keeping with "catering to new fans"

And those stadiums are still sold out, so they don't care.....

And those stadiums are still sold out, so they don't care.....

"traditional fans will continue to spend while complaining"

I was only saying this traditional fan does not. Just speaking for me.

I'll let you continue to speak for "they" :halm:

Still don't change the fact the shoot out and three on three is "not hockey" .............. just ask Buff and Karlsson. :thumbs_up: love the honesty

"traditional fans will continue to spend while complaining"

I was only saying this one does not. Just speaking for me.

I'll let you continue to speak for "they" :halm:

Still don't change the fact the shoot out and three on three .............. just ask Buff and Karlsson.

When the stadiums are sold out, and there are huge waiting lists for season tickets... I'm pretty confident in saying that the owners are more than willing to lose a small number of customers in these markets (customers whose money is replaced by people just waiting to buy those tickets), in order to gain more customers in other markets.

This has been Bettman's MO for twenty years.... don't be surprised by it today.

Weve argued against similar stuff for 20 years... it hasn't made a lick of difference. ....

We can all agree that the gimmicks are bullshit, but arguing for them to be changed is futile.

I love 3 on 3 and hate shootout, so I am pleased with change and anything to lessen amount of shootouts (which I think almost got to 30% of games last year, or some stupid %).

I love 3 on 3 and hate shootout, so I am pleased with change and anything to lessen amount of shootouts (which I think almost got to 30% of games last year, or some stupid %).

three on three is better than the shoot out

four on four is better than the shoot out

2 on 2 is better than the shoot out

a tie is better than the shoot out

a cold hot dog with mustard is better than the shoot out

it aint hard to beat "a shoot out" in hockey

When the stadiums are sold out, and there are huge waiting lists for season tickets... I'm pretty confident in saying that the owners are more than willing to lose a small number of customers in these markets (customers whose money is replaced by people just waiting to buy those tickets), in order to gain more customers in other markets.

This has been Bettman's MO for twenty years.... don't be surprised by it today.

Weve argued against similar stuff for 20 years... it hasn't made a lick of difference. ....

We can all agree that the gimmicks are bullshit, but arguing for them to be changed is futile.

No argument here........knowing something stinks and commenting on it is not "arguing".

But you make a great case for why the league has no fear of implementing gimmicks...............

BTW....... Last time I checked they are trying to GET RID of or at least cut down on the shoot out. 10 years from now instead of the goofy shoot out may be it's the goofy three on three that everyone (including the league suits) get sick of. This is the NHL after all.

Matter of fact I predict that three on three format that is already getting panned (by fans and players) will be altered or scrapped in the not too distant future.

three on three is better than the shoot out

four on four is better than the shoot out

2 on 2 is better than the shoot out

a tie is better than the shoot out

a cold hot dog with mustard is better than the shoot out

it aint hard to beat "a shoot out" in hockey

Well said

Why? Baseball doesn't reward a team for making it into extra innings. Either does football.

Might as well turn hockey into a four period game then.

What if OT or shootout winner got 2pts and loser gets zero (Farber noted it and got me thinking)? Seems a bit more appealing.

Nah. Tied after 60 means nothing? 5 minutes and a shoot out means everything?

I have heard 3 pts for a regulation win. 2 points for ot or shoot out win. 1 point for shoot out loss. That would be better than the current system.

Best one. If its still tied after 5 or 7 minutes of 4 on 4 ot............it's a tie.

Ties are like kissing your sister, not very satisfying. 2 points for winner however they get it done o points for loser however they lose. That is hockey. No need for loser points at all.