Fantasy Hockey Discussion

lazy26

Unrelated to the HW league, but I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question. I've had horrible luck picking my starters this year, which 2 should I start tonight: Allen (@ NYR), Biship (vs CGY) or Holtby (@ PHI)?

Points only for wins and shutouts.

Unrelated to the HW league, but I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question. I've had horrible luck picking my starters this year, which 2 should I start tonight: Allen (@ NYR), Biship (vs CGY) or Holtby (@ PHI)?

Points only for wins and shutouts.

You're not the only one who has hard luck with goalies. Between my two leagues, my goalies have four shutouts...all were on my bench those nights.

Holtby vs Philly is a no-brainer. Mason's starting for the Flyers and he has missed the last four or five games so there's rust there.

I'd pick Bishop as the second goalie. (Though I've been wrong about him many times already this year.) Calgary just isn't playing well so despite Tampa's struggles, I think they get a win. Allen's playing really well but on the road vs a very good Rangers team, I'd stay away.

On a side note, why don't we have a separate thread for general fantasy hockey discussion/questions? We probably should...

You're not the only one who has hard luck with goalies. Between my two leagues, my goalies have four shutouts...all were on my bench those nights.

Holtby vs Philly is a no-brainer. Mason's starting for the Flyers and he has missed the last four or five games so there's rust there.

I'd pick Bishop as the second goalie. (Though I've been wrong about him many times already this year.) Calgary just isn't playing well so despite Tampa's struggles, I think they get a win. Allen's playing really well but on the road vs a very good Rangers team, I'd stay away.

On a side note, why don't we have a separate thread for general fantasy hockey discussion/questions? We probably should...

I agree with everything that you said, but I'm reluctant to sit Allen since I had him on the bench for a SO. But Bishop is due for a win and Holtby should be good for the W.

Still... I hate these decisions.

Just thought I'd start a topic for general fantasy hockey discussion. Might be helpful to bounce ideas off the HW community!

I agree with everything that you said, but I'm reluctant to sit Allen since I had him on the bench for a SO. But Bishop is due for a win and Holtby should be good for the W.

Still... I hate these decisions.

I'm hoping you didn't put Allen in since he didn't last the first period...

I'm hoping you didn't put Allen in since he didn't last the first period...

I went with your advice, and am so happy that I did. Thanks, Brian!

• 2 months later...

One of my pools has 21 roster spots (+3 for IR'ed players). I now have eight guys out with injury. I've been playing fantasy hockey for over a decade now, never have I had this many guys out at the same time.

That's brutal. I thought I had it bad with 6 in my one pool right now.

Different league - I had 4 goalies to pick from tonight:

Anderson (OTT) vs NJ
Markstrom (VAN) vs BOS

Bishop (TB) vs CHI

Hellebuyck (WPG) vs NSH

Naturally, I look at New Jersey and think, there's a low scoring team. I'll take Anderson. Yep, that worked out wonderfully, a GAA over 17 for the game...

Different league - I had 4 goalies to pick from tonight:

Anderson (OTT) vs NJ

Markstrom (VAN) vs BOS

Bishop (TB) vs CHI

Hellebuyck (WPG) vs NSH

Naturally, I look at New Jersey and think, there's a low scoring team. I'll take Anderson. Yep, that worked out wonderfully, a GAA over 17 for the game...

Hahaha, that's something I would have done!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go with Dubnyk. The Isles are starting J-F Berube, not Halak so that's a bit of a bonus for the Wild.

Yeh, Dubynk was the no-brainer, and I'm leaning towards Hellebuyck as my other G

I have Eddie Lack and Martin Jones as my goalies. Just before the break, I knew Lack was starting against the Hawks and there was no confirmation as to whether Jones was starting against the Avs when I checked in the afternoon. I put in Lack fully intending to put Jones in later in the evening if he was announced as starter. I forgot and Jones gave up only one goal in a win. Shockingly, my forgetfulness helped me, as Lack shut out the Hawks. That's fantasy sports!

• 1 month later...

First week of head-to-head playoffs and these players from my fantasy roster aren't playing: Price, Subban, Malkin, Seguin, Landeskog, Vatanen and Gallagher. I recently dropped Cammalleri and Lehner due to injury. And I just got O'Reilly, Hossa and H. Sedin back from injury. I can't think of ever having worse luck with a fantasy team.

• 5 weeks later...

So. Im drafting 3rd overall in my upcoming dynasty draft.

Where do you draft Thatcher Demko? Is he top 3 material or are there other prospects that merit being selected before him...

Thanks

So. Im drafting 3rd overall in my upcoming dynasty draft.

Where do you draft Thatcher Demko? Is he top 3 material or are there other prospects that merit being selected before him...

Thanks

Who are some of the other prospects available? Generally speaking, I wouldn't take a goalie 3rd overall in any league but without knowing the depth of who all is out there and already taken, it's hard to say here. What other goalies do you have?

Who are some of the other prospects available? Generally speaking, I wouldn't take a goalie 3rd overall in any league but without knowing the depth of who all is out there and already taken, it's hard to say here. What other goalies do you have?

Well FA goalies are mega thin. Im okay with Varly, Bob & Pavelec.

I dropped Grigorenko Andrighetto & Hiller as my manditory 3 UFA drops. That's how this the league is.

Whoever is in yahoo! system come draft next year. Im considering trading it, We have offseason proboards. But think Demko could be a major chip in this league. Kind of the best goalie not in the nhl right now.

16 teams league.

Those three drops aren't anything special. Grigorenko looks like a bust, Andrighetto's a 'fringey' top six guy at best and Hiller may be hard pressed to get an NHL contract in the summer. Bobrovsky/Varlamov give you two fairly young legitimate starters (both are 27) so I really wouldn't look at Demko; you should be safe for a few years with those two alone. Yes, Demko is probably the best goalie not in the NHL right now. So was Jonas Gustavsson a few years back though. Demko looks like a future #1 (although it is Vancouver and recent history suggests they'll screw that up somehow). I'm not sure he's that elite of a goalie to pass up on some higher level offensive talent.

If you had Grigorenko and Andrighetto until now, I'd be inclined to look at shoring up your talent up front first as it seems from afar that that's a bigger weakness for you.

Well, since you're on a roll, Brian... One of my leagues is a quasi-keeper, and I have to choose between Landeskog and Panarin. It's a head to head league, and the skater categories are G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHG, HITS, BLKS, SOG, PIM & GWG. Landeskog's impact is more evenly distributed, but I think Panarin has a higher ceiling if he isn't a one-year wonder.

Thought anyone?

How many other keepers do you have; of those, how many are of the evener distribution variety? If you have some higher offence but more finesse players, I'd go with Landeskog. If your other keepers are more balanced though, then I'd lean towards Panarin. But that said, I'm the type of fantasy GM who likes to try to compete in most categories instead of trying to load up on winning 5 or 6 each week. If you lean towards the latter, then I'd be more inclined to go with Panarin.

I have Panarin in my keeper league and he's one of four skaters I could justify keeping (out of two, the others being MacKinnon, Wheeler, and Eichel). I'm more or less wrestling with the same idea - is Panarin going to be a one hit wonder or is he legitimately a 75-80 point player? Not an easy call to make.

How many other keepers do you have; of those, how many are of the evener distribution variety? If you have some higher offence but more finesse players, I'd go with Landeskog. If your other keepers are more balanced though, then I'd lean towards Panarin. But that said, I'm the type of fantasy GM who likes to try to compete in most categories instead of trying to load up on winning 5 or 6 each week. If you lean towards the latter, then I'd be more inclined to go with Panarin.

I have Panarin in my keeper league and he's one of four skaters I could justify keeping (out of two, the others being MacKinnon, Wheeler, and Eichel). I'm more or less wrestling with the same idea - is Panarin going to be a one hit wonder or is he legitimately a 75-80 point player? Not an easy call to make.

When healthy, Malkin and Seguin are multi-cat threats, with P Kane obviously contributing heavily on the offense. I'd gladly sacrifice hits and blocked shots every week if it meant winning the majority of the categories.