Kassian reinstated, placed on waivers (clears)

dlbalr

Word on the street is that he's likely to get claimed. I'm assuming the Habs brass aren't too worried about that possibility. Thoughts?

It would be a bit of a risky claim as he hasn't played a regular season game in nine months. I wouldn't be shocked if the Habs were trying to use that to their benefit by waiving him right now if they do indeed still have plans for him. Obviously, they're not all that concerned if they were to lose him though.

It's weird, the 5th round pick they got with Kassian for Prust may turn out to be the most valuable asset in the trade...for either side.

There's a chance he'll get claimed, I should think. Big guys with skill seem to get endless chances.

I hope he doesn't though. While I have very little faith that he will amount to anything, I'd at least like to see the experiment get a try.

Nobody (that's a smart GM) is going to claim a post-rehab, out of shape hockey player making more than $1M when Vancouver had to bundle him with a draft pick just to get Prust.

He can't do conditioning waivers and he has to get some games in him. Playing him would be a disaster. Sitting him in the press box would be even worse.

I don't believe in a single website saying he will be claimed. I would be seriously shocked. Once he plays 20+ games in the AHL I could see him being called up or a team asking about him but that's it.

Guest Stogey24

Damn man, I still wanted to see Kassian in a Habs uniform.

I thought this team was trying to get bigger, but we're once again the smallest team in the league. It's all good now, but the grind of the playoffs isn't so friendly...

I think it just makes sense to try to get Kassian through waivers when his value is potentially at its lowest. Hopefully he excels in the AHL and becomes a decent call-up option, if he's not claimed.

I think it just makes sense to try to get Kassian through waivers when his value is potentially at its lowest. Hopefully he excels in the AHL and becomes a decent call-up option, if he's not claimed.

I am still hoping you're right. Sober and inspired this guy could help the Habs...

I think the fact is that he is out of shape and needs far more time in the AHL than a two-week conditioning stint. The Habs (and everyone else) know this and thats why he was waived.

If a team claims him, they need to keep him on their big club, they won't be able to send him to the AHL without offering him on waivers (and then back to the Habs first), so no one will claim an out of shape player.

I think we see him in Montreal in January.

I think the fact is that he is out of shape and needs far more time in the AHL than a two-week conditioning stint. The Habs (and everyone else) know this and thats why he was waived.

If a team claims him, they need to keep him on their big club, they won't be able to send him to the AHL without offering him on waivers (and then back to the Habs first), so no one will claim an out of shape player.

:thumbs_up:

Great post.

The claiming team would be allowed to send him on a two week conditioning stint as Kassian would be on their 23-man roster. Anything beyond that though would require waivers.

I hope that we see an in-shape, motivated and sober Kassian in Montreal in January.

I hope so too.

I also hope that the world can de-carbonize its economy.

In other words, hope is good, but don't bet on it being realized.

• Upvote 1

Kassian clears. The article on the site (linked in the first post) has been updated. He has already been assigned to St. John's...which is all well and good except for the fact they're off until the 26th after their game tonight (which I'm sure he's not making it in time for).