Kassian Dealt for Scrivens

Lovett's Magnatones

Actually, we were 20th overall in goals scored last season, and 15th overall in even-strength scoring last season. The disastrous PP deflated our overall numbers. And we saw earlier in the year that when the PP produces, this team in fact can score with some facility.

Assuming that a PP quarterbacked by Subban and Markov should at least be middle-of-the-pack rather than outright terrible, this team absolutely does NOT have a bottom-5 offense, pace Chris.

But we're not going to have even a mid-range offence, let alone a good one, if Pleks, Patches, and DD all struggle at the same time, if Subban's shot can't hit the broad side of a barn, and of Markov is playing like an old tractor while Beaulieu is still finding his footing. The players we do have have to play up to their ability. This is, of course, true of any team.

As for Galy, his impact is outsized because he is the only reliable net-presence guy we have.

Price's importance is exaggerated by the fact that we have not received consistent NHL-calibre goaltending during this slump. Otherwise put, the idea that Price covers a multitude of sins is not proven by this losing streak, because NO team can win with AHL goaltending. Hopefully, Scrivens helps Condon to be better and can deliver some good, solid performances himself. That's the plan, obviously.

We were also a downright high scoring team in 2012-13.

So like MOLG said the bottom 5 offence for 5 years is a made up stat, and not one that is actually true.

But in 12-13 had awesome line centred by some Danish kid (even though he still was in 14minute range and 17th on team in PP toi/gm).

(this year #81 is still 14th toi/gm with 14:25 and 14th pp-toi/gm)

Why should he be entitled to anything? He was on thin ice in Vancouver and Bergevin knew this and was likely spelled out quite clearly what is expected from him.

He is no "impact" player, so no big loss at all and will just be interesting if he can even stick with Oilers?

And is kinda good Carr-Andrighetto-Hudon etc are getting a shot with big club and performing quite well, meanwhile we obviously need the vet leaders to produce.

I agree, this clown played five preseason games in the fourth line and scored one goal. How can MT bench N8 for being out partying after games if Kassian gets another chance?

I like the precedent they set with this trade, and I'm happy it happened to a useless punk.

We were also a downright high scoring team in 2012-13.

So like MOLG said the bottom 5 offence for 5 years is a made up stat, and not one that is actually true.

Goals For Per Game

2015-16: Currently 6th

2014-15: 20th

2013-14: 21st

2012-13: 4th

2011-12: 20th

In 09-10 we were 25th, which is the closest we've been to bottom five in the league in the last 10 years. The last time we were bottom five was 99-00, where we were 26th of 28 teams.

Goals For Per Game

2015-16: Currently 6th

2014-15: 20th

2013-14: 21st

2012-13: 4th

2011-12: 20th

In 09-10 we were 25th, which is the closest we've been to bottom five in the league in the last 10 years. The last time we were bottom five was 99-00, where we were 26th of 28 teams.

Right. And that we are currently 6th (despite The Slump) shows, in part, what happens when we add a decent PP to last year's offensive configuration.

Look, when the team struggles, there are always folks that pop out of the floorboards to declare that "this is the real team." (And to be fair, when the team is on a tear, the same thing happens). Why a self-professed fan would want to go around exaggerating the mediocrity of our offence, or in general taking the most pessimistic interpretation possible about the nature of the team, has always puzzled me, though.

“Here in Montreal we have standards,” said Bergevin. “Zack took a decision we didn’t agree with. He paid the consequences.”

As I thought there was never a chance that Kassian was coming back. too bad so sad.

I wonder if a chain smoking Lafleur who crashed his corvette into a telephone pol would have been kept on a MB team.

To me that's a BS comment by MB. If the standards were so high, they would have never traded for the guy they new had substance abuse problems

Here in Montreal we have standards, said Bergevin. Zack took a decision we didnt agree with. He paid the consequences.

As I thought there was never a chance that Kassian was coming back. too bad so sad.

He didn't say were 'high' standards, nor what their standards are and maybe simply following some team rules and his post rehab program were part of it.

Lame comparison to Lafleur also, just a tad different society 40+ yrs ago.

I don't agree with dumping assets because they don't conform to 'high standards' of personal behaviour. The team could really use the RW that Kassian has the potential to be. If he ever does attain that potential, MB will have made a big mistake here. The only way I'd accept the 'behaviour' argument is if Kassian relapsed after leaving rehab.

Now, if Zoot wants to argue that this was a hockey trade - shipping out a dubious asset in return for shoring up a position of short-term weakness - then I've got no complaints. Just don't feed me this Ronald Corey BS about hockey players being saints.

I wonder if a chain smoking Lafleur who crashed his corvette into a telephone pol would have been kept on a MB team.

To me that's a BS comment by MB. If the standards were so high, they would have never traded for the guy they new had substance abuse problems

ok Just to Clarify, it was a Caprice not a Corvette, it was 35 years ago, things were a lot different than today, you were allowed to partay all you wanted if you scored 50 goals a year. And unlike Kassian, Guy was a virtual god in Montreal with the ability to smoke like a chimney and drink like a fish, and still be the best player in the NHL. Just not the same. :)

Lafleur was my favorite player along with Dryden. He was the first player on the ice for practices and he practiced on his own before everyone else, but I've always wondered how much longer he could have been a 50 goal scorer if he took better care of himself. After he got injured in the north stars series and his accident, he was never the same player and called it quites too soon.

One thing that will always stand out to me about lafleur that my damn flames and leaf fans friends never let me forget was him turning his back on a russian's fake windup in the 81 canada cup, which allowed the Russian to walk in and score an easy goal in their romp against canada. I think it was 7-1 or something.

Anyway the point I want to make is that I don't care about the character of a guy off the ice - as long as he wins. Barkley put it best in his I'm not a role model ads. We traded away carbo, chelios and Roy in the 90's, because of this standards crap. Most athletes aren't Beliveau. Hell, lafleur's personal life now is still a mess. If Patrick Kane was playing for the Habs, he would have been moved a long time ago.

ok Just to Clarify, it was a Caprice not a Corvette, it was 35 years ago, things were a lot different than today, you were allowed to partay all you wanted if you scored 50 goals a year. And unlike Kassian, Guy was a virtual god in Montreal with the ability to smoke like a chimney and drink like a fish, and still be the best player in the NHL. Just not the same. :)

29 you make some great points...

Still better to have a set of standards, and stick to them isn't it?

I still think Bergevin is the man...and he will right the ship.

Lafleur was my favorite player along with Dryden. He was the first player on the ice for practices and he practiced on his own before everyone else, but I've always wondered how much longer he could have been a 50 goal scorer if he took better care of himself. After he got injured in the north stars series and his accident, he was never the same player and called it quites too soon.

One thing that will always stand out to me about lafleur that my damn flames and leaf fans friends never let me forget was him turning his back on a russian's fake windup in the 81 canada cup, which allowed the Russian to walk in and score an easy goal in their romp against canada. I think it was 7-1 or something.

Anyway the point I want to make is that I don't care about the character of a guy off the ice - as long as he wins. Barkley put it best in his I'm not a role model ads. We traded away carbo, chelios and Roy in the 90's, because of this standards crap. Most athletes aren't Beliveau. Hell, lafleur's personal life now is still a mess. If Patrick Kane was playing for the Habs, he would have been moved a long time ago.

Uhm,Habs 29 you sort of have a point...BUT you are missing two key points: 1. Production and 2. a track record of production. Lafleur would get a second chance today because he had both and was a multiple Stanley Cup winner. Kane is an elite talent who has won Stanley Cups. Kassian is a young player with potential who played his way out of Buffalo and Vancouver and who partied his way out of Montreal before the season had even started. He has no history with the Habs, no track record, no reserve of good will. You are comparing a never was to the great Lafleur and the exceptionally talented Kane: there is no comparable. This is not the Chelios deal....and Bergevin has done nothing to deserve being compared to that @(*&^%!$#@!!! Corey

• Upvote 1

Saying we have standards here, implies the standards apply to all players. If you make a statement like that and a player say gets caught with cocaine, it shouldn't matter who he is. I'd have a much bigger problem if say Subban and Kassian were both in the NHL substance abuse program and both failed to live up to the requirements and only kassian was shipped out with the BS standards statement. I'd be fine with that, if the GM didn't make the BS blanket standards comment. You are going to give more rope to a star but don't give me this self righteous standards crap. They are athletes, not saints. Say you are moving a guy because he's done dick all. None of this BS self riougtious holy than thou crap.

Uhm,Habs 29 you sort of have a point...BUT you are missing two key points: 1. Production and 2. a track record of production. Lafleur would get a second chance today because he had both and was a multiple Stanley Cup winner. Kane is an elite talent who has won Stanley Cups. Kassian is a young player with potential who played his way out of Buffalo and Vancouver and who partied his way out of Montreal before the season had even started. He has no history with the Habs, no track record, no reserve of good will. You are comparing a never was to the great Lafleur and the exceptionally talented Kane: there is no comparable. This is not the Chelios deal....and Bergevin has done nothing to deserve being compared to that @(*&^%!$#@!!! Corey

I see your point about the standards statement by MB, but it is not uncommon for organizations to refer to standards when firing probationary employees who screwed up royally. I actually think the standard in question is " don't lie to and tell me your problems are under control and then make a public spectacle of your excesses".

In any case, Kassian is history. Happy new year to you and yours.