Pirri - Mackenzie - Shaw

Thornton - Knight - Brickley

Mitchell - Campbell

Ekblad - Kulikov

Petrovic - Gudbranson

Luongo

*Lines are best guesses at this point

Guest Stogey24

Luongo having another good season, hopefully Scrivens can match his play.

Bergevin was saying Waite had a big part in the acquisition of Scrivens. Hopefully he can put up some solid numbers behind Condon

Bergevin was saying Waite had a big part in the acquisition of Scrivens. Hopefully he can put up some solid numbers behind Condon

I always wondered if Dubnyk was acquired through a suggestion by Waite but he never came up to play a game. He played awful for the Bulldogs, went to the Coyotes and found his game again.

Guest Stogey24

I always wondered if Dubnyk was acquired through a suggestion by Waite but he never came up to play a game. He played awful for the Bulldogs, went to the Coyotes and found his game again.

Really makes you wonder what could have been if Dubnyk got the start when Price went down.

I figured it was just an acquisition of convenience more than anything. Price was hurt at the time which left Budaj/Tokarski as the NHL tandem with Robert Mayer as next in line. Considering Nashville ate half the remaining salary (with Edmonton eating half of his full salary), Dubnyk was an insurance policy that could be buried in the minors with no cap penalty that was a better option than Mayer if anyone else got hurt.

I figured it was just an acquisition of convenience more than anything. Price was hurt at the time which left Budaj/Tokarski as the NHL tandem with Robert Mayer as next in line. Considering Nashville ate half the remaining salary (with Edmonton eating half of his full salary), Dubnyk was an insurance policy that could be buried in the minors with no cap penalty that was a better option than Mayer if anyone else got hurt.

Fair enough, but I'd like to give the club a little more credit when it comes to their acquisitions. It's interesting out of all the insurance policies they went with Dubnyk, who in a year turned his career around into becoming a starter again. Would we have seen that return of play if he had been coached by Waite?

Fair enough, but I'd like to give the club a little more credit when it comes to their acquisitions. It's interesting out of all the insurance policies they went with Dubnyk, who in a year turned his career around into becoming a starter again. Would we have seen that return of play if he had been coached by Waite?

Did they go with Dubnyk because they thought he could turn it around or because they literally gave up nothing to get him? The other goalies that were dealt around that time all cost a pick or two, Dubnyk went for future considerations (that weren't met). Or did both of those thoughts come into play?

Given how Dubnyk turned it around (and that Price went down in the playoffs), it would have been interesting to see how he'd have fared with Waite coaching him. But he took himself out of getting that chance when he went home in the first round. (That opened up the spot for Condon to skate with the Black Aces that year.)

Did they go with Dubnyk because they thought he could turn it around or because they literally gave up nothing to get him? The other goalies that were dealt around that time all cost a pick or two, Dubnyk went for future considerations (that weren't met). Or did both of those thoughts come into play?

That's likely close to the truth. I'm sure Bergevin asked Waite what he thought about Dubnyk, but he also did it for insurance/cost. Had he gelled in Hamilton he might have been considered as a signing, but instead he flamed out and luckily had a friend in Arizona.

It's a battle for first place tonight. I don't think anyone would have been thinking this would be the case when the schedule first came out.

Well...not first place. But I've been high on the Panthers for a couple years now. They've got solid goal keeping, adequate defense and a group of young forwards. A nice mix of youngsters who aren't too young (compared with 2012-2014) and the right mix veterans. They're on a six game winning streak without Nick Bjugstad. I wonder if Tallon moves him? I think they can get a great return for him.

A few players you guys might not think of but will make solid impressions:

Erik Gudbranson-Before this year, I laughed at him as a waste of a number three pick. The offense still isn't there, but unlike other years, he's getting his shots through to the net and making good passes out of the defensive zone.

Vincent Trochek-A combination of Gallagher and Marchand, but plays center.

Derek MacKenzie-Imo, the best fourth line center in the league. He wins faceoffs, kills penalties, has speed and size and plays a gritty game.

Brandon Pirri-A one trick pony, but he has a great shot. Hangs out in the faceoff cirlce on power plays like Ovechkin. (Though with measured results)

Assorted Youngsters-Connon Brickley, Logan Shaw, Alex Petrovic. Nice pieces who might turn into players, or at least trade bait.

In the system-Rocco Grimaldi, Lawson Crouse, Mike Matheson, Kyle Rau.

Don't speak the beast's name.

The one who feasts on stunted development of prospects.

Vanquished once, but never fully.

A voice from the bleak whispers "...soon..."

I have to say, these "late" start times are annoying! I'm spoiled by 5 and 5:30 MT starts. Being on the east coast visiting family puts back into perspective how LATE sports are on TV here. Back home, hockey games are perfect excuse for happy hour! At least their Christmas road trip wasn't West Coast, like it usually is.

Anyway, go habs! My son and I will be watching faithfully this evening. He has not been a happy camper this month. "Dad, why is it taking them so long to win game number 21?".

I have to say, these "late" start times are annoying! I'm spoiled by 5 and 5:30 MT starts. Being on the east coast visiting family puts back into perspective how LATE sports are on TV here.

Well, say hello to my annoying start time - 1:30 AM.

Scrivens with a shutout, Pernell with a goal :gohabsgo:

• Upvote 1

I didn't notice that, I was thinking I was probably the only person here high on the Panthers.

I didn't think they had been doing that well until the other day when I saw the headline that Florida moved into 1st with their most recent win (Montreal passed them back last night). Gallant's doing something right out there evidently.