technical contract question

simonus

So, if I understand correctly when the league starts up contracts will not roll over into the new season, which is to say that 2004-05 contracts will not become 2005-06 contracts. Cool, great... it needs to be that way for the new cap system to work.

However, what happens to last year's RFA's? If we are going to pretend that the 2004-05 season occured for contract responsibility purposes, doesnt that mean a guy like ryder, who was not signed when he became RFA, now become UFA? They'll probably fix that in the deal, when and if it comes, but it was a technical point that caught me.

The way it is to my understanding, it has yet to be determined. It was originally thought that contracts would roll over, then it was believed that they wouldn't. Now, everyone is saying that it will be negotiated as part of the CBA.

As for your second question, a player like Ryder will still be restricted, as he will not be at the new UFA age yet. A player like Koivu, who would be restricted come July 1, will likely be unrestricted with the new age, as could Theodore if it's dropped to 28. 2004/05 remaining RFA's that will be 31 by July 1 will automatically become UFA's, but that would be the only automatic.