Jan. 1: Winter Classic, Habs vs Bruins, 1 PM

dlbalr

Maxpac does not make all of his linemates better. Galleghar does. Going to the dirty areas with reckless abondon AND having skill to boat creates chances for his linemates. Gallagar ALWAYS plays that way. When Maxpac is on he is a dangerous threat, when he is off he can be useless - despite bein the not only the more skilled player, but also a hell of a lot bigger than galleghar.

ehhh, not sure I agree here, I love Gally, kid is a gem, we are lucky to have someone like him locked up long term, but he was simply a top forward coming back from a long absence when the team needed a boost. His return was certainly a spark for the team, but I don't think it was a leadership question as much as a general energetic boost to have one of your top players back on the ice.

if the role was reversed, and Pacioretty was coming back from a long lay off, I believe we would have saw the same reaction from the team, for the same reason.

Maxpac does not make all of his linemates better. Galleghar does. Going to the dirty areas with reckless abondon AND having skill to boat creates chances for his linemates. Gallagar ALWAYS plays that way. When Maxpac is on he is a dangerous threat, when he is off he can be useless - despite bein the not only the more skilled player, but also a hell of a lot bigger than galleghar.

ehhh, not sure I agree here, I love Gally, kid is a gem, we are lucky to have someone like him locked up long term, but he was simply a top forward coming back from a long absence when the team needed a boost. His return was certainly a spark for the team, but I don't think it was a leadership question as much as a general energetic boost to have one of your top players back on the ice.

if the role was reversed, and Pacioretty was coming back from a long lay off, I believe we would have saw the same reaction from the team, for the same reason.

I am just so happy that the Ruins did not manage to simultaneously win the Winter Classic and their 3000th game against us Instead they failed in front of their home crowd and failed to jump into the division lead. A great way to start the new year

• Upvote 1

I am just so happy that the Ruins did not manage to simultaneously win the Winter Classic and their 3000th game against us Instead they failed in front of their home crowd and failed to jump into the division lead. A great way to start the new year

I was really dreading this game, especially after Rask finally beat us earlier this year. It was great not just beating them, but beating them so dominantly!

Just love the battle between Chara and Gallagher, if Chara cant intimidate him what needs saying, other than hope all his teammates and Habprospects take note of it.

Just love the battle between Chara and Gallagher, if Chara cant intimidate him what needs saying, other than hope all his teammates and Habprospects take note of it.

He is definitely the straw that stirs the drink for the Canadiens...

Inspirational leader in the dictionary has his picture beside it!

This. I saw Chucky muscle Chara down in the 2nd... who knows if that happens without Gally's influence.

The key to me is that, while MaxPac is not a one-dimensional player - he plays a strong two-way game - offensively he is fairly one-dimensional: it's all about that killer release. His playmaking and physicality are nothing special and he's definitely no net presence. Gallagher, on the other hand, grinds in the corners, stands in front of the net, shoots the puck like crazy and is probably as good a passer as Max, or better. Gally's overall impact is therefore greater, even though MaxPac is absolutely critical to the team's offensive output because he's such a pure scorer.

We can't say Gally should be captain, though. After all, the team picked Pacioretty.

As far as Gally//Chucky vs Chara goes, I don't think Chara is the player he used to be. That's probably a big part of the Prunes' problems over the last couple of years.

I don't think Chara is the player he used to be. That's probably a big part of the Prunes' problems over the last couple of years.

Joyous days!

rom PuckDaddy

This is going to shock you, but until the final five minutes of the game, Zac Rinaldo pulled just one shift as the Bruins tried (and failed) to mount a reasonable comeback.
Then in the final five minutes, he played 1:52.

The reason you put Rinaldo on the ice with that little time to go in a blowout is to do exactly this kind of garbage (punch Mitchell in the head), and the fact that there are no repercussions apparently forthcoming — he wasn't penalized, and you don't get suspended for a gloved punch regardless of situation — tells you plenty about what's still wrong with this league.

Players like Rinaldo can still be used like that, and no one has to answer for it. Pretty gross.

He should be Captain?

Well I dunno Don, he did a lot of damage to us over the years, physically, glad to see his decline...

Yeah the only thing he still needs is a broken ankle then we can be done with him for good.

rom PuckDaddy

This is going to shock you, but until the final five minutes of the game, Zac Rinaldo pulled just one shift as the Bruins tried (and failed) to mount a reasonable comeback.

Then in the final five minutes, he played 1:52.

The reason you put Rinaldo on the ice with that little time to go in a blowout is to do exactly this kind of garbage (punch Mitchell in the head), and the fact that there are no repercussions apparently forthcoming he wasn't penalized, and you don't get suspended for a gloved punch regardless of situation tells you plenty about what's still wrong with this league.

Players like Rinaldo can still be used like that, and no one has to answer for it. Pretty gross.

Garbage hockey indeed. I'll never be for banning fighting, but the older I get, the less patience I have for what Mike Boone calls "asinine, Don Cherry hockey."

Scrums after the whistle are another pet peeve of mine. They do little more than delay the game.

There's reason for concern when you consider Rinaldo's history vs Pittsburgh and Julien's deployment of him.

Guest Stogey24

rom PuckDaddy[/size]This is going to shock you, but until the final five minutes of the game, Zac Rinaldo pulled just one shift as the Bruins tried (and failed) to mount a reasonable comeback.[/size]Then in the final five minutes, he played 1:52.[/size]The reason you put Rinaldo on the ice with that little time to go in a blowout is to do exactly this kind of garbage (punch Mitchell in the head), and the fact that there are no repercussions apparently forthcoming — he wasn't penalized, and you don't get suspended for a gloved punch regardless of situation — tells you plenty about what's still wrong with this league.[/size]Players like Rinaldo can still be used like that, and no one has to answer for it. Pretty gross.[/size]

Just a grease ball move by Julien

However , some on here were basically calling Eller a coward for not dropping his gloves, he "embarrassed" himself it was said. And that juvenile attitude is one of main reasons fighting is still allowed.

Eller did exactly the correct thing to simply hang on and ignore the wound up kid flailing away doing nothing but embarrassing himself.

Guest Stogey24

However , some on here were basically calling Eller a coward for not dropping his gloves, he "embarrassed" himself it was said. And that juvenile attitude is one of main reasons fighting is still allowed.

Eller did exactly the correct thing to simply hang on and ignore the wound up kid flailing away doing nothing but embarrassing himself.

He was getting his face punched. How do you ignore that.

Look how many fights happen that exact same way in the nhl. Eller was mixing it up with a pretty tough guy in a somewhat blow out game. What did he expect to happen?

I wasn't chirping him, but you don't think he was embarrassed after that?

He was getting his face punched. How do you ignore that.

Look how many fights happen that exact same way in the nhl. Eller was mixing it up with a pretty tough guy in a somewhat blow out game. What did he expect to happen?

I wasn't chirping him, but you don't think he was embarrassed after that?

I'd say the guy who plays for the team who lost 5-1 on home ice, in the most hyped game of the season, is the one who should be embarrassed.

I don't get this NHL norm whereby a guy is allowed to whale on another player who doesn't want to fight, and that's 100% OK. It's like the infamous Marchand-Sedin incident - how in the name of Howie Morenz's ghost is punching Sedin repeatedly in the face NOT a penalty? The mentality seem to be that the guy getting punched deserves it because he's a p*ssy. NHL refs are a joke.

I don't get this NHL norm whereby a guy is allowed to whale on another player who doesn't want to fight, and that's 100% OK. It's like the infamous Marchand-Sedin incident - how in the name of Howie Morenz's ghost is punching Sedin repeatedly in the face NOT a penalty? The mentality seem to be that the guy getting punched deserves it because he's a p*ssy. NHL refs are a joke.

Agreed. I might be hard on Eller, but if a guy doesn't want to fight, nobody should have issue with that guy. What if his knuckle was busted? What if he was having breathing issues when in the scuffle and extra exertion could lead to a system failure? There's so much to it aside from bravado and machismo.

Yea!! Drunk with victory.

What an inspirational game from the half pint stubby bottled Irish tenor terror.,

Only fair to say that Boston was missing critical players too to temper that win it looks like our team is largely back.

Great fun and a nice way to spend New Years Day

Good point CC. How do we all sit there and buy it... hmmm..