Drouin leaves his AHL team, suspended indefinitely

Commandant

Even if he's garbage in his own end, he's still more valuable to the overall club than Cedric Paquette. You bench him when he blows his defensive assignments, you don't send him to the AHL and keep him there.

I'd agree he's more valuable than Paquette (or others towards the bottom of their depth chart). But, if you want him to improve defensively and he's unable/unwilling to do so with the big club, don't you have to try something different after a while? In his case, something different means a stint in the minors. To me, that just seems like part of the development process.

IF what we were told is true, the lightning told him he was only going to the minors to get in game shape and would be recalled immediately thereafter.

When he was sent down, yzerman and drouin both told the media it was essentially a conditioning stint.

Then the trade request went public.

Now they are refusing to call him up again.

Lets be honest here... this being sent to the AHL IS NOT about Drouin's development of his defensive game, its a punishment for a kid who had the gall to request a trade.

IF what we were told is true, the lightning told him he was only going to the minors to get in game shape and would be recalled immediately thereafter.

When he was sent down, yzerman and drouin both told the media it was essentially a conditioning stint.

Then the trade request went public.

Now they are refusing to call him up again.

Lets be honest here... this being sent to the AHL IS NOT about Drouin's development of his defensive game, its a punishment for a kid who had the gall to request a trade.

Just to play devil's advocate here, let's say this was just a conditioning stint. Has Drouin's performance (one really good game out of seven) done enough to suggest he's fully ready to go in the NHL? Could they just have thought he's still not where he needs to be?

I agree to a extent that at least part of this seems punitive but I still don't consider a 20 year old getting sent to the minors as an insult as Drouin and Walsh appear to be treating it. Perhaps that's simply because my mindset is that just about everyone should spend some time down there at some point or another.

There's more to hockey than just p/60. There's playing in your own end as well, something that Drouin has been unwilling to do on a consistent basis. If all Tampa cared about from him was point production, he'd have played more, no doubt. But they want him to be a better overall player, hence the lower ice time (to try to use as a motivator) or outright benching in the playoffs. Drouin just doesn't seem to take well to criticism and thinks a little too highly of himself (or his agent has way too much say in this...which is certainly a possibility).

You are a smart guy Brian, but I don't see things the same way as you. Taking time away from a developing player to give it to a 3rd line at best plug is just a recipe for disaster. I will never understand this need for coaches to 'break in' young players. Play the players that are your future, develop them sure, but so many times I've seen players make one mistake and get benched, how is that for development.

As to thinking he doesn't take criticism, I haven't seen any proof of this, except for a player looking out for his career because he dislikes his current org. I wish they would do away with ELC, imagine being stuck in a job you hated, but you couldn't go find a new job for x amount of years.

You are a smart guy Brian, but I don't see things the same way as you. Taking time away from a developing player to give it to a 3rd line at best plug is just a recipe for disaster. I will never understand this need for coaches to 'break in' young players. Play the players that are your future, develop them sure, but so many times I've seen players make one mistake and get benched, how is that for development.

As to thinking he doesn't take criticism, I haven't seen any proof of this, except for a player looking out for his career because he dislikes his current org. I wish they would do away with ELC, imagine being stuck in a job you hated, but you couldn't go find a new job for x amount of years.

There's no room for him in their top-6.

Callahan-Filpulla-Stamkos

Triplets

He was ill suited to play in the bottom six last year, and not good enough for the top 6.

Tampa's minutes last game for forwards

Filppula: 19:12

Callahan: 17:37

Killorn: 16:34

Kucherov: 16:30

Johnson: 16:17

Stamkos: 15:14

Namestikov: 13:57

Brown: 13:37

Palat: 13:13

Paquette: 12:55

Boyle: 10:38

Condra: 10:09

(Not exact lines but clusters)

No room for Drouin?

Development can be done in more than just the NHL though. They're not taking time away from him playing by sending him to the AHL...he's still going to play there. (Except now he's refusing to do that, even.)

There's no one size fits all methodology when it comes to player development. But there is a one size fits most path. I see little reason why Drouin can't stomach the thought of slightly following that path with a short stint in the AHL.

As for dealing with criticism, I don't think this isn't the first issue he has had with Tampa. If memory serves, he had a few comments when he was first cut after being drafted. (And this isn't even the first time he has refused to play - he originally held out from reporting to Halifax for half a season after they drafted him.) Maybe criticism isn't the best word (though demanding a trade after a rookie season since you didn't play enough in your mind suggests to me he doesn't take it well) but there seems to be something between the ears.

As I posted last night, I have no issue if Drouin wants to speak up about his frustration. But there are proper channels to go about doing so, ones that are more than suitable for everyone else to adhere to. Either he did that in record pace or he skipped some along the way to get to where he is today.

By the way, it's good to see you back on here, it's been a while. Hope all is well.

By the way, it's good to see you back on here, it's been a while. Hope all is well.

Thanks man.

I was just a lurker for the last while, just everytime I wanted to say something, someone would say it before me :)

I do love discussions, this is the best place for habs talk.

As aside does anyone else go to other teams blogsites and read what they say about the habs after a loss? Haha....yeah me neither >.>

Since this is kind of a rumour, I'm tempted to put it in the rumour thread but I'd like to try to direct the Drouin discussion here so I'll go with putting it here instead.

Yesterday, Martin Reway posted the following on his Instagram page:

CZTRFZiWwAEj3Aa.jpg

I guess he was asked to clarify what he meant with that and today he posted a response. (It's a pretty big screenshot so I won't embed it directly.)

Basically, he's read that he's may be involved in the offer for Drouin.

Maybe we could just let him pick a team that he would like. Are you kidding me? This is a snotty nosed kid who thinks he is entitled . Don't like it here, try Russia. Walsh doesn't give two shits about the kid, all he is trying to do is bypass the ELC.

Development is different for different coaches and GM's, and sometimes it's not at all about the player's skill, readiness, or mistakes at the NHL level, it's about contracts and salary cap, and signing more important players in their view, so stifle the young guys a bit, some teams don't do that.

I still think he was mishandled from the get go, and if you look more closely at Yzerman's job as GM, then you have to admit he hasn't really been lights out great with his players, and Cooper is an asshole for sure, just listen to him, or look at him for that matter.

This kid has watched McKinnon be developed in the NHL, and he won the scoring title in junior, and he has been kept on the floor for reasons other than his game, there is no doubt. He did produce well with the ice he was given, but nope, coach Cooper wanted to turn a Gretzky into a Skrudland, some excuse there by management.

Does he look bad from this? Sure, but anyone that backs the "good old NHL boys cub" in this, has no right to condemn fighting, or the way things are like stuff Don Cherry eludes to, the code.

This is the same old crock of shit.

We watched Tinordi try to develop under Therrien, when really Emelin's contract was so bad, they couldn't play Tinordi, who doesn't handle the puck any worse than Emelin, shit I don't handle the puck any worse, and Markov hasn't handled it any better for weeks now. Lame development of Tinordi led to failure and that could've been handled differently, with maybe a different result, if not for politics and salary cap. Nobody can say what is best under a blanket rule, for young players, no one develops future super stars in the AHL anymore for crying out loud.

If Lindros had said back in the day, I won't play for Quebec, but I'll play for the Habs, then I would have been the first one calling if I were the Habs GM, and it's the same here.

Only a fool would over pay for this kid, but only a bigger fool wouldn't try to land him...

Development is different for different coaches and GM's, and sometimes it's not at all about the player's skill, readiness, or mistakes at the NHL level, it's about contracts and salary cap, and signing more important players in their view, so stifle the young guys a bit, some teams don't do that.

I still think he was mishandled from the get go, and if you look more closely at Yzerman's job as GM, then you have to admit he hasn't really been lights out great with his players, and Cooper is an asshole for sure, just listen to him, or look at him for that matter.

This kid has watched McKinnon be developed in the NHL, and he won the scoring title in junior, and he has been kept on the floor for reasons other than his game, there is no doubt. He did produce well with the ice he was given, but nope, coach Cooper wanted to turn a Gretzky into a Skrudland, some excuse there by management.

Does he look bad from this? Sure, but anyone that backs the "good old NHL boys cub" in this, has no right to condemn fighting, or the way things are like stuff Don Cherry eludes to, the code.

This is the same old crock of shit.

We watched Tinordi try to develop under Therrien, when really Emelin's contract was so bad, they couldn't play Tinordi, who doesn't handle the puck any worse than Emelin, shit I don't handle the puck any worse, and Markov hasn't handled it any better for weeks now. Lame development of Tinordi led to failure and that could've been handled differently, with maybe a different result, if not for politics and salary cap. Nobody can say what is best under a blanket rule, for young players, no one develops future super stars in the AHL anymore for crying out loud.

If Lindros had said back in the day, I won't play for Quebec, but I'll play for the Habs, then I would have been the first one calling if I were the Habs GM, and it's the same here.

Only a fool would over pay for this kid, but only a bigger fool wouldn't try to land him...

I would agree that Tinordi was abused by the Canadiens. Drouin however is another matter. Stevie Y has a vested interest in making this kid the best he can be (any set back reflects directly on him) Walsh's interest is only to defeat the process, so he can have an avenue to get more money for his clients and himself.

Imagine after his second season Bergevin sent Galchenyuk down to the AHL because he felt his defence wasn't good enough. Would you have been in support of that decision? Or would you recognize that there's far more Galchenyuk could learn up in the NHL and that he's too good of a talent to leave in the minor league?

Imagine after his second season Bergevin sent Galchenyuk down to the AHL because he felt his defence wasn't good enough. Would you have been in support of that decision? Or would you recognize that there's far more Galchenyuk could learn up in the NHL and that he's too good of a talent to leave in the minor league?

I know I'll be in the minority but I remember saying it wouldn't be a bad thing if they gave Galchenyuk a small stint in the minors. My argument at the time was to play him at centre there which would have made it easier for Therrien to consider using him down the middle in the NHL. Consider Therrien still doesn't trust him defensively, it probably wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world to do in hindsight.

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all formula for player development. Too many fans want every hotshot young player to be thrown into the NHL full-time and 'allowed to learn from their mistakes.' Yet Detroit has had great success with the model that lets kids marinade in the minors, really learning all aspects of the game. There is also the psychological aspect of things, which varies from person to person. Sometimes kids need to learn maturity, and it can be better to do that away from all the glam and temptations of the big leagues. Price was very nearly destroyed by being brought up too soon. Ribeiro and Latendresse were arguably permanently damaged by this rushed approach.

It's an art as much as a science, and only the long run proves what worked in any given case.

I would agree that Tinordi was abused by the Canadiens. Drouin however is another matter. Stevie Y has a vested interest in making this kid the best he can be (any set back reflects directly on him) Walsh's interest is only to defeat the process, so he can have an avenue to get more money for his clients and himself.

Tinordi was a shit player who never looked good in the ice time he was given.

Drouin has looked great in the icetime given, and still gets stapled to the bench. Damn right the agent's job is to get involved when his player is producing and the team does nothing with him. Damn right the agent should be involved when the team sends the player to the AHL when Cedric Paquette is getting third line icetime ahead of him.

If everything else was exactly the same and the agent's name was Joe Smith instead of Allan Walsh, i doubt you'd be complaining as vociferously.

Tinordi was a shit player who never looked good in the ice time he was given.

Drouin has looked great in the icetime given, and still gets stapled to the bench. Damn right the agent's job is to get involved when his player is producing and the team does nothing with him. Damn right the agent should be involved when the team sends the player to the AHL when Cedric Paquette is getting third line icetime ahead of him.

If everything else was exactly the same and the agent's name was Joe Smith instead of Allan Walsh, i doubt you'd be complaining as vociferously.

Fair enough (and I agree on Tinordi - so tired of this religious belief that certain players are by definition awesome, whether it be Tin Man or Semin, regardless of their actual performance). But if Drouin's defensive game was shite, most coaches would treat him in a similar fashion. That's how modern coaching rolls, like it or not.