Jan. 25, Montreal vs Columbus, 7 PM

dlbalr

Full NTC in year 1; he can block a trade to 17 teams in each of the other two years.

When does he make his list? He could block the sixteen teems that appear to be making the playoffs+ one more. Would there be any point for the non playoff teams to pursue him? No. This isn't as clear cut as it appears.

Hey Guys:

An AHL goalie is just what the doctor ordered. I boldly predict the resurrection the Canadiens continues tonight. Habs will score 3 or more goals and the BJ's(insert Semin joke here) will score less.

GO HABS GO

Ok, so...my Nostradumbass routine didn't work...how about this: :surrender:

When does he make his list? He could block the sixteen teems that appear to be making the playoffs+ one more. Would there be any point for the non playoff teams to pursue him? No. This isn't as clear cut as it appears.

Usually these lists are submitted at the beginning of the season but there are exceptions. Sometimes they're only required to be submitted at the request of the team, others can modify them throughout the season. Unfortunately, I don't have that information as to which one applies here.

Im not saying all the rookies make next years team. Im saying play them now. Fogure out which ones make next year's team and how many people we need to sign.

Right-o, I misread you there - my bad. Totally agree.

Also here is why I'd trade Markov and keep Pleks

1) You can't have the entire team be young, you need some veterans around.

2) Markov is clearly slowing down. I'm positive he's no longer a top 2 defenceman. I'm not sure he's a top4.

3) Plekanec is younger. He's still our second leading scorer. at the very least he's our #2 centre next year.

4) The summertime shopping must include.... 2 top six capable players, and 1 top four capable left handed dman.

5) Removing plekanec means you have to fill a fourth hole (basically you need to sign an entire second line) in the summer. Thats not a reasonable thing going into free agency.

So with that said.

Gone at the deadline - Markov, Fleischmann, Weise, Gilbert

Guys I would heavily try to trade - Emelin, Eller, DD

Guys I would move... only if I'm filling a large hole for the immediate future - Beaulieu, Plekanec, Petry

Guys I would keep - Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Subban,

2) Markov is clearly slowing down. I'm positive he's no longer a top 2 defenceman. I'm not sure he's a top4.

3) Plekanec is younger. He's still our second leading scorer. at the very least he's our #2 centre next year.

4) The summertime shopping must include.... 2 top six capable players, and 1 top four capable left handed dman.

5) Removing plekanec means you have to fill a fourth hole (basically you need to sign an entire second line) in the summer. Thats not a reasonable thing going into free agency.

So with that said.

Guys I would move... only if I'm filling a large hole for the immediate future - Beaulieu, Plekanec, Petry

Probably too romantic a notion for the business of hockey, but I want Markov to be a Habs player until he no longer wants to be. Even if he's the most expensive 3rd pairing/PP qb d-man in the league, I really hope he retires with an entire career in Montreal.

Ya his speed sucks, but his puck moving is still amazing. Plus he's still putting up points, and only seems to be making major gaffes after he's been pushed onto the ice by Therrien for 20+ minutes.

• Upvote 1

I see this as a lost year. Move out high cost players now, to improve our chances at Matthews or one of the two Finns. No point finishing 18th in the league.

I was a big supporter of Pleks in 2008 after the little girl playoffs. But Pleks has declined and will decline further. Move pleks, emelin, Markov, DD and any other non core (price, subban, maxpac, galchenyik, gallaghar) that brings a decent return.

Picking up veterans is easy in free agency and if last year was any indication, should be cheaper.

We need a true #1 and revamping of the top 6 forwards and to 4 d.

As much as I like Beaulieu, a combination of Pleks and Beaulieu, or pleks and Petry, is the only way we can get elite level talent.

So with that said.

If Markov was a UFA I'd sign him to a cheap contract. No way do we need Markov at close to $6m

Probably too romantic a notion for the business of hockey, but I want Markov to be a Habs player until he no longer wants to be. Even if he's the most expensive 3rd pairing/PP qb d-man in the league, I really hope he retires with an entire career in Montreal.

Ya his speed sucks, but his puck moving is still amazing. Plus he's still putting up points, and only seems to be making major gaffes after he's been pushed onto the ice by Therrien for 20+ minutes.

You already need 2/3rds of a second line. Moving Pleks means you need to build an entire line for next year and get them to produce... from scratch.

Thats hard to do... so basically you're looking at another lost year.

We only have so many years of Price and Max on cheap contracts... so i don't want a 2 or 3 year rebuild. Plek can still play, he fills a key role.

You already need 2/3rds of a second line. Moving Pleks means you need to build an entire line for next year and get them to produce... from scratch.

Thats hard to do... so basically you're looking at another lost year.

We only have so many years of Price and Max on cheap contracts... so i don't want a 2 or 3 year rebuild. Plek can still play, he fills a key role.

You have a plan? I don't want another forking rebuild.

Pleks isn't producing. 2 more goals than me in the last 28 or so.

3rd leading scorer on the team.... 2nd amongst forwards.....

You have a plan? I don't want another forking rebuild.

i put it in this thread earlier

I'm willing to throw away this year.

This year, no more.

Guest Stogey24

You can regroup after a shit year. I'm not against writing this year off either. I just want a different coach if that's the game plan

You can regroup after a shit year. I'm not against writing this year off either. I just want a different coach if that's the game plan

I think Bergevin made it pretty clear that the coach's job is safe til the end of the season.... But only til the end of the season.

Guest Stogey24

Bergevin basically handcuffed himself by saying Therrien's job is safe. This whole buddy buddy thing in Montreal pisses me off. Lacroix should have been fired last year too.

Bergevin basically handcuffed himself by saying Therrien's job is safe. This whole buddy buddy thing in Montreal pisses me off. Lacroix should have been fired last year too.

Yes, Lacroix should have been fired. Even I, among the more patient fans, was emphatic about this.

Firing Therrien would give us some source of hope as fans, but it wouldn't improve the coaching, because the best replacements are only going to be available in the off-season.

MB will make major moves between now and September. Don't worry about that.