My little guy gets to skate at intermission tonight! (Avs)

huzer

This year is my son's 2 year at hockey (just turned 6 in Dec). My goal for him has been to skate at an NHL intermission at some point. So my goal has been realized! He's really excited, and hopes that the stadium announcer interviews him afterward. Ha. He'll be playing mites for the next couple of years, so he should get at least 2 more opportunities to skate at intermission, which is pretty cool in my book. For the various hockey associations, the Avs have pretty steeply discounted tickets, and in decent areas, lower bowl, club, or upper.

Of course, he has eyes on playing in the NHL. He's gone from only playing from Montreal, to asking if it was ok if he was picked to play for any of the 29 teams. When I asked why not 30, he mentioned that he wouldn't play for the "stinky" Bruins.

• Upvote 1

Intermission skate was pretty cool. As a parent, it's a bit odd to just drop them off and let arena personnel take them away! His coach was there, though, so not quite as bad.

Being his first time, he spent a lot of time looking up at the scoreboard until he saw himself up there. After that, he skated pretty hard. He was the youngest on the ice, so he's smaller, but can skate as fast as the bigger kids. We're looking forward to the next one. He got a "mini-Avs" jersey to keep. He was excited to meet the Ice Girls, too. Haha.

He's pretty convinced he's going to be an NHLer. So far, all of his various coaches have commented that he will be a defenseman. He's a strong skater, good backwards skater, and good at transitioning from front to back, back to front. Overall, I'm glad he's having fun. I'm not a coach, but the coach has asked me a few times this year if I could help out on the ice, so it's been really cool to have that interaction with the kids. That said, most of them are better skaters than me. Ha! It's impressive the difference between the first year on the ice, and year two.

• 1 month later...

My kid got called (seriously) to skate again at intermission. Due to a snow storm in Denver, one of the teams couldn't make it in from out of town. We got there early enough for practice, and get a puck flipped to us by Iginia. Pretty cool. We were actually given the tickets to the game as well. It kinda stinks that our second favorite team stinks, too.