Galchenyuk at C v.s. W: what does the evidence say?

That is the thing, just because he is the closest thing to a big young centreman they have, dosent mean he should be forced into the role.

Why not teach Pacioretty to play centre?

Jesus Don, why not teach PK to be a winger then too? Not even going to dignify your response about making Patch a winger other than that.

Galchenyuk was a center, a big talented kid that made the team out of his draft year, what buffoon wouldn't see his role as a center first, and bring him along accordingly, since the team is in a real need for specifically what they drafted? Therrien, that's the buffoon.

Fact is, he would be a center on any other team that doesn't owe a livelihood to David Deharnais, that's why he isn't in a top 6 center role, and every Hab fan knows it...

it's simply the wrong development for not only him, but his team as well.

Given the time with quality wingers(like other C's get on this team), he would out produce any other center on this team, and it really doesn't matter if he is a designated center, so long as he has offensive style line mates.

The list of kids who were centres in junior... started on the wing in the NHL and eventually made their way back to centre is long.

Giroux

Seguin

STamkos

are just three from recent years. There are many others too. So are all these coaches imbeciles?

So if Pacioretty cant play centre and we have seen Galchenyuk struggle at centre, but do just fine as a winger, even on off wing. What is so bad about him being a winger, you are happy as pig in shit to let Pacioretty be a winger, why not do the same with Galchenyuk and quit complaining about which position you want him to play?

Simply because need a big top six one isn't good enough reason is it?

I'm fine with Galchenyuk as a LW if he couldn't play centre. But he's a damn good centre that Therrien kept putting baby cuffs on him and acting like he had zero defensive ability. All analytics said he was great getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

I'm fine with Galchenyuk as a LW if he couldn't play centre. But he's a damn good centre that Therrien kept putting baby cuffs on him and acting like he had zero defensive ability. All analytics said he was great getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

He needs to be put there now, and with real wingers, not Eller and (rotate 4th liner/Semin) here

That said I don't agree that he needed to be put there at 18 or 19.

Yeah, this is his fourth season and he still hasn't got an adequate look as a top-6 C. The remaining months of this lost season are a perfect opportunity for this.

Part of this is Bergevin's fault for not building a roster with enough scoring wingers, and part of this is Therrien's fault for steadfastly prefering Desharnais as an offensive C.

If Therrien had been the coach of the Penguins at the start of Crosbys rookie season instead of the replacement coach mid-December, I am 100% certain he would have started Sidney on the wing.

The list of kids who were centres in junior... started on the wing in the NHL and eventually made their way back to centre is long.

Giroux

Seguin

STamkos

are just three from recent years. There are many others too. So are all these coaches imbeciles?

What about leaving plex between galchenyuk and Gallagher

Putting Eller between patch and andrighetto

And dropping DD back to the 3rd line an less then 15 min a game

I think after 6 years we know what eller is, and a top 6 forward isn't it.

Thats the problem here. We all agree Desharnais can't be top 6

Problem is that we only have 4 guys who can be top 6. The rest are shit.

Quit pickin on poor Larry (he is what he is) and he hasn't ever had top six minutes has he? So how would we know he cant centre 11-27 and do fine, who cares if we win, just don't get blown out of rink every game is what Molson is hoping for now and they basically have 25 practice games left to play so whats to lose?

What about leaving plex between galchenyuk and Gallagher

Putting Eller between patch and andrighetto

And dropping DD back to the 3rd line an less then 15 min a game

That's actually what they're going to do with Desharnais out tomorrow.

As for Galchenyuk's stats at C vs LW, I'm not aware of a spot that breaks that down specifically. There's a site that breaks down ES production by line that you can kind of glean some info from (for some trios he's on the wing, others at centre) but that's about the best I can think of.

2015-16

2014-15

Quit pickin on poor Larry (he is what he is) and he hasn't ever had top six minutes has he? So how would we know he cant centre 11-27 and do fine, who cares if we win, just don't get blown out of rink every game is what Molson is hoping for now and they basically have 25 practice games left to play so whats to lose?

He played 40 games with Chucky this year, one of our legit top 6 pieces and was on the same sub 30 point pace he was in every other non-lockout season.

Why should the Habs experiment and F up the ONLY bright spot in lineup chemistry recently? The Lars Eller experiment is over!

RE: your suggestion; if Eller flops playing with Chucky and Gally, his trade deadline value could depreciate even further then they're REALLY up shit creek without a paddle.

Guest Stogey24

Why should the Habs experiment and F up the ONLY bright spot in lineup chemistry recently? The Lars Eller experiment is over!

RE: your suggestion; if Eller flops playing with Chucky and Gally, his trade deadline value could depreciate even further then they're REALLY up shit creek without a paddle.

That would have zero affect on his trade value.

Giroux

Seguin

STamkos

Well, those were centers, then wingers, now back at center, you proved what I meant. Stamkos is not at center now, so yeah, Cooper is an imbecile.

Therrien is an imbecile for not trying to develop Chucky as a center on this particular team, that's what I'm saying, and you are arguing what exactly?

For the sake of arguing I'm guessing...

You also said he was 7 pts in 3 games, but then a disappointing 3 points in 7 games, that's still a ppg. Geez... Pleks and DD went half a season picking up 7 pts each in 40 games, and you are saying they are better centers?

OK then...no, alrighty then. :thumbs_up:

Ben, Lars is 217th in icetime/gm among forwards, you think that is top six minutes?

Yes he was on Galchenyuk's wing, but still never played a lot.

I see he is going centre Pacioretty-Andrighetto, nice!

Guest Stogey24

"Galchenyuk is 17th in the entire league as a centre in points per 60. Despite being tops on the team at centre in points per 60, Galchenyuk was used third-most among centres, and many games has had the fourth-lowest total among forwards in ice time".

But of course that doesn't mean le genius is an imbecile.

"Galchenyuk is 17th in the entire league as a centre in points per 60. Despite being tops on the team at centre in points per 60, Galchenyuk was used third-most among centres, and many games has had the fourth-lowest total among forwards in ice time".

A devastating indictment of Therrien's deployment for sure, especially considering that David frigging Desharnais is the one getting the extra ice-time. I can understand MT giving DD some rope, based on his past performance. But we are long past the point where that ceased to be reasonable.

I don't understand, under these circumstances, why DD wouldn't be the one shifted to wing. He could not possibly do any worse in that slot than he's done at C.

Can we stop pretending that Galchenyuk didn't play about 45 games at centre this year and this move to wing isn't a recent one?

Can we also stop ignoring the fact that the line he is currently on has been our most productive line, perhaps all season?

I'd move him back to centre too, but lets not forget those two big elephants in the room here. Its not like he hasn't played centre this year, and its not like his current line is easy to break up.

As much as we may have embraced the tank, the coaches and players haven't, and they are still going to be reluctant to break up our best line when they are trying to get back in the playoff picture (as unlikely as it is).

Thats the thing with tanking, or with throwing in the towel on the season and saying we are gonna do things for the future (ie force Galchenyuk at C), coaches and players don't think that way. Management can, but you'll never get a player or a coach to buy in on the philosophy of next year until they are mathematically eliminated from this one.

Sven Andrighetto, a guy I've never had much faith in, is showing he deserves top six minutes far more than Eller. Same to Carr. Possibly same to De la Rose, who is finding his game again.

I'd put any of those guys on a line with Chuck before I place the Danish Anchor back up there.

Guest Stogey24

Sven Andrighetto, a guy I've never had much faith in, is showing he deserves top six minutes far more than Eller. Same to Carr. Possibly same to De la Rose, who is finding his game again.

I'd put any of those guys on a line with Chuck before I place the Danish Anchor back up there.

Andrighetto's skating is excellent, he can cut in and then on a dime.