Most disappointing Habs' season?

Most disappointing Habs' season you remember  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which year was most disappointing to you as a fan?

• 2015-16 - Price injury triggers catastrophic collapse
    • 2012-13 - JM/Gauthier regime melts down
    • 2008-09 - Gainey Rebuild 1.0 implodes in franchise Year 100
    • 1995-96 - Patrick Roy is traded, franchise starts downward spiral
    • 1994-5 - '93 Cup-winner misses playoff in strike-shortened season
    • 1991-92 - First overall in December, second half-meltdown, eliminated by Bruins
    • 1987-88 - Strong team sags in playoffs, craps out after Richer injury
    • Other

Roy being traded. I remember thinking "the Habs are going to be F-ed for a LONG time because of this", and boy was I right.

This season would be the runner-up for disappointment; watching a team just fold and quit because their starting goaltender went down the way this group has, and realizing just how sub-par the roster truly is, has been crushing.

1966-67 Lose to Toronto breaking up what should have been 5 in a row, to the friggin Leafs of all things. It doesn't get any worse than that although most of you weren't around I want you to think how that felt. We were the best. Had won two and were up against a much inferior Leaf team. We lost. Try going to school as a kid after that one. No other let down could ever be as bad as losing a final to the Leafs, Glad that is something my kids will never have to live through, or grand kids, or great grand kids, etc.......

losing to the flames in 1989. I didn't think it could get any worse (leaving in Calgary surrounded by flames fans). Boy was I wrong!

1966-67 Lose to Toronto breaking up what should have been 5 in a row, to the friggin Leafs of all things. It doesn't get any worse than that although most of you weren't around I want you to think how that felt. We were the best. Had won two and were up against a much inferior Leaf team. We lost. Try going to school as a kid after that one. No other let down could ever be as bad as losing a final to the Leafs, Glad that is something my kids will never have to live through, or grand kids, or great grand kids, etc.......

You and I may be the only guys here who remember that. I am still pissed off

What's the most disappointing Habs' year you remember? I say 2008-09 by a long shot. So much hope in the Gainey rebuild, so rudely shattered.

I'm with you.

2006-2007, missing the playoffs due to a loss against the Leafs. Let's just say I did things I shouldn't have.

hahahahaha I got heavy drunk that night. One of the best games from Michael Ryder though...

I figured the Roy year would get a lot of votes - but how many of those votes are based on a retroactive assessment, rather than an accurate memory of the disappointment we actually suffered at the time? I was shocked they traded Roy, but was willing to trust all the 'experts' who said Thibault was a terrific young goalie; and the team did reasonably well that year even after the trade. I recall most fans being reasonably optimistic after we bowed out of the playoffs.

1989! A disappointing ending, for sure. But a team that gets to Game 6 of the Finals can only be a 'disappointment' compared to the great dynasty years...

What makes 2008-09 the all-time soul-crusher for me was that it brought a crashing end to all the hope I'd invested in the Gainey rebuild, which was supposed to be out journey back to the light after all those years of darkness. Higgins was supposed to be a future captain and maybe a star; Komisarek, an elite shut-down defenceman; the Kostityns, a brother duo that was going to light it up; Price, a goaltending prodigy 'destined' to bring us the Cup. The previous season had seen everything going according to plan. Bob had shored up weak areas with Lang and Tanguay. It was all supposed to come together in Year 100 for a great Cup run.

Instead, the team totally melted down, Kovalev played space cadet, all the players left as UFAs, and Bob blew up the core.

Nothing, for me, compares with that, because it was the sudden and irreparable dashing of years of patience and hope. Argh.

95-96, for a very long time after that, bad seasons were expected.

Every bad year since the Gainey-led return to franchise respectability has felt like an outlier rather than the norm. And while those definitely are depressing in the context of "We should be better than we are", I think the season that marks the beginning of a very long-term organizational slump is most disappointing for the Canadiens.

2006-2007, missing the playoffs due to a loss against the Leafs. Let's just say I did things I shouldn't have.

How many remember my post from the Toronto airport after that game? I was not in a good mood

This year gets my vote. The impressive start had me believing that this could be the year, and having to acknowledge that the best course at this point is to tank is a little soul-crushing. And it doesn't end there, as that horrible feeling is compounded by the unknowns of Price's injury; I fear that he could be damaged goods from this point, and that would set our organization back years in its present state.