Distraction Thread - How much will Carey cost us after 17-18?

zumpano21

I agree that Quick is an elite goalie. I've lived in LA for a few years now but I don't have to live here to come to that conclusion that about him. As a coach of an individual sport myself, I can never discount how important the mental game is in sports. Team game or not, it is exactly the mental game that differentiates the best players from the worst. In tennis for example, there are probably 500 people who can hit a ball equally as well as Roger Federer without any pressure. Turn on the pressure and he was mentally stronger than any other player during his prime. It's the single reason he was unbeatable without necessarily having a skill set that couldn't be matched.

It's the situation that Quick makes the save that makes him elite in my opinion. It might be a 5-5 game but it's that defensive breakdown wide open net save that he makes with 3.2 seconds left in the game that makes him elite. He has done it in a consistent basis. It's not a fluke. Put another goalie in that situation and many crumble. His technique is not as fundamentally strong as Price or Lundqvist but he is an elite goalie.

Funny how you state Bickell had 0 goals, but forgot to mention the 5 assists (which are just as valuable as goals).

His Stats are more impressive than Pacioretty's post-season #'s given the circumstances of his role during those cup runs.

Bickell: 32 pts over 60 games played l3 playoffs.

Pacioretty: 18 pts in 32 games played l3 playoffs.

Your mind has been tricked that post-season performers don't exist because of our teams lack of success in the post-season, but they most definitely do exist!

Based on the amount of replies you got; it's pretty safe to say a majority of the forum agrees that Jonathan Quick is worthy of that echelon.

PS: .911 save % but also won every single facing elimination game, that's an intangible that stats don't account for.

Bickell = 0 goals 5 assists in 18 playoff games, and his coach made him a healthy scratch for a number of games including most of the finals... yeah thats not a good playoff, no matter how you spin it. Bryan Bickell did not "step" up in the playoffs.

As for Bickell vs Pacioretty... Pacioretty has played about half as many games and has more than half as many points, his PPG is actually better. But thats besides the point and a small sample size. Ask any GM what player they would want on their team tomorrow... since Bickell makes less money than Pacioretty and actually cleared waivers recently, I think i know the answer.

As for replies, whether people agree or disagree doesn't effect whether Quick belongs in the top 5 goalies in the NHL, just means those people disagree with me.

As for elimination games... Winning games is the function of a team.. not one person.

not sure what to think on bickell...

-he is currently playing his 6th season as a regular...

-5 straight playoff appearances

-4 of those 5 appearances he's been better in the playoffs then reg season. so which story tells the true story. years 1 thru 4 or year 5

2010–11--- 78gm 17g 20a 37pts playoffs 5gm 2g 2a 4pts
2011–12--- 71 9 15 24 playoffs 6 2 0 2
2012–13--- 48 9 14 23 playoffs 23 9 8 17
2013–14--- 59 11 41 52 playoffs 19 7 3 10
2014–15--- 80 14 14 28 playoffs 18 0 5 5
so looking at his whole playoff career he's performed better in 4 of 5 seasons and doubled his rate of scoring in the playoffs each year but LY... (the toughest time to score)... not labelling him clutch or anything of that nature but "stats dont lie"and his playoff stats are better then his regular season stats over 80% of his career thus far...
with that said, obviously his name shouldnt even be mentioned in the same breath as max but comparing him to say dale weise who is still trying to build a playoff reputation.... after strong play the last 2 seasons in montrea would be more ideal.

Bickell makes 4 ml per though, that's a lot especially since the cap probably won't go up much if at all next year.

But yeah, I like him, he has decent skill, and he is a big tough hombre, and maybe he makes himself more room out there in the rough waters of playoff refereeing...

I'm not convinced that there is such a thing as clutch players but if you do believe in it then Price has to be one of the best clutch players around. His performance in elimination games in the playoffs and olympics recently is unparalleled. I definitely think he is worth 10 million a year. Plus I don't know how we are supposed to acquire this mythical 8 million dollar forward except by trading Price.

• 2 weeks later...

He's NOT going to cost us as much as the two idiots running this team IS and will continue to cost us if they are not fired... immediately ..MARC BERGEVIN AND MICHELLE THERRIEN!!!! Bergevin is the absolute worst and stupidest GM in NHL history...bar none and without question...what he's done and NOT done since he became GM is ABSOLUTELY mind blowing on a scale of stupidity never seen at the NHL level....I can not believe he still has a job and is involved with Hockey Canada....It's ONLY because of PRICE and for no other reasons! And well Therrien is self explanatory...we was terrible the first time he was here, was hated in Pittsburgh and canned and that was the end of him...NO other team at any level wanted ANYTHING to do with him.Then along comes the dumbest GM on Earth and all the Frenchies demand a French coach and GM(for whatever reason) and this is what we end up with...a French GM that couldn't GM a Pee Wee team and a coach who for all intents and purposes was completely blacklisted in Pro Hockey the world over. Between these two they've managed to embarrass an organisation with the best goalie in the world by trying to put a Mickey Mouse team in front of him and claiming they were a contender... Guy Carbonneau said today...how can you consider a team to be a playoff contender with 8 OR 9 third and fourth liners on the team....and he's ABSOLUTELY right....combine that with a GM that's got ABSOLUTELY NO idea in the world what he's doing and a coach who's career was over and done years ago and you end up with the disaster and disgrace that ARE the current Montreal Canadiens. If I was Price if the current regime were to stay in place I'd ask to be traded right away or wait till the end of my contact and go to free agency.

Whenever someone brings up the French issue, guaranteed they're a moron. Funny, nobody complains about the Francophone problem when the team is winning.

Well, I wouldn't say that. I've been against it for a long time now - they've won at several different junctures in that span. Anyways, that's for another thread as this is a thread about Price and contract talks, not diatribes against management, coaching, and/or ownership.

Guest Stogey24

^^^Idiotic jeremiad.

Whenever someone brings up the French issue, guaranteed they're a moron. Funny, nobody complains about the Francophone problem when the team is winning.

How is the French issue moronic? The French media just went into an uproar over the fact that there is/was no French players on this team; then suddenly Bergevin trades for 2 French guy. The culture plays a major role with the Habs.

He's NOT going to cost us as much as the two idiots running this team IS and will continue to cost us if they are not fired... immediately ..MARC BERGEVIN AND MICHELLE THERRIEN!!!! Bergevin is the absolute worst and stupidest GM in NHL history...bar none and without question...what he's done and NOT done since he became GM is ABSOLUTELY mind blowing on a scale of stupidity never seen at the NHL level....I can not believe he still has a job and is involved with Hockey Canada....It's ONLY because of PRICE and for no other reasons! And well Therrien is self explanatory...we was terrible the first time he was here, was hated in Pittsburgh and canned and that was the end of him...NO other team at any level wanted ANYTHING to do with him.Then along comes the dumbest GM on Earth and all the Frenchies demand a French coach and GM(for whatever reason) and this is what we end up with...a French GM that couldn't GM a Pee Wee team and a coach who for all intents and purposes was completely blacklisted in Pro Hockey the world over. Between these two they've managed to embarrass an organisation with the best goalie in the world by trying to put a Mickey Mouse team in front of him and claiming they were a contender... Guy Carbonneau said today...how can you consider a team to be a playoff contender with 8 OR 9 third and fourth liners on the team....and he's ABSOLUTELY right....combine that with a GM that's got ABSOLUTELY NO idea in the world what he's doing and a coach who's career was over and done years ago and you end up with the disaster and disgrace that ARE the current Montreal Canadiens. If I was Price if the current regime were to stay in place I'd ask to be traded right away or wait till the end of my contact and go to free agency.

I think you stumbled onto the wrong forum. The idiots forum is down the road on the left.

the one thing i will say about the french debate is that the most successful times has a hab, when we were at our best and winning championships was when they made drafting french players a priority.... recently they stopped drafting french players and opted for french management...

i understand that the lecavalier's and drouins of the world drafted in the top 5 are pipe dreams... but at some point our drafting and coaching strategy has changed and we missed out on players like giroux for david fischer and patrice bergeron for cory urquart? we have always, always had a strong contingent of french Canadian players and there is absolutely no reason why the Q shouldn't be heavily scouted by the habs and we should be drafting these guys in the later rounds. best available coach regardless and lets start drafting some flying frenchmen again!!.... i'm pretty sure the media would not make a single peep if we had 5/7 good impact french canadiens and an extremely competent english coach. if picking up danault and matteau are the start of moving back to this strategy I'm all game...

There has been a huge falloff in the quality of French players available to draft. Even goaltending which was IMO the biggest strength of the Q after Roy came into the league has seen a major dropoff.

How many actual superstar French players are there now at any position? Who was the last great French goalie after luongo? Has there been a true French superstar dman after bourque? Bergeron seems to b about the best French player now.

the one thing i will say about the french debate is that the most successful times has a hab, when we were at our best and winning championships was when they made drafting french players a priority.... recently they stopped drafting french players and opted for french management...

i understand that the lecavalier's and drouins of the world drafted in the top 5 are pipe dreams... but at some point our drafting and coaching strategy has changed and we missed out on players like giroux for david fischer and patrice bergeron for cory urquart? we have always, always had a strong contingent of french Canadian players and there is absolutely no reason why the Q shouldn't be heavily scouted by the habs and we should be drafting these guys in the later rounds. best available coach regardless and lets start drafting some flying frenchmen again!!.... i'm pretty sure the media would not make a single peep if we had 5/7 good impact french canadiens and an extremely competent english coach. if picking up danault and matteau are the start of moving back to this strategy I'm all game...

id take all of giroux bergeron vlasic letang statsny perron demers crawford(obviously not over price) talbot(as a back up) on my team

and thats not including the higher picks we didnt have a chance at like drouin duclair, huberdeau

dont get me wrong i wouldnt want to draft a french player just to draft a french player.... but with teams increasingly looking outside the Q and at imports more often then not rather then french born players, there is definitely opportunity here...

A player's last name has absolutely no bearing on how good a hockey player he is.

Therefore, how many players with French names the Habs have on their roster has absolutely no bearing on how good a team they are.

The end.

And incidentally, Habs29 is quite correct. Quebec has been doing a bad job, in historical terms, of producing high-end talent for years now. Rather than look within, of course, the blatherskites blame the Habs for not (somehow) drafting every single French player who is any good in the NHL.

Of all criticisms of the Habs as an organization, this is the absolute dumbest. No contest.

Don't forget there are also:

- French Canadian players who do not like Montreal as they grew up Nordiques fans (Bergeron)

- French Canadian players who might have grown up Habs fans but admit the environment is bad for them (Latendresse)

- French Canadian players who never wanted to come to Montreal (Lecavalier, St. Louis)

- Anglophone players we draft from the QMJHL that nobody counts (Ryder, Ellis)

Yes, not drafting Anthony Duclair was stupid of Habs scouting. Taking Connor Crisp instead was stupid when we could have had him in a later round. But very few at the time complained in Quebec about it because we took four QMJHL draft picks that year. 2008 was the last time we didn't pick up at least one player from the Q. It just so happened that our drafting in 2012 led us to non-francophones like Martin Reway and Sven Andrighetto when scouting the Q.

So yes, when it comes to drafting in "our backyard", Habs haven't been so hot at it for the past decade with an emphasis on U.S. college scouting. But people don't talk about the guys we drafted that didn't become NHLers. Only the guys we missed that did. We will evaluate in a few years if taking Lukas Vejdemo at 87th overall was a better idea than Nicolas Roy, who was drafted 96th overall.

• 11 months later...

So, how much for Carey ?

I got mocked about a year ago in this thread for entertaining the idea of trading Price for a less expensive G + 5M$ forward, but now...

15 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I'm guessing he signs for five or six years at 7 - 7.2 per season.

much higher than that and it'll be tough to build the team in front of him

Crazy lowball estimate.  He'll definitely become the highest paid goalie in the game, and he's definitely getting 8 years from us if he chooses to stay.

I wouldn't be surprised if Price wants to raise his family out West.  Different culture and lifestyle.  A really good hockey situation might be the only thing that keeps him around - hopefully we can provide that for him.  Then again, it's that much harder to build a team with a huge cap hit in the crease. 

10 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Price will sign for 8x8 = 64 million. Good deal all around as long as he becomes a superstar again.

8 year deal is bad, unless player is in mid 20s and even then it is very risky.

Give me a break. Price will have Bergevin by the nuts and will be able to write whatever ticket he wants. Given his injury history, the contract will likely prove a millstone in the long run, but we'll have zero option but to sign it.