Who we gonna Draft?

habs rule

We did something a little different this year. I sent the results of our mock out to our writers a few days ago and asked them to say who they think the Habs should pick at #9, assuming the top 8 from our mock draft are gone.

Suffice it to say, there's a bit of a difference of opinion: http://www.habsworld.net/2016/06/writers-weigh-in-making-the-9th-pick/

(And you'll note that while I picked Brown for the Habs in our mock, that's not who I think they should take...he's just who I think they will pick.)

You are perceptive, my friend. The MOAR BIGGER philosophy will count for less and less going forward, I believe (although obviously you do need some size).

MOAR? what does it stand for?

We did something a little different this year. I sent the results of our mock out to our writers a few days ago and asked them to say who they think the Habs should pick at #9, assuming the top 8 from our mock draft are gone.

Suffice it to say, there's a bit of a difference of opinion: http://www.habsworld.net/2016/06/writers-weigh-in-making-the-9th-pick/

(And you'll note that while I picked Brown for the Habs in our mock, that's not who I think they should take...he's just who I think they will pick.)

Glad you are not on Brown bandwagon. I bet he will be more like an english Frederick Gauthier than a Rick Nash.

Glad you are not on Brown bandwagon. I bet he will be more like an english Frederick Gauthier than a Rick Nash.

If Brown was the next Rick Nash, I'd be all over trading up to get him let along being happy he was at 9. I don't see a #1 C in him - I think he can be a useful #2 down the road which is still okay (they're going to get a good prospect at this spot regardless of who they take) but I'd rather a smaller top line talent than a bigger second line guy.

• Upvote 1

You are perceptive, my friend. The MOAR BIGGER philosophy will count for less and less going forward, I believe (although obviously you do need some size).

Not so fast. It is true that teams are taking on more and more smaller players. Burns looked pretty damn good. Stronger teams ended up in the end. Bigger teams ended up in the end. There not the same, but you can see they are connected. I am not sure your premise is bearing any fruit yet.

Not so fast. It is true that teams are taking on more and more smaller players. Burns looked pretty damn good. Stronger teams ended up in the end. Bigger teams ended up in the end. There not the same, but you can see they are connected. I am not sure your premise is bearing any fruit yet.

I don't think of the Pens as a huge team. They're built on speed. And they kicked the Sharks' asses.

Remember, I didn't deny that BIG speed and skill will beat small speed and skill. What I'm saying is that I'd prioritize speed and skill. not size.

Remember that Logan Brown is 8 inches taller than Clayton Keller and scouts always love size.

How much more talented must Keller be vs Brown that they are neck and neck in almost every draft ranking?

I don't think of the Pens as a huge team. They're built on speed. And they kicked the Sharks' asses.

Remember, I didn't deny that BIG speed and skill will beat small speed and skill. What I'm saying is that I'd prioritize speed and skill. not size.

You are the only one here that believes, size is still relevant, besides myself. The Pens won because they were strong on the puck . They are not huge, I agree. But they are definitely not small. What I am hearing here is that there are posters here that believe you can bring in a lot of smalls and be successful just on speed and skill. I haven't seen any evidence of such an animal.

You are the only one here that believes, size is still relevant, besides myself. The Pens won because they were strong on the puck . They are not huge, I agree. But they are definitely not small. What I am hearing here is that there are posters here that believe you can bring in a lot of smalls and be successful just on speed and skill. I haven't seen any evidence of such an animal.

You need a mix of both but my preference for Keller over Brown is that the Habs are lacking big time in the top line skill department. With a top-10 pick, I want as much skill as possible coming into the organization.

You need a mix of both but my preference for Keller over Brown is that the Habs are lacking big time in the top line skill department. With a top-10 pick, I want as much skill as possible coming into the organization.

This

I believe the Habs take whichever defenseman falls to them. I agree about the mix. I don't like their current mix -- too many smalls and getting worse by the minute. I don't see anybody at nine showing up on the Canadien's roster any time soon. i guess if they miss out on the defenseman, i would lean toward Brown.

Remember that Logan Brown is 8 inches taller than Clayton Keller and scouts always love size.

How much more talented must Keller be vs Brown that they are neck and neck in almost every draft ranking?

From what I understand, on skill alone, Keller would be ranked in the top 5 if not for his size.

I remember watching it last year on Tsn. I think?

Sportsnet has all draft rights thanks to the TV contract so it won't be TSN doing the draft for a while. Sportsnet had it last year and had pretty much everyone pining for the TSN guys (who will be on the NBCSN broadcast).

Sportsnet will be showing the entire thing on their main network from the looks of things. 7-10 PM EST tomorrow, 10 AM - 1 PM EST on Saturday. In past years, Day 2 was shown on the NHL Network but it no longer exists in Canada.

Is anybody going to the draft this year?

Would be over 4,000km for me to stop by, so no...but maybe next year.

Just too bad Logan Brown seems in the mix this year, all the rest of the usual suspects seem like fine options.