Who we gonna Draft?

habs rule

Bergevin trades down with Philly at 18th Overall to draft Julien Gauthier. They pick up Phillys 48th O/A pick in the process as well as maybe Phillys 188th O/A pick.

Philly selects Logan Brown.

Eww

I hate the idea of trading down.

I don't want more 2nd rounders. I'd rather keep 9 and package 39+45 to get another first rounder.

• Upvote 1

Bergevin trades down with Philly at 18th Overall to draft Julien Gauthier. They pick up Phillys 48th O/A pick in the process as well as maybe Phillys 188th O/A pick.

Philly selects Logan Brown.

Trading down is fine, but aint dropping out of top ten and 9 spots for just 48th pick.

Maybe making some kind of deal with Carolina for their 13th & 21st and pick Jake Bean & Kieffer Bellows (cant see Carolina wanting to trade up but who knows)

But, still think they are just gonna go with the 9th pick.

(maybe try and trade 39, 45 and 2017 2nd for Carolina's 21st pick)

Guest Stogey24

I personally think size is needed on this roster and Keller will probably get over looked because of his, but he definitely has the skill..

"Keller dominated league play this year with 107 points (37 goals, 70 assists) in only 62 games in the USHL. His 70 assists broke Patrick Kanes NTDP record (single season) and he also finished with the most all-time career points (189), breaking Phil Kessels record. As if that wasnt enough, his 107 point season is the second highest of all time, surpassed only by Auston Matthews (117) who is nearly a year older than Keller despite them being part of the same draft class. Suffice it to say, Clayton Keller knows how to put points on the board".

I prefer Keller at 9, the upside is bigger than anybody outside the Top 3.

Cant disagree, but I seem stuck on pulling for Jost or Sergachev (if available), unless Nylander happens to fall. But Brian Burke seems a fan of Nylander and not sure he will make it past Flames with 6th pick.

Here is one stab at Habs picks for the draft (not liking his 1st pick, but who knows maybe will go big again this year?);

http://awinninghabit.com/2016/06/16/montreal-canadiens-7-round-mock-draft-1-0/

(actually wouldn't mind seeing Habs grab OHL d-man of year (Sergachev) and then Q d-man of year in 2nd round (Samuel Girard) or Adam Fox (American clone of Girard))

I personally think size is needed on this roster and Keller will probably get over looked because of his, but he definitely has the skill..

"Keller dominated league play this year with 107 points (37 goals, 70 assists) in only 62 games in the USHL. His 70 assists broke Patrick Kanes NTDP record (single season) and he also finished with the most all-time career points (189), breaking Phil Kessels record. As if that wasnt enough, his 107 point season is the second highest of all time, surpassed only by Auston Matthews (117) who is nearly a year older than Keller despite them being part of the same draft class. Suffice it to say, Clayton Keller knows how to put points on the board".

You don't pass over a player of Keller's talent because of size. Desharnais will be long gone by the time Keller is ready for the NHL, and you trade a guy like Andrighetto or Reway if you are concerned about size of the roster, but you don't pass on talent.

That said i prefer Jost to Keller.

Guest Stogey24

I don't know enough about these guys to say too much, but Jost,Keller, and Sergachev must be high on Bergevin's list.

I don't know enough about these guys to say too much, but Jost,Keller, and Sergachev must be high on Bergevin's list.

Yes, would be nice to get a peek at the Habs draft 'war-room' and scouts ranking.

Galchenyuk, Scherbak, Juulsen were all relatively predictable choices...as long as don't reach again for another jumbo-sized teenager, don't see how Mgmt can screw this up too badly.

On the topic of Keller and size, how much do players generally grow after the draft? If Keller grew even 1 inch and put on 20 pounds he would be 5'11 190 lbs, that's pretty much Patty Kane size. I wouldn't mind a Patty Kane..

• Upvote 1

Keller or Sergachev is what i'm hoping for, those are the 2 most dynamic players at their positions who are likely to be available for us at 9th, and this team needs some dynamic offense infused into it in the coming years.

Keller or Sergachev is what i'm hoping for, those are the 2 most dynamic players at their positions who are likely to be available for us at 9th, and this team needs some dynamic offense infused into it in the coming years.

Agree, but I will take Canada's U-18 captain over the American, gold medal at Ivan Hlinka, winner with U-17s and broke McDavid's point record at U-18s, with 15pts in 7gms and likely will be a part in world juniors this year (as will Keller I would guess).

But, Keller does seem a similar smart shifty centre also and will leave it up to Hab Scouts to sort out who is better.

Jost: http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/04/12/tyson-jost-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-13/

Keller http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/04/10/clayton-keller-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-11/

Guest Stogey24

We'll know in less than a week. Could be an interesting draft for the Habs. Maybe a trade does end up happening

They rank him 9th, they don't have him being drafted there.

Its a ranking, not a mock draft.

This is how they partially explain it.

"Unlike many of the fine scouting services out there, which attempt to evaluate which prospects will turn out to be the best players in the NHL over the next five years, TSN's rankings are more a narrow prediction or forecast of when on draft day a prospect is most likely to be chosen."

"So they have Sergachhev going 9th." still seems fine to me.

They also, have Tyler Benson WHL LW at 39th, Samuel Girard Q D at 45th and Conner Hall OHL D at 70th.

Its still not a mock draft because it has no consideration for the team's drafting tendencies or needs.

There is a forward at 8, and Arizona is stacked with forward prospects and have no defence prospects.

Just curious, I don't follow the prospects as closely as most of you do, but assuming we keep our #9 pick, if we had a choice between a Clayton Keller, Logan Brown or Tyson Jost who do you think we should take?

For me it would be a tough choice. 3 different types of players. Keller is a Patrick Kane type (according to Bob McKenzie), Jost is a Jonathan Toews type (according to Bob McKenzie), and Brown is a poor man's Rick Nash type. I think I would eliminate Brown though. Not enough passion to his game and despite his size he doesn't play with enough physicality. Some say a poor man's Rick Nash, I say a possible Guillaume Latendresse IMO. Keller has an elite skill set which is hard to ignore. I think he'll be better offensively than Jost, however I think Jost has a more complete game. So tough call between those two. For the record, I doubt that either one (Keller or Jost) are as good as Kane or Toews. If they were they would be challenging Matthews for #1 overall and this draft would be more hyped than last year's.

Yes, you are correct Stogey. I probably should have mentioned that. I think the same could be said for Keller being compared to Kane. The styles of play are similar, not necessarily the ceilings. I do believe that all 3 will likely be top 6 forwards at the NHL level though. I'd even go so far to say that their ceilings are as first liners, but not star caliber players.