Habs pick Maxim Lapierre with 61st in 2nd round

Habs77

Maxim Lapierre Canadiens' third selection

Selected 61st overall after being sent to the Canadiens from the Flyers as part of the Eric Chouinard deal, center Maxim Lapierre -- a teammate of Urquhart's on the Rocket this past season -- was Montreal's third selection Saturday afternoon, and their second player selected in the second round.

Measuring 6-foot-1 and weighing in at 174 pounds, the native of St. Leonard, QC, notched 43 points (22 goals, 21 assists) with the Rocket this past season. Entering the draft, the 18-year-old was listed as the No. 23 North American skater by the CSB and was ranked 63rd overall by THN.

"I grew up in St. Leonard and Repentigny, so I don't need to tell you I've been a Canadiens' fan since I was eight years old," enthused Lapierre after learning he was Montreal-bound. "I was expecting to go in the second round, so I'm very happy. But to be chosen by the Canadiens, that's just a real honor for me."

An admirer of the style and intensity of the Devils' John Madden, Lapierre is described by scouts as an exceptional skater with a strong shot who is equally adept at passing backward and forward. He is a versatile two-way player who also excels on special teams, both on the power play and on the penalty killing units.

Maxim Lapierre C

Hometown/ville d'origine: Saint Leonard, PQ

Birthdate/Naissance: 03/29/85

HT/T: 6.02

WT/P: 180

Shoots/Lance: R/D

NHL Central Scouting - North American Ranking: 22nd Season Team GP G A PTS PIM

Saison Equipe PJ B A PTS MP

2001-02 Montreal Rocket 9 2 0 2 2

2002-03 Montreal Rocket 50 16 18 34 45

CHL Totals 59 18 18 36 47

Scouting Report:

- Very good on faceoffs

- Strong passer

- Strong at reading a play even without the puck

[Edited on 21-6-03 by Habs77]

[Edited on 22-6-03 by Habs77]

2 guys from Montreal Rockets , thats odd...

Guess our scouts dont like to travel :)

AS must of really seen something he liked from Lapierre to take him after he took Urqhart

he had him 49th:

49/ Lapierre - "I like him. He wants to be a player - he's strong, he works out; he's committed to being a player. He has third-line upside. I don't think he a real gritty, edgy guy but he plays hurt he's in your face all the time, and he's got some abilty. I can see him being a player." Second rounder.

Maxim Lapierre

Team: Montreal Rocket

League: QMJHL

Position: Center

Shoots: Right

Height: 6'1½"

Weight: 174

Born: March 29, 1985 in St. Leonard, Quebec

2002-03 Season

Is rated 23rd among North American prospects on Central Scouting's final ranking, was 22nd at mid-season ... performed at the 2003 CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Kitchener for Team Orr ... completed his first season in Montreal ... named a runner-up for QMJHL Rookie of the Month honors for November ... recorded a season-best four-point game on Nov. 22 (1-3-4 vs. Val d'Or) ... recorded a hat trick on Feb. 21 (3-0-3 vs. Rimouski) ... finished eighth in team scoring ... ranked among the QMJHL rookie leaders in goals (5th), assists (8th) and points (7th).

Personal Profile

Selected 25th overall by Montreal in the 2001 QMJHL midget draft ... split the 2001-02 season between Montreal and the Cap-de-la-Madelaine midget AAA team (16-26-42 in 35GP).

Central Scouting Report

A very good skater with a good stride and excellent balance ... a confident puck carrier with good passing skills ... has excellent on-ice vision and good anticipation of the play ... an intelligent, heads-up player ... possesses an accurate wrist shot ... is a fixture on the power play and penalty killing units ... a solid competitor who pursues the puck with tenacity ... effectively capitalizes on the transition of play ... is solid along the boards and in the corners ... effectively finishes his checks and will not back down in a physical game.

Statistics

Season Team League GP G A TP PIM

2002-03 Montreal QMJHL 72 22 21 43 55

2001-02 Montreal QMJHL 9 2 0 2 2

From ISS, Good skater with mobility Strong on his skates A good checking forward Gives and receives passes well Competes hard for the puck Plays well away from the puck But lacks offensive abilities, shot puckhandling and vision.

Overall game, A very well rounded player that comes to play every night A very strong skater with a powerful stride combinded with excellent balance Is comitted to a 2 way game, plays responsible at both ends, and is very disciplined player. Not afraid of contact, he finishes his checks. Maxim is a skilled defensive forward that needs to develop his offensive game and he could be a good 2 way foward.

They had him ranked 55th. 72-22-21-43 55 pims 6'1.5 185

French link

People are just starting to talk about this 17 year old, and they will for a long time. In his first year he's turning a lot of heads.

Already last year he was in the spotlight being one of the top point getters in Midget AAA... which led to him being selected 25th overall by the Rockets. He is now one of the best young players in the QJMHL.

"I don't put any pressure on myself, I use the media attention as motivation. My goal is obviously to make the NHL and I'll do everything it takes to get there."

At a game held in January with all the best players in the league, with many scouts in attendance, he scored a hat trick. "It was a good test for me, I didn't know what to expect at first... but in the end the experience was good for me."

"I didn't expect to produce this well this soon, but I'm well aware I have a lot to work to get to the next level"

says the 17 year old who seems very mature for his age.

"At first I simply wanted to make the team, then things started clicking for me. I've had a lot of ice-time and that has a lot to do with how well my game has progressed.

Seems like a good pick, only concern is size.

[Edited on 22-6-03 by Habs77]