2016 World Cup thread

JoeLassister

It's the old "hardball" thing, from the caveman management "school of control".

Nearest and best example was when the Bruins goon-ed their way to Vancouver's Cup.

So, yeah, I think it's definitely racial, because P.K. is an outstanding individual, that is trying to bring the game into this century.

He is all a role model to kids should be, work hard, take criticism and work harder, keep your morals and bright and shiny attitude, and F@rk the rest.

Team Canada's loss...

I stand by the 'subliminal racist' argument as a general way of explaining the bizarre aura of negative commentary that surrounded Subban from the start. If PK Subban were Caucasian, he would have been hailed as a lovable superstar and national hero almost from the moment he stepped into the league.

As for Team Canada, I do think other explanations are possible. E.g., just like the 2006 Olympic team did, they are 'keeping a winning unit together.' Typical static, risk-averse thinking, but obviously not 'racial' per se. The other factor is Cup rings. Keith and Doughty are Cup winners. This gives them an aura that Subban doesn't have.

The latter is all right, but the former argument is actually a nice illustration of how subliminal racism reproduces its effects over time. Back when the 2014 team was chosen, PK Subban was still under that 'cloud' of Not Being a Good Canadian Boy and being an uppity black guy who was too 'high risk.' Therefore he was left out of the top 6. Flash forward two years, and PK - after patiently following coach's orders and proving over and over that he is a good teammate - has found a much higher level of acceptance. But because Canada is choosing, conservatively, to reproduce the roster from 2014, Subban is still left outside looking in.

Pathetic.

Over and over I hear about playing safe predictable hockey but then I hear Alex Pietrangelo over Subban and wonder what the hell people are thinking about. Pietrangelo once bounced a puck off Perron into his own net when on the penalty kill after a faceoff when nobody was near him. That's just one example. In every game I've watched him, ain't no way he's safer in the defensive zone than Subban.

Subban and Burns not being first 16 players but Vlasic is, it makes no sense.

top 4 should still have been

#1 Drew Doughty

#2 PK Subban

#3 Duncan Kieth

#4 Shea Weber

there is just no question in my mind, I don't think anyone with a solid hockey pedigree would see it differently, and then this happens...

Took a very short while before race card got played!

Boooooo! :thumbs_down:

Probably, because there is no other logical reason of subban being excluded. They felt it was important to select a 3rd string goalie, but decided to exclude one of the top five dmen in the NHL (not just canada).

Nobody said the first 16 had to be two LD and two RD. It's the first to be announced for the roster. These are the "starters"

They did 2 RD and 2 LD. And the point remains that Burns and Subban aren't in competition with Vlasic because they play different positions.

Burns-Pietroangelo- or Subban likely to be 3rd RH d-man, or so they say, not that I really care which is chosen. However if Subban isn't, the HabFandome will erupt as it did last Olympics, when basically Babcock was the target of vitriol and not Therrien for a while.

When are rest of players supposed to be named?

Subban's offensive metrics are better than all 4 D on the team

but here's the kicker.

HIS DEFENSIVE METRICS are also better than all 4 D on the team.

Do you have a quick and dirty way for me to see this? I have been arguing that PK and Karlsson are tops in the league based on old stats corsi and articles but I would love some printed proof

• 2 months later...

The final rosters will be named this week, either Friday or Saturday depending on whether or not the Conference Final series go 7 games or not. There are a few Habs who could be added although no one is close to being a shoo-in:

Lars Eller (Team Europe)

Alexei Emelin (Russia)

Brendan Gallagher (Canada)

Alex Galchenyuk (Team North America)

P.K. Subban (Canada)

Of those five, I'd guess Emelin is most likely to make it. Galchenyuk should too but his odds are probably dropping with Fabbri and Drouin having strong postseasons while Auston Matthews' World Championships may have got him a spot. I'd classify the others as longshots at best.

Havent' they said that they want an equal number of Canadians and Americans? I dont think he's even competing with Fabbri or Drouin

I think Auston Matthews is a lock though, to sell more tickets in Toronto.

I'd rather have none of them play and avoid losing them to injury

Agreed it is too damn close to training camp. Someone like Subban or Price or Patches gets seriously hurt and we are forked for another year.

Way more fun watching Canada play with Price and Subban in.

Thoroughbreds need to run... guys like them need to play in tournaments like these, it's what builds character to the highest levels.

None of the players play their prime years worrying about an injury, although fans and GM's/coaches probably do, and they still want their players to play, for the most part at least.

And you're right, it's way more fun for us when they play for team Canada.

Price is a better goalie IMO for his olympic experience.

Lemieux really became a better player after playing with Gretzky in 87

Iginla took off in 2002 after playing with Sakic/yzerman.

There are numerous other examples.

I think its a good thing to play in these things, players can learn a lot from being in a tournament playing with and against all elite players. There is value there.