2016 World Cup thread

JoeLassister

Thank God. I'll settle for anything that can be confused with competitive hockey.

Same here. It's been a while without hockey so it'll be nice to see what should be some good games, even if they're really just playing for the Gimmick Cup.

Bah... is hunting season now, so screw the goofy meaningless exhibition hockey. Nother 5 or 6 weeks till real hockey starts and just 10 days till rookie camp to follow.

Plekanec scored vs Russia today (sort of, the puck hit him and went into the net). What was particularly interesting was that on the goal, he and Markov weren't holding back when it came to battling for position in front of the net. Plekanec also was robbed by Bobrovsky with a minute to go on what looked like a sure goal to tie the game.

Plekanec scored vs Russia today (sort of, the puck hit him and went into the net). What was particularly interesting was that on the goal, he and Markov weren't holding back when it came to battling for position in front of the net. Plekanec also was robbed by Bobrovsky with a minute to go on what looked like a sure goal to tie the game.

They were fighting about the Subban trade.

Same here. It's been a while without hockey so it'll be nice to see what should be some good games, even if they're really just playing for the Gimmick Cup.

I'm really looking forward to having it back for the radio shows. I took an outside sales job and I'm in the car all day. There's Rush Limbaugh, but I can't sustain a level of aggravated self-aggrandization for three hours.

Evidently there are stats for the pre-tournament matchups, here are the Habs' from today's games:

Plekanec: 1 goal, 4 PIMS, even rating, 4 shots, 14/19 faceoffs, 17:57 TOI

Markov: 1 assist, 0 PIMS, -1 rating, 2 shots, 4 blocks, 19:13 TOI

Guest Stogey24

Evidently there are stats for the pre-tournament matchups, here are the Habs' from today's games:

I know he's a pro, but I could see the tourney taking a bit out of Markov

19 minutes? We know Michel Therrien isn't coaching. I've never seen Markov's icetime start with a 1.

Canada lost 4-2 to USA

Price definitely a little rust that is to be expected but I think he got more confident as the game wore on.

Weber looked pretty good as well, I thought him and Doughty were Canada's best D men.

The Americans were throwing some pretty rough hits and playing a little dirty for an exhibition match, especially a hit on Weber from Kessler. Probably wanted revenge from when Weber face thumped him not too long ago... Hah

Everything looked alright from Price except that 3rd goal rebound.

Weber looked steady and played very solid, I agree him and Doughty looked the best. Pietrangelo looked off in that game.

A good effort but between Quick being magic and some of our big guns not looking so big, we fell short.

Plekanec scored again today for the Czechs, the game-tying goal with just over a minute left as well. Markov sat for Team Russia while Emelin drew in and was particularly feisty.

Plekanec: 1 goal, +1, 7 shots, 9/21 faceoffs, 23:33 TOI

Emelin: 1 assist, even rating, 4 PIMS, 5 hits, 17:40 TOI

Weber looked steady and played very solid, I agree him and Doughty looked the best. Pietrangelo looked off in that game.

A good effort but between Quick being magic and some of our big guns not looking so big, we fell short.

He didn't hug the post on the Kane goal either.... not something price typically does. He also had some puck handling errors.

He'll be fine though, first game and lots of rust.

I agree...and am not surprised in the least. He was garbage in the first game too.

He doesn't want to get his nose dirty and he did diddlysquat at the Olympics. There's no soft minutes riding shotgun with Davey in a best on best tournament. I don't see any reason to play him over Backes or even Abdelkader.

Through two games, Weber has been quite ornery. It'll be interesting to see if that carries over into the season.

It was probably the dirty hit from Kesler that has set him off, it looked like it hurt. It was awesome seeing JT and Thornton standing up for him and showing the Americans they were not having it.

Weber was also the most played Canadian player this game.

He doesn't want to get his nose dirty and he did diddlysquat at the Olympics. There's no soft minutes riding shotgun with Davey in a best on best tournament. I don't see any reason to play him over Backes or even Abdelkader.

Torts called him out:

http://www.gohabsgo.com/2016/09/11/john-tortorella-singles-out-max-pacioretty/

He was a useless bum many a night for our team last season, and if Therrien wasn't a gutless coach that plays his favorites no matter what, would have been benched or pressboxed on a few occasions. Glad to see him being called out for a change. Captain my a$$

Torts called him out:

http://www.gohabsgo.com/2016/09/11/john-tortorella-singles-out-max-pacioretty/

He was a useless bum many a night for our team last season, and if Therrien wasn't a gutless coach that plays his favorites no matter what, would have been benched or pressboxed on a few occasions. Glad to see him being called out for a change. Captain my a$$

He may not be a leader, but at least he is a Good Boy who doesn't do horrible things like playing with flair and making massive donations to local hospitals without clearing it with team management first. That's what counts.

He may not be a leader, but at least he is a Good Boy who doesn't do horrible things like playing with flair and making massive donations to local hospitals without clearing it with team management first. That's what counts.

This is why you have literally gone from my top 3 favorite posters to my top 3 least favorite. As soon as that trade happened you've lost your mind. I open up a World Cup thread and see some whiny post about Subban in response to what someone said about Pacioretty. Unless I'm mistaken, Subban is not participating in the World Cup and has nothing to do with this thread.

This is why you have literally gone from my top 3 favorite posters to my top 3 least favorite. As soon as that trade happened you've lost your mind. I open up a World Cup thread and see some whiny post about Subban in response to what someone said about Pacioretty. Unless I'm mistaken, Subban is not participating in the World Cup and has nothing to do with this thread.

Relax, bro, it's just a quip from the peanut gallery - not meant as a major contribution to the thread.

On a more serious note: I don't remember watching his play too closely at the time, but Pacioretty put up a whack of points in the 2012 Olympics, so whatever's going on with him right now is presumably either a symptom of pre-season funk (he's perhaps not accustomed to having to crank his game up to 100 in September) OR a symptom of Torterella being an idiot. Honestly, I wouldn't draw conclusions about any player based on two games, and I certainly wouldn't draw conclusions on a player based on two games coached by that frothing moron.