Distraction Thread - Next Year's Starting Lineup

zumpano21

In an additional effort to find a glint of hope amidst all the hand-wringing and despair, what does your ideal/reasonable lineup look like come October 2016?

I've seen a DD for Crosby amongst the threads which I am officially discouraging. That being said, there could be significant changes behind the bench, backup goalie, defencemen 4-7 and probably from 2nd line of forwards down.

Hmmm...

MaxPac - Galy - UFA (Erickson, say)

Carr - Pleks - Gally

Lessio - Eller - McCarron

Byron - Mitchell - Flynn

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Pateryn - Barberio

Price

Condon

Just spitballing, of course. I predict one UFA signing up front, probably not Stamkos so much as one of the good wingers (Erickson, Lucic, maybe Perron), although Stamkos would be great. I think Staal will tempt this organization due to versatility and size.

If this mix holds up, then look to Bergevin (I can;t call him Grizzly Adams any more, he shaved his beard to moderate length) to try to upgrade the defence at the deadline.

I kind of want the Habs to flip Eller or someone for Frolik in Calgary. He's had a rough first year after being a free agent and just put up a hat trick so his numbers don't look as bad as they did. I think he's a great fit for us in the top six and not so much for the Flames.

As for the lineup, probably..

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Eller - Plekanec - Free Agent

Carr - Danault - Andrighetto

Byron - McCarron - Flynn

De la Rose, Desharnais

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Barberio - Pateryn

Emelin

Price

Condon

Pacioretty Galchenyuk UFA

Reway Plek Gallagher

DD MCarron Carr

Lessio Mitchell Flynn

Beaulieu Subban

Markov Petry

Barberio Pateryn

Price

Condon

DLR and PTO veteran defenseman, Andreghetto

I would like to give Reway a few months with the team. If he can't fit in, sign another top 6 guy before deadline.

Trade or dump Emelin, And one of or both of Eller and DD. Right winger needs to be a passer. Chucky can finish, but does not really control the play that well in the O zone

Edited by BCHabnut

I would like to give Reway a few months with the team. If he can't fit in, sign another top 6 guy before deadline.

Trade or dump Emelin, And one of or both of Eller and DD. Right winger needs to be a passer. Chucky can finish, but does not really control the play that well in the O zone

Reway's already talking about signing overseas again next year and how he'll be a free agent next summer. I don't think he's coming over any time soon. (And if he were to come over, I don't think he's exactly close to NHL ready.)

Tkachuk - Plekanec - Okposo(UFA)

McCaron - Eller - Carr

Byron - Danault - Mitchell

Scratches: De La Rose, Flynn

Beaulieu - Subban

Barberio - Petry

Markov - Pateryn

Scratch: Bartley

Desharnais must be moved this summer for anything we can get, Andrighetto can be packaged with Emelin for something to sweeten that pot a little. We also continue on a brutal Slide these next 10 games and with a little luck get to pick 4th and nab Tkachuk. We sign Okposo to a 6mill range contract getting ourselves a big power forward type player who can consistently break the 50 point plateau and solve that need in the top 6.

Guest Stogey24

Danault and Bartley have no business on an nhl roster! Other than that, sounds good. I would want Lessio on my bottom 6 too. I like this guy. Weise replacement.

Who's doing the scouting on these guys(Bartley and Danault)

On reflection, one way to approach this thread is to break it into smaller, sub-debates. E.g.,

1. Which of the young guns are likely to make the team next year?

• A: Lessio, McCarron, Carr (we tend to forget how many of us were impressed by Carr before he got hurt). De La Rose may be in and out of the lineup. Options such as Reway are just out of left field. The guys likely to make it are auditioning right now. I have trouble seeing Ghetto as a legit NHL option, personally.

2. Which vets are in danger of being superseded by cheaper, younger options?

• A: Gilbert (replaced by Barberio) and perhaps Emelin (replaced by Pateryn). Desharnais is an interesting case. He might be worth keeping around as a third-liner who can bring offence, but that 3.5 mil could be put to better use.

3. Is our draft pick likely to make the team out of training camp?

• A: Unless we draft in the top 3 or 4, I'd say: unlikely. Except in rare cases, one shouldn't pencil in a guy straight out of the draft.

4. How many UFAs and at what position?

• A: One, probably not Stamkos but a legit top-6 FW (Erickson, Lucic, Okposo, Perron, Staal).

CC don't forget lil Artturi!

Lehkonen 1g 1a today in SHL playoffs, 5pts in 3 playoff gms. You might want to slot him in somewhere, 3rd line wing beside McCarron maybe?

No, Matteau dosent seem to be impressing anyone at all.

Oh well, I guess he will likely play in Newfoundland in Oct...or be flipping burgers at McDonalds perhaps?

No, Matteau dosent seem to be impressing anyone at all.

Oh well, I guess he will likely play in Newfoundland in Oct...or be flipping burgers at McDonalds perhaps?

Well, you gotta look at the facts. He was traded three years after his draft for (at the time) a depth player. Devils fans think his selection was a sentimental pick and Lamoriello' big recent draft mistake.

The reway thing was just out of left field. Give him a two way contract that allows him to go back overseas if it doesn't work out. PPG player in both men's leagues he played in this year. If he doesn't get a contract this year, he is a free agent. When Carr, ghetto, DLR and McCarron are your offensive options, you have some depth issues in the farm. I would give him a three month tryout. Unless mb can squeeze 3 offensive players into the cap

Bye bye Martin, good luck with KHL or NYRangers, don't let the door hit your ass on way out.

He is like Matteau, he just isn't as good as he thinks he is.

Bye bye Martin, good luck with KHL or NYRangers, don't let the door hit your ass on way out.

He is like Matteau, he just isn't as good as he thinks he is.

What are you basing this assessment on? He is like Matteau? I'm not saying he would succeed but I honestly think it would be worth a try. The forwards kn this team have limited vision imo. Markov Subban have vision and can control the play in the offensive zone. This team has zero forwards with that skill set. Chucky Galy plek and Pacioretty all bring a certain skill set. Setting up plays is not one of them. Don't get me wrong. I'm not sitting here saying he is a saviour. He would most probably fail, but in a line up as pathetic as these forwards at setting up offensive zone high quality scoring chances, I would try it.

Reway's laundry list of transgressions with numerous teams in numerous countries.

Matteau thinks he is a scorer, but really is a grinder at best.

I'll go with major changes..

Pacs - Stamkos - Gallagher

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Yakupov

Matteau - McCarron - Weise

Byron - Danault - Carr/Flynn

Vatanen Subban

Polak - Petry

Pateryn - Barberio

Price

Condon

Guest Stogey24

Vatanen Subban

Polak - Petry

Pateryn - Barberio

Price

Condon

I don't see Montreal adding two young pieces like Yak and Drouin. I think leadership was a missing piece this year.

Vatanen Subban

Polak - Petry

Pateryn - Barberio

Price

Condon

I like this 2nd line because if Therrien doesn't get fired, then those players being on the same line will make him quit instead.

I kind of want the Habs to flip Eller or someone for Frolik in Calgary. He's had a rough first year after being a free agent and just put up a hat trick so his numbers don't look as bad as they did. I think he's a great fit for us in the top six and not so much for the Flames.

As for the lineup, probably..

Eller - Plekanec - Free Agent

Carr - Danault - Andrighetto

Byron - McCarron - Flynn

De la Rose, Desharnais

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Barberio - Pateryn

Emelin

Price

Condon

I am with you Machine for the most part, but would like to give a chance to McCarron with Pleks to give Pleks some linemates who can shield him from the intimidation is is targeted with and to give McCarron a top 6 role.

my last two line are different, but just because of trying to have more size/grit.

Pacioretty-Galcheynuk-Gallagher

Eller-Plekanec-20McCarron

Carr-Desharnais-Mitchell

Byron-Danault-Brown

Lessio/Flynn

Beaulieu-Subban

Markov-Petry

Emelim-Pateryn

Barberio

On reflection, one way to approach this thread is to break it into smaller, sub-debates. E.g.,

1. Which of the young guns are likely to make the team next year?

• A: Lessio, McCarron, Carr (we tend to forget how many of us were impressed by Carr before he got hurt). De La Rose may be in and out of the lineup. Options such as Reway are just out of left field. The guys likely to make it are auditioning right now. I have trouble seeing Ghetto as a legit NHL option, personally.

2. Which vets are in danger of being superseded by cheaper, younger options?

• A: Gilbert (replaced by Barberio) and perhaps Emelin (replaced by Pateryn). Desharnais is an interesting case. He might be worth keeping around as a third-liner who can bring offence, but that 3.5 mil could be put to better use.

3. Is our draft pick likely to make the team out of training camp?

• A: Unless we draft in the top 3 or 4, I'd say: unlikely. Except in rare cases, one shouldn't pencil in a guy straight out of the draft.

4. How many UFAs and at what position?

• A: One, probably not Stamkos but a legit top-6 FW (Erickson, Lucic, Okposo, Perron, Staal).

There's also #5: whoever we get in a trade. Hopefully we can actually get a decent return on Emelin or whoever we manage to dump. We need at least one top-6 forward, and probably another good new top-9 guy who isn't a rookie. We've had a subpar forward group for far too long.