Distraction Thread - Next Year's Starting Lineup

zumpano21

31 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I know the team is winning, but I'd like to see a trade. 

What kind of deal, tweek for cup run, or major deal losing top prospects/picks (even a Sergachev) for a youngish centre or top 4 d-man?

10 hours ago, DON said:

What kind of deal, tweek for cup run, or major deal losing top prospects/picks (even a Sergachev) for a youngish centre or top 4 d-man?

Trade Sergachev to get a young top 4? Naw man, he will be a young top 4 soon anyway. I do smell a trade though Don, but "trades are hard for Marc" remember.

What you thinkin' Stogey? Patch?  Maybe Pleks? Or not that big of a trade?

Guest Stogey24
11 hours ago, DON said:

Yeah, it's tough. You can't give nothing and get something. I'm with KoRP tho, Sergachev is absolutely untouchable

I'm not really sure how much value Plekanec has right now?

As for Pacioretty, can you even make a move like that after trading Subban in the offseason? Don't get me wrong, I'd do it. I just can't see management doing that type of revamp

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Yeah, it's tough. You can't give nothing and get something. I'm with KoRP tho, Sergachev is absolutely untouchable

I'm not really sure how much value Plekanec has right now?

As for Pacioretty, can you even make a move like that after trading Subban in the offseason? Don't get me wrong, I'd do it. I just can't see management doing that type of revamp

TSN690 were beating around the idea, that Pacioretty is possibly playing through an injury, or maybe that his 3 documented concussions have him now shying away from tough areas of ice or going hard to the net.

Don't know if any truth to either idea and I think he is simply in a slump and will get hot, hopefully sooner than later.

1 hour ago, DON said:

TSN690 were beating around the idea, that Pacioretty is possibly playing through an injury, or maybe that his 3 documented concussions have him now shying away from tough areas of ice or going hard to the net.

Don't know if any truth to either idea and I think he is simply in a slump and will get hot, hopefully sooner than later.

He's always been a fairly streaky player, so I'm assuming there will be a bunch of goals coming soon. 

Just trying to put together a lineup for when injured players come back.

Byron - Galchenyuk - Radulov

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Desharnais - Shaw

Danault - Mitchell - Flynn

Extra: Hudon

Emelin - Weber

Markov - Petry

Beaulieu - Redmond

Extra: Barberio, Pateryn

Price

Montoya

If Barberio still has waiver exemption by then, the prudent move would be to stock him back in St. John's.  (And if they want to keep as much cap space open as possible, carrying 8 d-men isn't ideal.)  From a development perspective, is it ideal to have Hudon as the healthy scratch?  For what it's worth, I imagine they'd keep Carr in that spot and have Hudon playing in the AHL. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JGC21 said:

Just trying to put together a lineup for when injured players come back.

Seems to me that a trade is coming, with the CH moving out one of Redmond/Pateryn/Barberio if all D get healthy. At that point, it would be dumb to loose one of these three through waivers. I like the second line, and Byron is playing well on the first line, and shoul dbe there until he cools off. The fourth line would be really good with Terry-Mitchell-Flyn; that leaves the thrid line as the revolving door. I would love for Danault and Shaw to build chemistry so that we can let the others fight it out for the 3rd left wing spot, but I do not see that happening with MT

Showing in bold those potentially in an expansion protection list (meaning they have to play), the line-up becomes something like this:

Byron-Galcheynuk-Radulov

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher

Desharnais-Danault-Shaw

Terry-Mitchell-Flynn

Extras: Carr, Lenkohnen

Emelim-Weber

Markov-Petry

Beaulieu-Redmond

Extras: Barberio-Pateryn,

Price

Montoya

Edited by alfredoh2009

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Seems to me that a trade is coming, with the CH moving out one of Redmond/Pateryn/Barberio if all D get healthy. At that point, it would be dumb to loose one of these three through waivers. I like the second line, and Byron is playing well on the first line, and shoul dbe there until he cools off. The fourth line would be really good with Terry-Mitchell-Flyn; that leaves the thrid line as the revolving door. I would love for Danault and Shaw to build chemistry so that we can let the others fight it out for the 3rd left wing spot, but I do not see that happening with MT

Showing in bold those potentially in an expansion protection list (meaning they have to play), the line-up becomes something like this:

Byron-Galcheynuk-Radulov

Desharnais-Danault-Shaw

Terry-Mitchell-Flynn

Emelim-Weber

Markov-Petry

Beaulieu-Redmond

Price

Montoya

Fixed that for you.

Guest Stogey24
12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Byron-Galcheynuk-Radulov

Desharnais-Danault-Shaw

Terry-Mitchell-Flynn

Emelim-Weber

Markov-Petry

Beaulieu-Redmond

Price

Montoya

So wouldn't protect this team's best forward. 

54 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

So wouldn't protect this team's best forward. 

Lots of teams won't be protecting pending UFA's.  Why use a protection slot on someone you're not sure will be back for next season?  Unless you're absolutely certain you're re-signing Radulov (or already have), it's not really much of a risk to leave him unprotected.

Guest Stogey24

Well Radulov has expressed that he wants to stay in Montreal. 

The motor of this offense has been Radulov. Bergevin better be all but certain he's resigning this guy 

6 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Well Radulov has expressed that he wants to stay in Montreal. 

The motor of this offense has been Radulov. Bergevin better be all but certain he's resigning this guy 

We're what, 21 games into the season?  A lot can change in the next 61 games plus a playoff run.  I don't think they even entertain the idea of an extension for quite a while yet.

Guest Stogey24

The reason Bergevin signed Radulov in the first place is because this is how he plays nightly. Weber was a big advocate of him too 

Therrien said he loves games, practice, and even team meetings. He lives for the game. You don't all of the sudden lose that. 

Couldn't disagree more that they haven't talked about resigning this guy  

The reason Bergevin signed Radulov in the first place is because this is how he plays nightly. Weber was a big advocate of him too 

Therrien said he loves games, practice, and even team meetings. He lives for the game. You don't all of the sudden lose that. 

If they were that confident that he was going to play like this all year, they'd have signed him to a multi-year deal back in July.  We've seen how he plays when things are going well.  Let's wait and see how he plays when the team starts to slump or he goes into a funk himself.  A one year 'prove it' deal is essentially an 82+ game tryout.  A smart team doesn't make definitive conclusions based on a quarter of that time.

It wasn't all that long ago that Bergevin was asked about extending Radulov and he shot down any talk of it before the question was even finished calling it "way too early". http://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/43145/rumblings-why-some-pending-free-agents-wont-be-re-signed-or-traded

Was Weber a big advocate? We know he was asked about Radulov, but did Weber have both good and negative comments? Bergevin risked just offering a 1 year deal, when supposedly other teams offered two, so Bergevin must not of been totally sold by Fedorov and Weber references?

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Lots of teams won't be protecting pending UFA's.  Why use a protection slot on someone you're not sure will be back for next season?  Unless you're absolutely certain you're re-signing Radulov (or already have), it's not really much of a risk to leave him unprotected.

Yes, that was why I thought it was interest that MB insisted on a one year deal. To avoid having to use a protection list spot for Rad. Some others unprotected are based on comments on the board about player under certain numbers of games/years that do not need to be protected.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Under the CBA, they can't re-sign him before January. 

Just for clarification-- Could they talk to him and have deal in place before a January resigning or they can't talk to him at all before January?

• 1 month later...

I've been pleasantly surprised by Danault this year ( I assume I'm not alone ). Does anyone know his true ceiling? Is the inevitable pecking order for centremen next year going to be:

1 - Chucky

2 - Danault

3 - Mac

4 - Mitchell 

8 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

I've been pleasantly surprised by Danault this year ( I assume I'm not alone ). Does anyone know his true ceiling?

God might.:spamafote:

3rd line seems a good spot, but down the road who knows? He has never been a big goal scorer, even in junior, so full time top six centre dosent seem likely.

10 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

I've been pleasantly surprised by Danault this year ( I assume I'm not alone ). Does anyone know his true ceiling?

I'm reminded of when Lapierre played top six for a few games really well and I was convinced he could be a top six centre. He also had chemistry with Latendresse and it felt like they would just both move up a line after 08-09.

This team doesn't have a second-line C. Based on his play so far this season, I'd rate Danault marginally ahead of Pleks, because he at least shows some signs of awareness of how to use his linemates (something Plekanec has never been very good at). Plekanec, meanwhile, no longer has the wheels to play the 'torpedo' offensive game he once did and is now a pure checker.  I would add that it's very hard to see how this formula = a Cup champ. Galchenyuk will be mercilessly targeted come playoff time.