2016 NHL Playoffs Thread

dlbalr

It's time for that annual tradition - me forgetting to start the NHL Playoff thread before the actual playoffs begin. Maybe next year...

Goaltending was the story last night. Fleury didn't play while Lundqvist got hurt. Meanwhile, we had a 1-0 OT game in the West.

Here's our predictions for the series that started on Wednesday: http://www.habsworld.net/2016/04/habsworld-predicts-2016-playoffs-round-1-part-1/

Don't really care about the playoffs. Wouldn't mind seeing jagr or ovechkin win, don't want the Rangers (friggin Kreider), to win, but otherwise don't give a damn. Hated bruins are out. Ordinarily would be rooting for whoever plays them.

Don't really care about the playoffs. Wouldn't mind seeing jagr or ovechkin win, don't want the Rangers (friggin Kreider), to win, but otherwise don't give a damn. Hated bruins are out. Ordinarily would be rooting for whoever plays them.

Agree.

It's actually got me pretty down, to tell the truth. This was supposed to be a year when we made hay. The playoffs were considered a given, it was just a question of how deep we'd go. Instead, there's nothing, nada, zilch. Most exciting time of year and the Habs are completely irrelevant. It sucks.

Deserve... got nothing to do with it! :ph34r:

I guess Panthers if got to pick which I prefer to win, Luongo 'deserves' it more, seems like quite a likable witty fellow and has stopped a lot of rubber in his career so,

Go Florida Go!

Deserve... got nothing to do with it! :ph34r:

I guess Panthers if got to pick which I prefer to win, Luongo 'deserves' it more, seems like quite a likable witty fellow and has stopped a lot of rubber in his career so,

Go Florida Go!

Welcome aboard!

Unfortunately, Leaky Lou hasn't made a save since the All Star break. Still, I can't see the Islanders beating the Panthers four times. The Panthers are young and should get better as the series goes on.

Guest Stogey24

Excuse me. That would be a certain #9 from the Montreal Canadiens. :rastapop:

Ya, he was alright ;)

I was just looking at the all time list of goal scorers. Didn't realize how high up recchi is on there.

I wonder if Ovi is statistically much farther ahead of the average NHLer goal production for his time than a Bossy, Lemieux back in the higher scoring days.

Would Ovi get 70+ every year facing goalies with smaller equipment back in the 80s?

Guest Stogey24

I was thinking that too. The size of the goalies alone, compared to what they were back in the day, has to be taken into account. You don't see many under 6'3 now.

I wonder if Ovi is statistically much farther ahead of the average NHLer goal production for his time than a Bossy, Lemieux back in the higher scoring days.

Would Ovi get 70+ every year facing goalies with smaller equipment back in the 80s?

Ovi would hold the record for goals in a season if he had of played when Gretzky was king... especially if he had Gretz, or Oates, or a great playmaker on his line, there is no doubt he is the purest goal scorer of his era is there? His era of league wide low scoring...

Ovi would hold the record for goals in a season if he had of played when Gretzky was king... especially if he had Gretz, or Oates, or a great playmaker on his line, there is no doubt he is the purest goal scorer of his era is there? His era of league wide low scoring...

He is the greatest goal scorer of this era, not much doubt about that. (Although it's also worth remembering that he's had quite a checkered career, complete with wasted seasons and dubious playoffs). I don't think there's much percentage in imagining how he would do back in 1975. Today's players are so much more fit and so much stronger skaters that Dale Weise would probably be a dominant guy if a time machine somehow deposited him back then.

As for Recchi, everyone here hates him because he played with the Bruins and because of the 'Dr. Recchi' thing, but he was an excellent player and a terrific Montreal Canadien.

Recchi was a very good player, who played for a long time, was relatively healthy throughout his career, and played at least part of his career prior to 1995 in the high scoring NHL.

He accumulated some massive numbers that are way up there amongst the best in NHL history.

But I will never think of him as an "all-time great" kind of guy. A hall of famer? sure. A very good player? absolutely. But all-time kind of guy? His stats are more about his longevity than the fact he was ever truly dominant.

Recchi was a very good player, who played for a long time, was relatively healthy throughout his career, and played at least part of his career prior to 1995 in the high scoring NHL.

He accumulated some massive numbers that are way up there amongst the best in NHL history.

But I will never think of him as an "all-time great" kind of guy. A hall of famer? sure. A very good player? absolutely. But all-time kind of guy? His stats are more about his longevity than the fact he was ever truly dominant.

True.

Bounce back from Leaky Lou.

Elbowkader pounded Mike Blunden from behind when he was face down on the ice. He's become one of the biggest weasels in the league. I would much rather see the Bruins play than the Wings. The Wings don't deserve to be there, and they play a terrible brand of hockey. I've never seen a team die a slower death than Detroit. They're like a 92 Corolla, three different colors and they can't drive on the highway, but they still start up.

• Upvote 2

Elbowkader pounded Mike Blunden from behind when he was face down on the ice. He's become one of the biggest weasels in the league. I would much rather see the Bruins play than the Wings. The Wings don't deserve to be there, and they play a terrible brand of hockey. I've never seen a team die a slower death than Detroit. They're like a 92 Corolla, three different colors and they can't drive on the highway, but they still start up.

I totally agree. The last two years they have had no business in the playoffs. This year they won a ton of games on the 3 on 3 OT. It bugs me that 3 on 3 is weighted the same as regulation as a playoff tie breaker.

Guest Stogey24

Good post. The entire game I was wondering how the hell Detroit made the playoffs and Montreal didn't. They do play an absolute shit brand of hockey.

I totally agree. The last two years they have had no business in the playoffs. This year they won a ton of games on the 3 on 3 OT. It bugs me that 3 on 3 is weighted the same as regulation as a playoff tie breaker.

The Flyers did the same thing, but I can respect a team that made a run.

I hate to ride a hobby horse, but considering Detroit and Boston down the stretch, I really believe they could have shipped out a pick or two and made the playoffs.